Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Georgia defensive lineman stopped for speeding, later arrested

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageReport: Georgia defensive lineman stopped for speeding, later arrested

ATHENS — Georgia defensive lineman Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins was stopped for speeding and later that day placed in jail, according to multiple reports.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't have any idea if other schools have this problem, but it sure feels like we have more than our fair share.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I don’t disagree with any of those statements.

in regards to the excess speed, try driving just the speed limit on 285 ( which it’s 55mph and some Georgia tech students posted a video about this a few years ago on YouTube), or on I-75 coming into Atlanta from the north side before 7:30 am any given work day.

my opinion is, this stuff happens everywhere but it isn’t news when a backup player at Vanderbilt or Missouri get a speeding ticket because no one cares. But when you win back to back natty’s you are scrutinized on everything from driving to salad dressings.

regardless, we are one day closer to defending our titles!

go dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Driving 85 on 85 is actually very common. If you drive 70 on the interstate you will get run over.

The handicap thing just sounds like a **** thing a lot of people have done at one time or another when every space is filled up and there are like 5 empty handicap spots. Kind of dumb though and even dumber to not show up/pay the fine. I am more concerned in this case by the handicap thing then the speeding thing.

Looks like someone will be running some stairs. Going to be painful.

I have an idea about these football players who have more than 1 speeding ticket. There is a dorm right next to the stadium on the backside with that steep hill next to the rail road tracks. Put the football players who have more than 1 speeding ticket in that dorm and take away their driving priviledges in Athens. They can take the bus or catch a ride with a friend if they want to go somewhere. Then they can walk to the stadium and practice and all that.

At least that is what I would do at this point. They have lost the priviledge to be a driver AND a football player. If they don't like it they can transfer.

That hill is also a beast and could be used to discipline these dudes.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the old days coaches would have ran their you know what's off but with the threat of heat **** if a kid dies then your responsible. Not sure what it will take to get through to these kids(young men). Take their toys away? I don't think the message is getting through.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

You can thank NIL money and **** kids for this mess.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a normal speeding ticket—20 miles an hour over the speed limit. No story here, really. And… arrested for parking in a handicap spot? 🙄 (I realize the arrest was due to him not paying the fine and not showing up for court.)

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time to build a race track just for the students. It can be a mechanical engineering class or maybe some calculus course. Even a physics class. Or an art and design class. There are so many possibilities. And it’s for students only!!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Parking in a handicap space is classless AF. Straight dbag move.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apparently I've offended the classless.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was always presented to me….

”Son, don’t go parking in one of those unless you’re one who needs it. Or else if you do go parking there out of laziness you may one day yourself need that space cause you are handicapped by something.”

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reason that we keep seeing this behavior repeated is because none of the players truly fears the consequences of their actions. Everyone will say it's drastic, but I truly believe it won't stop or begin to slow down until Kirby actually kicks someone off the team. Until then, we're going to keep seeing these reports. And sooooo many people, Kirby Smart included, will continue to say that, while they are "disappointed" that it keeps happening, everyone understands that this is just something that young people do. That's true, but they don't HAVE to do it. I know it's hard to believe, but there are young people who drive a car every day and have NEVER received a ticket for speeding or wreckless driving, so it can be done. Until Kirby takes the most extreme action he can -- kicking someone off the team -- we'll just continue to see this. Until someone else gets killed.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not sure a coach can legally take away driving privileges in the vicinity of the school.

• Options

More than other schools or more reporting? I didn't save the link, but during my exhaustive research (15-20 minutes of googling), I found an insurance website that suggested "well over half" of 16 to 25 yr old males have gotten "at least" one moving violation.

• Options

Parking in a handicap space is a jerk move.

My suggestion is that Kirby Smart should assign the guy "community service" to a retirement community or orthopedic therapy center, so he can meet some of the people he's "competing with" for the space.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Here’s an idea. For every mile over the speed limit, make them run stadium steps and I don’t mean one step for every mile. If they go 15 miles over the speed limit, they run 15 stadium steps a day in the lower sections for 15 days straight.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Kind of a “double jerk” move parking in the space and skipping his court date. He seems to be a fairly reckless rule breaker who needs to grow up and respect authority. I apologize if this is his first screw-up, but my bet it isn’t

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

I'm aware of that, however you can ask these players to voluntarily abide by some additional rules that the team captains working with the coaches institute. Something has to be done because it is not working now (the whole education thing).

I know driving is considered a priviledge and the university could institute a set of guidelines for all students that require them to report to the student board if the violations warrant it. I have no problem seeing a student board taking away driving priviledges in university areas to include parking spaces for repeat and serious offenders. They are a threat to other students and people with their careless/reckless driving.

Not sure why this is so hard to figure out. Why shouldn't a repeat reckless driving student be punished?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Didn't this kid just get out of high school? He's only been driving, what a year...2, maybe, if he had a car.

His parents had him...Kirby's got him. Give him time to work. Dang!

Hell...I did 92 along with 11 other cars on 95...just yesterday...and, we were passed by several vehicles, including a semi.

So, I think I got him beat. You divide the risk of getting "stopped", between 8-12 other vehicles...but, he's young and don't know. Lol

• Options

I agree you need to be careful and let these kids grow up and hopefully they will learn quickly.

Just a note Clarke County Police are pulling over people who get on their phones at red lights and giving out tickets especially to student age persons. So if you live in the area as I do, do not pick up your phone and text anyone at a red light in Clarke County. It's a 50 dollar ticket fwiw.

Be Safe Out There!