Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How recent recruiting decisions impact Georgia football safety position

SystemSystem Posts: 10,520 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageHow recent recruiting decisions impact Georgia football safety position

Earlier this summer, it looked like Georgia was poised to add three top safety prospects to its future roster. Peyton Woodyard and Jaylen Heyward were committed to play for Georgia, while the Bulldogs seemed to be in a good spot to land 5-star prospect KJ Bolden.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aguero as pointed out is probably a future 1st or 2nd round pick. He will be an AA with Starks next year. So we basically will have 2 AAs playing at safety. Who else will be able to say that?

Major buzz coming out about Rhett who may be just as good.

We will be fine. If injuries happen we can pick up a portal but with the crosstraining of corners (we have 6 studs there) one or 2 of them will be good safeties.

No time to panic. We are set for the next 3 years.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yesterday Connor was doom and gloom about the RB room. Today he is super optimistic about the DB’s.

I appreciate the information he provides, but please stay on the “we will be great” path. Because whatever May happen with recruiting or injuries. WE ARE THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS!! Nothing finer in the land.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options

This is an excellent post. We just got wind that Branson Robinson is WAAAY ahead of where many of us thought in his recover process. Instead of looking like mid-season return he legitimately has a chance to return near the beginning of the season. That is HUGE news for us.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the losses at S expected after this season (CR mentions 3 likely S losses), this recruiting cycle will need to have multiple S's added. UNLESS UGA decides to go more "in" on the TP in the future.

Starks is good and has 2 more seasons. Neither Thomas nor DD-S have impressed so far. Thomas is still developing and can be expected to improve some. DD-S has been on campus 3 (?) yrs. He seems to be consistently out of position on the back end. Aguero has shown promise but to say he is an AA or future high draft pick is very premature. In any event, the way UGA plays D (and practices) having only 2 good players at S is problematic. You may see more imports from the TP by UGA . Primarily by players who have exceeded their HS ratings, who have done well at a lower level and are looking for additional exposure by playing at UGA/SEC. It is already a common trend around the country w/the TP.

Without changes coming to the NIL "rules(?)", this will be a pivotal year for UGA recruiting and recruiting philosophy. Especially if any more "commits" get flipped ($$). Rumor has it that AL is coming hard after Ellis Robinson. FSU is coming hard after Perlotte. Does CKS/UGA continue to focus on development and the big (NFL) payoff later or will UGA be forced to start throwing more NIL money around now to retain recruits/players (see AMims).

NIL is a slippery slope that CKS has successfully navigated so far. So far he seems to have resisted alienating veteran players by throwing large sums of money at unproven HS players. Can he continue to do that? What will happen in the FSU DB room when Bolden shows up there with a pocket full of cash and is playing behind veteran players w/o as much payola?

Cash payouts are making recruiting prowess obsolete. It will be interesting (and painful) to watch how this plays out this year and next.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent questions !! Wish I knew the answers. But as you said Kirby has a way of navigating through these things. And I Do realize that the S position is a critical position. But what better coaches than Kirby and staff to take say a 3 star Now and prepare him for Later ??

And I agree with you we Might well see Kirby dip the net in the TP more so for this position than in the past at Any position. On RB I looked over our roster last night and we’re gonna be just fine. But I sure hope for Milton’s sake he can Greatly recover from his injuries then go on to have a banner year. From all I’ve read he’s a great kid and a DGD.

I’m sorry to see the injury bug latching on to him so often. Unfortunately that’s gonna be a topic for him when he goes NFL. He Needs a really good year.

Keep an eye on Roderick Robinson !! If he produces even close to his HS time he’s gonna be dynamite !! Same for Branson when he’s fully healthy !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgfromILMDawgfromILM Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

But why did they leave?

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel like I’m watching The Princess Bride again and again in thinking that word does not mean what I think it means. Commitment used to mean something totally different.

• Options

Stacks of dollar bills can change that definition rather quickly. We've got a great class right now and let's hope we can keep it. Maybe we can flip a couple guys. We have openings at safety and wr if anyone is interested in playing on a perenniel national championship contender.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Flips happen- even before NIL. remember George Pickens as a recent example. You get the young men who think they want to be a dawg. Still got the portal but the real DAWGS stick it out. Coaches got this. Just enjoy the games

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm never going to be in the "we'll be just fine camp." If that was the case, Kirby never would have signed guys and pursued others so hard in the first place. He's not stacking players just for fun. I strongly agree with @UGADad20 that I think the moment is fast approaching where Kirby is going to have to change HIS approach to NIL. One or two flips or recruiting losses is one thing -- but to have three at the same position, something is going on. Why put all that effort to recruit a kid, have him commit -- and possibly block another kid who may have committed -- only to have the kid flip his decision three months later? With everything Georgia has going for it right now, there has to be more to these "flips" that that ubiquitous and thoroughly asinine, "???? just felt like home" comment that all recruits make. How can you NOT want to play safety at UGA? And you'd rather play for UCF? Come on, now. As my late grandmother used to say, "something in the milk ain't clean." Go Dawgs!

• Options
    paleodawgpaleodawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

At a certain point, I wish the sport media would just drop the word "commitment" and use the more generic "a verbal". This way, we can say "Player A has given a verbal to UGA."

Yeah, I know everyone just thinks "verbal commitment" in that scenario, but frankly, very few of these kids are giving a commitment - they're giving something just to stay in the team's pipeline and/or keep that scholly offer. It's not a commitment of any kind.

• Options

If you have 26 kids who 'commit' verbally and 4 who verballed and then flipped thats around 15%. That means so far 85 percent of the kids have and continue to keep their 'committment.' That is still pretty good. Now if we end up in a situation (goodness please no) where 40 or 50 percent flip then I would agree the word means nothing anymore. 85 percent is still pretty good.