Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Dillon Bell has added value in depleted backfield

SystemSystem Posts: 10,538 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Dillon Bell has added value in depleted backfield

ATHENS — Kirby Smart challenged his players to be honest with themselves last week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to go Dillon Bell !! Time will tell the full story. But he looks like a legitimate threat coming out of the backfield. Rivals won’t know if he’s gonna be running the ball or catching it. Just adds another dimension to the O. He’s Certainly a great athlete no doubts !!

Mews is sort of a hybrid scat back, can certainly catch the ball, has great speed, can certainly make defenders miss. A burner when the ball is in his hands !!

Cash is a very capable runner, can catch the ball pretty good, has pretty decent speed, makes some pretty decent moves to make defenders miss. What I admire about Both Cash and Mews to is how tough they are. Both especially Cash have taken some pretty hard hits from guys much bigger than them only to bounce right back up ready to go. When you add in the power guys as @MikeGriffith duly noted ( Good article Mike !!) to batter the rival Defensive front it makes the Dawgs a different but still powerful running game !! Now if we can just get Ladd back and fully healthy, one would think this Dawgs O will be Very explosive !! One proviso though, the O line does pretty well on pass protect but they need to open bigger holes for the RBs. But I think as they continue to gel that will come. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am glad we have players like Dillon and Robinson and others that step up when needed. Very unselfish team that will help us get much deeper as the season rolls on! Go Dawgs

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stock Even: Our overall blocking.

It's tempting to say there was some improvement in blocking because there were flashes. The blocking for Mews as he ran to the house was stellar. We can be hopeful, but should we?

Stock Up: Our overall athleticism.

Everybody knows about the injuries. Everybody knows we are temporarily thin in spots. It's pretty obvious some things have yet to gel, come together, get on the same page. Still, our team is filled with athletes. Some of Carson's passes were a little off, and probably not as catchable as the average Stetson Bennett pass, but it didn't much matter. Our athletic receivers made up the difference. They demonstrated their body control, their situational awareness, and fabulous athleticism.

We're not quite there yet, but Kirby & Company have recruited for speed, length, athleticism, work ethic, and smarts.

Stock Up: Kirby Smart.

"What I'm trying to do is get elite at getting better."

Kirby attracts players who notice Georgia's practices are unlike the practices of other teams they visit. He is all about maximizing precious practice time such that everyone gets every possible opportunity to learn, grow, develop, and become a better team member. Nobody has mastered efficiency like Kirby. Nobody will outwork him, his staff, and his players.

Because of Kirby, this is a super athletic, incredibly hard working team.

Expect a better Georgia team on Saturday.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dillon Bell has some raw talent though he seems to drop too many passes, many easy catches.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mews could be something special. He reminds me of a muscular version of Isaiah McKenzie. Dillon Bell could be the next Robert Edwards with that vision and speed he displayed on the td run. Mike Bobo is use to working with very good running backs that score any time they touch the ball. I think Dillon has that ability. Why not try him at running back in every game. Looking forward to a exciting year. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cash's catch, did you get that? Was phenominal for a RB who is used to running the ball more than catching it! It was over his back shoulder, he had to lean backwards to get it and stay in bounds and control it through his fall. Mission accomplished!

• Options
  • Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bell was a 4-star out of Houston who played as much RB as he did WR. Please identify all these dropped passes (other than Ball St.). He was as reliable as anyone last year as a Freshman.

Get lost, troll

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

"Fair enough, here’s more honesty: Georgia does not resemble any sort of “RBU” these days and should consider keeping Dillon Bell in the backfield."______@MikeGriffith

Fair enough...put Bowers, Mews and McConkey back there, and run the Wishbone or Power-I...or, Triple Option. Truck everybody in the SEC for 2 years...then, go back to ground zero [2016]...cause NOBODY headed for the NFL, wants to play in that system.

They could beat anybody...anywhere...with whatever style they choose. With players they have...3 and 4 deep at every position.

We all knew, going into the season, that UGA was thin at running back. I haven't seen Kirby sweating that "narrative" a single time. There MUST BE a reason he is so calm and relaxed. I think it's because he "knows" something we don't.

Maybe, he's thinking the same thing, you're thinking...put, Mews and Bell in the backfield, as "change of pace" backs, capable of breaking a long one, at any time. And, both are familiar with the route trees and can catch it from any position on the field.

Or....Maybe, he's planning to use the "James Cook" packages with both of those guys.

Or....Maybe, Edwards has developed into the back, we all thought he could be. Better NEVER rests!

You may be on to something. We only have to wait a few days to see it. Maybe.

• Options

I thought though I could sure wrong he only dropped one pass albeit in the end zone. I’ll have to go back and watch but again if memory serves the defender did pretty good on that one. But my memory is pretty tired these days Lol !!

Now that we have Dillon, Mews, and Cash to help shore up the RB room, I’m sure hoping to Andrew Paul start coming on strong. Coaching staff was pretty high on him prior to his injury.

I sure hated the injury for Branson Roberson he was/is a dynamic runner that would have been a force on the RB squad.

I honestly Believe we’re gonna see our Dawgs get better and better each week. With all the injuries and the “new” it will take time for this team to gel into shape. But Kirby says their getting there and I Trust him !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Hey Brother !! Where you think Andrew Paul is with the coaches in terms of getting starting time ?? I realize knee surgery is a hard thing to come back from both physically and mentally. Looking at the limited time he’s had in garbage time he’s shown flashes of pretty good.

I remember reading that the coaches were pretty high on him prior to his injury. Made me sick that Branson got injured for the season, that young man runs with authority !!

Yeah your like me watching Kirby’s demeanor in interviews I don’t see even slight panic. If I saw panic in KS then I’d be panicking !! But I don’t. He knows where we are, where we need to be, and How to get us there. I trust him explicitly. Always good hearing from you !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Lol...drops happen. Sometimes...it's the easiest ones, that get dropped by the best receivers.

I remember, McIntosh...who "NEVER dropped a pass"...dropped one, right in his hands, at the 3 yd line...all by himself...in the 2021 Spring game.

Cook dropped a couple, too. But, when he did catch it...he could do a little sump'n sump'n wid it.

When I think of those 2 guys, out of the backfield...or, split wide...I think of mismatches all over the place.

The Dawgs are a better Football Team today....than they've EVER been. I'd stake my life, on that one.

• Options

@BigDawg61 Oh yeah about sometimes it being the easiest catch and they drop it. It’s like their trying to run Before they secure the ball. Heck the pros do it !! It’s like I got it !! I got it !! Oops no I don’t have it !! Drops are gonna happen. On that note Lovett look like his hands improved in the Ball St. game vs the previous week. And that’s all we can ask for is improvement. Man I love your positive attitude !!! It’s infectious in a Good way !! Go Dawgs !! GATA !!!

• Options
    edited September 2023

Lol...thanks for the kind words. But, man...I can't say it was always that way. 2012 & 2017 were great. But, there were flaws. Each year, for the last 3 years...Kirby has managed to improve something without falling off in ANY area.

This year and next, may be his "coup de gras" to the rest of CFB. He is leaving all of them, in the dust...with his innovation, mixed with "old school". It's a thing of beauty, that the Sports World seems to be oblivious to. I've been wondering, if their apparent obtuse approach...is intentional.

• Options

Oh yes Brother !! The majority of ESPN and its affiliates have an obvious bias ( I don’t really know why) against the Dawgs. One thing it Might be is that Kirby and his Dawgs have been extremely detrimental to Nick Saban and Bama’s success. The ESPN crowd anointed him King of CFB a long time ago and it frustrates them to no end when KS damages that image.

Last year. TN in the SECE were the ESPN Darlings for the East part of the conference. They were drooling over them, then along comes that pest Kirby and kicks the chair out from under them Lol !!

Quirky Herbie wants OSU to win Desperately !! Did you notice how red his face was in the closing moments of the playoff game when it was pretty obvious the game was over ?? He was Really peed off !!

If you notice Quirky Herbie is the lead singer for the ESPN crowd, he sings and all the other little birds sing in rhythm with him. Course he allows Dez his obsession with all things Michigan. But other than that obsession Dez usually sings the same tune as Quirky.

David Pollack always managed to keep his homer hat off, Except last year with Nick Saban sitting at the table and it cost him his job !! David was a media professional. He kept his homerism So in check that he actually peed Some Dawgs fans off, right here on DN !! I clearly remember Some fans getting mad with David because he wouldn’t tout the Dawgs, and would even pick against them sometimes !!

But David was and is and always will be ALL DAWG !! But unlike the other guys, Herbie, and Dez the ESPN folks wouldn’t allow David to be fully honest. They fired him for it.

And I’m clueless about this Pat McAfee dude. I’d never even heard of him. I thought maybe he founded the virus protection company !! So to close I will Not watch ESPN College GameDay unless it’s a game our Dawgs are in. When they fired Pollack I put them on my official boycott list !!

Just today I saw where Rece Davis has the Dawgs at number 3 in his AP picks. Number Three ??!!?? Who the heck does he think are numbers one and two ?? I don’t know but I bet it’s OSU and Michigan !! What are the ESPN folks gonna say when the Dawgs 3Peat ?? What excuses will they offer ?? It’d tickle the snot out of me if we played Bama in the SECG and Crushed them, then played either OSU or Michigan or

Both would be even better to go on to win the 3peat. One or the other in the playoffs then one of them in the Natty !! I wonder would ESPN finally be Compelled to give the Dawgs due respect ??

• Options
    edited September 2023

Yep...that's just the way things are, now. Traditional media is DOA...and, the Twitter-Sphere crowd has taken over.

Meaning...they value gossip, more than they do facts...follow "narratives", rather than, "Truth"...and, report only the pieces that fit.

It's "over" for Bama. At least, for this year. Too many things to fix and not enough time or players, to fix em.

I like Bally Sports, BTW. I think, they might wind up taking over all of it, before it's all said and done. Traditional cable, is being replaced with much more amenable "streaming" options...IMO. This latest battle, might be enough to push it over the edge.

I think ESPN may be behind the power curve on the streaming market. I could be wrong...but, Disney is trying to dismantle some of their "side-businesses", right now.

• Options

Oh man Yes !! Worse thing in the world for ESPN is that Disney is the parent company. Disney has forgotten ( maybe on purpose) that they are Supposed to be an entertainment business. Instead they view themselves as Crusaders for their social agendas. News flash for them, the majority of people don’t give a rats azz about their social agendas !! That’s the majority now, there’s a fringe minority that does embrace their social agenda, and that minority is gonna drive Disney into bankruptcy if their not careful. Their social agenda has bled heavily over into sports with ESPN and most people just don’t care to see it. The idiots fail to realize that Sports is an escape for most people from the daily pressures of life in the good ole USA. People use Sports to relax and unwind and have Something to cheer about when all The News has is doom and gloom. So when they rob the average person of that Relaxation Time with their idiotic social agenda crap it drives people away Not attracts them !!

• Options
    edited September 2023

I'm starting to think...maybe...UGA should consider dropping out of a Conference, and trying the old Notre Dame thang.

Could you imagine how much money ND and their players could rake in, in TV and NIL Contracts....if they had UGA's Team, Logo & Coaching Staff [Program]?. Now...put UGA in the "independent" category...with a carefully crafted, quality schedule, facing the "perceived" best team, in each Conference, every Season...like the IMG's of HS.. $$$

Lol...hell, they could start the UGA/ND Independent Network. Hire UGA & ND people to put together their own polls, Awards and Contracts. Talk about dynasty! With all this realigning goin' on....maybe they attract a few teams with solid Programs and pedigrees, like [[Bama, LSU, AUB, OSU, FSU, USC, Mich, Penn St.]] to join em in a coalition of Independent teams. If a few 5 Star teams broke away from their Conferences and scheduled each other during the season...the Networks would not be able to ignore em.

If it doesn't work out...they would have their "pick" of Conferences, to get back in "that" game.. Yeah....probably the SEC. Or, create a whole new Conference. Let the innovation begin. Lol

• Options