Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Kirby Smart: ‘Nobody says you have to be the best team after Week One’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
image3 takeaways from Kirby Smart: ‘Nobody says you have to be the best team after Week One’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart is a process-driven coach who makes it a point not to get ahead of himself.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UT Martin stacked the Box. Need to have some plays designed for that. Not going to get much push through the center. Toss Sweep use to be the answer.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It wasn't just that. If that was all it was then Kirby and Bobo and Searals wouldn't be riding the Olines butts this week hard. Those boys just didn't get any push and their footwork and handwork was garbage on run blocking. If they don't improve this game (I beleive they will come out with a vengeance) then they can forget about the Joe Moore Award.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Based on the all talk during camp -- and even now -- I would have thought Blaske would have gotten more snaps. Wasn't he supposed to be in a neck-and-neck battle for a starting job with somebody at some point during the summer? Just looking at snaps alone, it doesn't look like it, although Kirby did say that he trusts him. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I expect us to look great this coming week for several reasons below:

• Motivation that we have to work to get results and people are not going to lay down for us
    • Get some more guys healthier
    • 2nd game - less jitters
    • Ball state is a very beat up team after their loss last week
    • We've got tape on Ball State
    • We will add in some additional plays that will help us
    • Doubtful that Ball State has a punter like these last guys

So there are my reasons for optimism.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. I think Dawgs fans had a Huge contrast to over come. That being a seasoned “been through the fire” loaded with veteran players who absolutely tromped TCU vs. a New here, New there, New every where, injured Dawgs team. Many guys making their first ever collegiate Real Game snaps. I could go on and on. But I Honestly Believe we’ll see our Dawgs get better every week. As injured vets get back to 100% and the “New” continues to wear off the newbies. TONS and TONS of potential with this team. And that potential Will be realized on the field as I said better every week. We’ll see…..

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I nominate Alabama as first week champions!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The answer is to continue beating up on the opponent. That's always our game plan. We are a second half, 4th quarter team.

Kirby knows about toss sweeps, etc. We'll use them when we need 'em.

We run up the middle for various reasons, all of which are good reasons, and are very likely to run up the gut over and over on Saturday against Ball State. Why anyone would care what plays we run when we win by 41 points is beyond me. Trust Kirby & Company to know the score.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

That was Kirby's challenge, IMO...."open holes against a Team intent on stopping the run". They won some...and, lost some [Gaining 3 yds is a win]. But, that was expected, as this was the first time those 5 guys worked together in a game. It's a little different than "practice", any way you slice it.

I thought they did a great job....all things considered. One area that was very impressive...was their pull-blocking on the perimeter and downfield blocking. Watch the Mews run closely and you'll see 2 guys pulling from the right side...and the other 3 guys, release downfield after chipping. They set up a red picket fence...and, everybody had contact. Beautiful.

But, they didn't run plays like that counter, very often. Scoring wasn't the concern. "Practice blocking assignments and communication", in the face of adversity and overwhelming odds, was understandably, the order of the day.

Moreover...I'm not convinced we're gonna see much different, this weekend. Ball State, is coming off a very tough game against another SEC Team, known for their physicality....Kentucky. Ball St. is beat all to hell, right now.

I see this weekend's game as being another "Coaching Moment" for Smart's team [and Ball St]. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me, to find out the Coaching Staffs worked together to script out a game plan the way you would a scrimmage. I know for a fact...Kirby doesn't want to go to a "running clock" or "12 minute clock" in the 4th quarter.

Can't wait for the Carolina Game. That one, will show us something. I think Kirby's boys are gonna be eating "Gamecock on a Stick" at that following Sunday's, "Team Meal". Lol

• Options
    edited September 2023

He could be good...if he learned how to dial it back, when needed. Kicking it into the endzone isn't "a good punter" in the SEC. That 65 yd kick in the air, was great...until it hit the ground. You have to learn how to apply a little"english" to the ball, when needed....to give your guys a chance to down it inside the 20....or, at least, target the ball toward the corner or sideline.

I didn't get a good feel for his "hang time"...but, it seemed like he was out-kicking his coverage on most, if not all of his punts. And, that's something you DO NOT want to do. There must be a reason he's not on the NIL Plan with a bigger school. Or, maybe we'll see him kick in the SEC, next year....ya never know. Lol

• Options

🤣🤣🤣....I nominate this as "The Overreaction of the Week".

• Options
    edited September 2023

He may have been one of the :Walking Wounded". Trust me...we don't KNOW anything, yet. Particularly based on last week and this weeks games. Course...we knew that before the season even started.

And....so did the UGA Coaching Staff. They beat the heck out of those kids in Fall Camp....knowing...the Dawgs wouldn't face a real challenge to their "NFL" Team, til around October.

Gives them plenty of time to lick their wounds. The aches and pains will "go away"...but, what they learned in Camp, "will stay".

• Options

Exactly! The Dawgs are "on-track", IMO. I don't know what Fans were expecting. Lol...this is how Kirby has been building depth and reinforcing his "Physicality" mantra since he's been a HC. We don't need to know how the sausage is made...just, eat it.

That being said....some of us DO know how the sausage is made. It's a process. I think Kirby mentioned once...how many quality reps a player needs to see, before he's ready to assume a key role. These first 2 games are perfect...[even if not planned, initially]...for "player development".

I love what I'm seeing....even from the kickers. Lol

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Count on Ball State stacking the box....September will be a war in the trenches and I expect Kendall and Daijun to both chalk up 20 plus yd runs. Also expect Bowers, Cash and Mews to be explosive. Ball State also is beat up in their secondary so here comes MRJ, Dom, and Arian. I think McConkey rehabs another week and RaRa will make a splash in the forth......seems to be a real "connection" between RaRa and Griff! As for our "jukin and Jivin" QB's, big runs for both Vandagriff and Stockton as they continue to set the example for Carson! Keeping my fingers crossed on special teams....for a big kick off or punt return by Arian or Mews.....All in All we will see big Dawg improvements......for all you LSU & Clem Fans, don't lose faith as this week of practice will prove to be the cure of their "cranial rectitus" from week 1......you only win when you play to win rather than expecting your opponent to lose.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

The answer to domination is to dominate both lines of scrimmage which we did not do. We need to find ways to make the QB uncomfortable. We also need to get more sacks and turnovers as well as move the ball better against lesser competition. That should be and will be the UGA focus on Saturday.

• Options

Uncomfortable in what? The pocket? There was no pocket. Virtually every play was designed to get the ball out quick. That's how you counter a team with "a rush". I don't care who UT Martin was playing...there weren't many "sack opportunities"...that I saw, anyway.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

That still does not address our OL not dominating their DL. Our OL needs to push Ball State around, period, can we agree on that?

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our offensive line needs to push South Carolina around, and Auburn around, etc.

We probably don't need to push Ball State around to win convincingly and to Kirby's satisfaction, but it might be a nice skill to practice.

We hope to give significant game reps to players deep on the depth chart as they particularly need the practice, and we need them to grow up in a hurry. We depend on having strong, experienced players several layers down the depth chart.

Go, Dawgs!