Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Georgia offensive plan in place, no holding back ‘shots and play-action’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Georgia offensive plan in place, no holding back ‘shots and play-action’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart indicated Georgia football will not be holding back against Ball State on Saturday, any more than the Bulldogs held back against UT-Martin.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Run sets up the Pass sets up the Run. Or Pass sets up the Run sets up the Pass. With being so thin at RB it caused that to be a weaker link in the chain. Not excuses, reality.

So Hopefully with Daijun being back, Maybe Milton even a little more healthy, and the new guys like Cash and Robinson being past the first game jitters and having seen film and corrections being made, one would think the Run part of the game will be smoother and thus the whole O smoother.

Oh and Hopefully our O line will be called out and challenged in practice this week. They did pretty good in pass protect but they Also must do much better at opening holes for the run. Must do Both at an Elite level to win games and awards !! I’m hoping and believing we will see a smoother O verses Ball St. Defense just keep doing your thing !!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Michael_Scarn

Exactly. Patrick Mahomes misses throws as did Brady and Manning. Beck does not have to play a perfect game for this team to win every game on the schedule.

• Options

My only question during and after the game: why was Bobo so insistent on running between the tackles against an 8-man box? An 8-man box makes the defense susceptible to sweeps and obviously the passing game. Really surprised Bobo did not run wide more.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby is a master of psychology. I'm not so sure he doesn't do things against these "jobber" teams to put the O Line (and other units) at an almost impossible disadvantage and then, during tape review, look at his O Linemen and say something to the effect of, "You guys are four and five stars, and two stars are kicking your tails." Knowing full well that five or six O linemen cannot effectively run block against eight or nine defensive players, no matter their star rating. Kirby wants to make his guys think about each given situation; he doesn't subscribe to a "no win" situation. Kirby wants his guys to be like Captain Kirk of Star Trek fame, who beat the Kobayashi Maru simulator on his third try at the Starfleet Academy by thinking "outside the box". Like I've said before, Kirby is playing chess; everyone else is playing checkers.

• Options

@JimWallace,

I understand the philosophical point you're making and if it's working I agree(running inside against a loaded box) but if it's a collective failure from the first quarter until the end of the game, then I don't understand. Maybe Ernest Greene needed to play against a loaded box but I can't fathom why very experienced players at the other positions would need that. Also, let me be clear in that I am not anti-Bobo in the least.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, we have only had one QB go 24-25 and his name was Lambert, not Greene, Shockley, Zeier, Murray, Stafford, Bennett, Eason or Fromm...

So it happens.

Beck completed 21 of his 31 pass attempts for 294 yards and no turnovers in three quarters. Two of the incompletions were drops by Lovett, two should have been called pass interference to A. Smith, two were overthrows, and two were throwaways due to coverage and pressure. I think there were two more drops in there as well --to Thomas and one other, Bell maybe. So really only two bad passes out of the 10 incompletions should be directly attributable to poor QB play.

And of course, Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint and Ladd McConkey were out.....

All in all a pretty good night for a first time start!!!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Excellent article, Mike. It gives a ton of insight, into what Kirby's thinking. Lol...below, is a very creative way of saying, "more of the same Saturday"...as expected.

And, they most definitely "held back"...and, challenged the offensive line to do something you won't see em have to do against the likes of Carolina or Tennesse.

"will not be holding back against Ball State on Saturday, any more than the Bulldogs held back against UT-Martin."_____Kirby Smart

If they want to set up the long ball, with play action...why did they run "Power I" plays...without a FB...against a 7/8 man front? Not many...if any...counters, traps or sweeps, that are typically run out of a single back set. That's what spreads a defense out...and allows for the "runs up the middle.

It looked to me, like Smart and Bobo intentionally made it difficult on the OL & RB, by telegraphic what they were doing. That's just my opinion.

• Options

That question was answered, within "the article". Bobo ran the plays he was "allowed to run", by the HC...as part of an overall strategy. Smart "set the parameters", before the game. I'm sure he's not going to share, exactly what those parameters were. But, I think we've got a pretty good idea.

My guess is...that strategy was Player & Team Development. If you can open holes on UTM, against a stacked box...opening holes against a Carolina or Tennessee will be much easier...when you have the whole playbook at your disposal.

• Options

Excellent post, my friend. I have to question why anyone would "Vote it Down". If they disagree or have something to add..."do that". I really don't get this "Voting" business, anyway. Do we get paid something for getting a bunch of "Up Votes"? 🤣

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, you do not get a free sub for up votes...

I don't think Kirby gives a rip about what any of us say after the non-sense he went through with Fromm and Fields, then Stetson starting. How can you blame him? Now he is the first 2 time NC coach in Georgia history so he can basically tell all of us to "Go Fly A Kite"

Kirby cares more about this than you and my Aunt Margaret. He does. Really...

That doesn't make him always right, however, he is right about Beck and the rest of you stooges who are doubting Beck are about to be proven wrong. As far as Bobo goes, I have my reservations. I am trusting Kirby has got this. I think Bobo heard a very subtle but poignant "**** Bobo" after that run before the half. I'm sure Bobo is not happy about that and will make sure Beck gets it right next time.

The bigger issue is the Offensive Line play. Crapola! I believe that has been fixed and we will never see that lack of effort again. If we do those players will be replaced as starters.

As a fan "HOW CAN YOU NOT BE SATISFIED?"

We have the best coach in college football right now and a great staff. We have a very good chance to win it all again.

• Options
    edited September 2023

🤣🤣...thanks for the laugh. I needed that. How old is your Aunt Margaret....and, does She make house calls? Lol

@MikeGriffith ...I saw you on Finebaum. I couldn't believe, you were that sold on Milroe, after only one performance...against a Team, that may have been over-matched, even more than UT-Martin.

I believe you are dead wrong about Texas and their offense. They were dialing it back some, against an over-matched [there's that word again], Rice team...IMO. You know doggone well, Sark kept a few things, close to the vest, for their showdown in Tuscaloosa Saturday night.

I realize playing in Tuscaloosa is a challenge for anyboby...but, the Longhorn QB has been there, done it...[not in Tuscaloosa, but, you get my point]..while, this is the Bama QB's first "real" test. A lot of those QB runs were not designed, BTW. Why would he have to bail the pocket...against Middle Tennessee State?.

And, I was not impressed with their Oline. Look at the game against Middle TN ST. You can catch 2 or 3 guys, with a fist full of jersey or shoulder pad, on multiple plays. Downfield and kick return blocking wasn't any better..."Blocking in the Back" and other sloppiness.

They got away with it last Saturday. Question is...will they get away with it THIS Saturday. I know what Texas can bring...if it's a clean game. Lol

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We were never going to lose this game. So, there is something to be said about if you'e not moving the ball running up the gut(not blocking well) then now is the time to work on it. nost against a good SEC team. I get that. My complaint is if we're truly one of the best O-lines in the country(subjectively) and they go up against one of the best D-lines in the country during the week, then why so little push on the O-line? Something doesn't add up.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

I agree strongly with @JimWallace. I believe recall in watching film studies by Brooks Austin after Samford and Kent St last year that we were running TONS of counter that seemed to be unproductive at times. However, he pointed out a number of instances later in the season where we executed counter against better teams (one being a critical third down late in the fourth against Mizzou - for example). So the reps were valuable to get tape.

Additionally, look at our schedule… as of now there doesn’t appear to be a lot of challenges. So I’d be surprised if the coaches WEREN’T looking for ways to manufacture adversity/challenges.

I say we all enjoy the win, remain optimistic (as it seems most level headed fans are); and wait to REALLY critique the team until after the Auburn game when we have some SEC play under our belt.

ps. I’ve been a jerk here in the comments in the past and want to apologize to any journalist (@MikeGriffith) or commenters I’ve offended. Feeling strongly your are right DOESNT justify being a horses rump. Wanna change my approach going forward.

GO DAWGS tomorrow!