Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Unproven Georgia reclaims top spot in SEC Power rankings after Alabama stumbles

SystemSystem Posts: 10,540 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageUnproven Georgia reclaims top spot in SEC Power rankings after Alabama stumbles

ATHENS — Quinn Ewers played the game of his life at Alabama, and that’s exactly what it took for Texas to take down the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

10-15 penalties, 5 sacks, 2 interceptions, and letting Texas run out the last 1-3 minutes of the clock sound more like a collapse by Bama than a stumble. An Injured Elephant can still be dangerous though.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA's Defense, will be picking feathers out of their teeth...and, scraping mashed Gamecock off their shoes...the first 2 days of practice, next week. Lol

The Dawgs Defense and Special Teams, alone...will be enough to beat Carolina. Same, with their next 2 or 3...or 6 opponents. They have the best defensive "unit", they've ever had. They just need some playing time together. And, UGA's schedule couldn't be any more advantageous...to that endeavor.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited September 2023

The way I see this week's game playing out...

1.] Rattler...............7 points

2.] Home Field.......6 points

3.] UGA Def/ST....17 points (resp. for)

4.] UGA Off...........42 points

Final Score.............59-13

Besides, the best defense College Football has seen [maybe, ever]....Another little ditty....nobody looks at...is the fact [UGA ran fewer plays than UTM ran the week before..."55"].

Which means...Kirby and Mike were slow-walking the offense to eat up time...and, so was a decimated Ball St, that was just beat-up by another Physical SEC Team...Kentucky. They were just happy to get out of Athens alive.

Lol...and, Kirby's Dawgs..let em leave intact. That's what you take out of the 1st 2 games of the season. If the Dawgs are as good as I think they are, this year...we'll get more of the same, until they face a "real" challenge. Physical, dominant football...vice the "Air Shows" people of this generation are used to seeing.

That's called..."Complimentary Football". And, if you believe in the mantra..."Better NEVER Rests"...last year's numbers, successes & failures...have NOTHING to do with this year.

Every single player UGA's team, has improved something in their game...year over year, since signing with the Dawgs. Else....they aren't there, anymore...or, they're buried on the depth chart.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Unproven Georgia".

Am I on the right site?

Would any other team's fan site have a headline with unproven as an adjective???

Sorry...I almost forgot that DawgNation is owned by The AJC.

• Options

Lol...right! Wonder how they are covering their "Home Team"....the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. I haven't heard their name mentioned, since the season started. IMO...they are being overlooked and underestimated.

But, then again...there's always a few of those guys, that "surprise hell out of everybody". Reason being...the people covering them, don't know what they are looking at, to begin with or how to break it down. Hence...creation of "Stats" for everything and everybody. Those won't work for analyzing UGA Teams, by the way.

IMO...Most of the guys covering these teams...do it because they "have to". And...Most of those, never held a football, which gives them, very little real insight. Lol...they just go along with what everybody else is saying and study numbers.

From what I saw, over the last 2 weeks...GT is NOT gonna be a gimme game, at the end of the season. They are big physical, talented...and appear to be "much more disciplined and well coached", than any of their recent "teams". I'm not looking forward to that one. It could be a "trap game" for the Dawgs.

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unproven Georgia? Really? But your favorite teams are painted with roses and rainbows until they run into UGA on the field. And then you still find more excuses to attack. Your bias is beyond reason. Your passive attacks are beyond reason. And the AJC management wonders why this page, a UGA page, loses popularity daily. It is almost entirely because of your garbage attacks...subtle criticism...always. After 50 years of reading the AJC sports pages, you make me want to never return. Just read the UGA football boards....no one, NO one likes what you are doing here. And most have left and cancelled their subscriptions. You redefine bad journalism and ignorant pettiness.

• Options
    edited September 2023

You can tell they have a lot of transients writing for them at the AJC.

Anybody that was raised on Georgia Football...knows what they are seeing in Athens. It's the real deal. An NFL Team in the College ranks. Nobody in the Nation can touch em.

How do you NOT shove that down Corporate Media's throat, and, force em to acknowledge?...unless, you are "part of" the Corporate Media scam.

Now, granted I'm a "fan" with all the bias and optimism, that go with it. But, it's always been a realistic optimism. I've NEVER seen a team like this, wearing a UGA Uniform.

Over the years, there have been some teams that were as good in a given year...[Miami, Bama, Nebraska, Florida, OSU, USC, etc.]...but, not a program, for multiple years, performing at an elite level, with no end in sight with steady "year-over-year" improvement and growth...with no sign of decline.

With all of the others...you sensed when the "dropoff" was coming. Usually, within a couple of years. With UGA...they are assuming a "dropoff", based solely on "history"...not, by analyzing the product, right in front of them. It's arrogance and willful ignorance. IMO

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are just getting started. Excited to see what this team can become.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Not demonstrated by evidence to be true". This team is unproven. Slow starting beat downs of 2 cupcakes does not prove much. That's MG's point. Can this team come to play early vs a quality opponent? We don't know what Beck will do in a close game against a comparable team or before a big hostile crowd. He hasn't done it yet. An underperforming OL vs a stout SEC DL? Haven't seen it yet. How does the O overcome a depleted RB position? IDK. The team is young and unproven at CB and OLB, critical positions to success. The DL is also unproven as passrushers (sans #13).

Not saying UGA is a lock to lose to anyone. CKS has recruited well and there is lots of talent. But faith is not proof.

Injuries are concerning. 2 games in and there are 14 players on the injury list. @BigDawg888 talked about players developing throughout the year. Some (many?) will. But guys may be more likely to get injured at practice throughout the season than to develop significantly. Guys get hurt playing football. It's a fact.

#1 on D played well in the last game (finally showing something). I know CKS does not demote upperclassmen during the season but I expect #1, #6 and #12 to be the best coverage CB's by the playoffs. Those guys (and the OLB's) must develop to put UGA over the top.

Will be interesting to see how this team evolves as they prove what they are.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Unproven?!...let's take a stroll down "memory lane", shall we?.

Last year, they were "unproven...after losing 15 players to the draft, 13 to the portal, a DC, DB Coach, WR Coach, O-Line Coach. That's 28 players and 4 key coaches, they turned over...just several short months before taking TCU to task...67-7, in capping off an undefeated season and National Championship.

Note...I didn't even mention the players and staff members that were unable to start the '22 season, for whatever reason. Scott Cochran, Arik Gilbert and Darnell Washington come to mind.

Last year...they were considered "unproven". And, rightfully so. Nobody's ever done, what Kirby & Co. did last year. The "doubt" was understandable.

But, this year...that's not the case. UGA and Kirby Smart have "proven" their ability to reload and maintain an "elite standard". The players that aren't returning, had replacements training and playing side-by-side with em, in 2022....as was the case, in 2021. Did anybody see a drop-off last year? Nope.

The only player lost from last year's team, that can not be "replaced", is Jalen Carter. They have either upgraded or equalled the talent level at all other positions. Since you can't replace Davis or Carter's impact on the game, with one player...you scheme to compensate.

Which Kirby, Muschamp and Schumann "proved" they can do...last year, when Carter was unavailable...and, the year before, when they were so short handed, in the defensive backfield, they didn't have the personnel to run a "Dime Defense".

When people talk about "returning starters",...as it pertains to the Dawgs...they neglect to look at the so-called backups from the previous year. "Starter" is an outdated term, that doesn't apply to the Dawgs. IMO

They have multiple "starters" at multiple positions...depending on the package they start the game with. The media hasn't caught up to the game. Kirby is giving them a "Clinic" on roster management, that they are slow to pick up on. They'll get there eventually. Maybe, after the Dawgs put on their 3rd Ring.

In over 50 years of football...I've never seen a "Hometown or Home State Paper" use those type of adjectives and descriptors in a Headline on their own team. They usually have to defend against National headlines. Lol

Think what you want...it's your money. But, the only thing "Unproven" about the Dawgs...is that "somebody can beat them". They have a hundred and one ways to beat you.

Now,.....[Bama, OSU, Michigan, FSU, LSU, USC, Colorado (?)]......they ARE "unproven". I challenge you to find a major Corporate Media source that "says so". For every one you find...I'll show you 2 disparaging headlines on the B2B Champion...Georgia Bulldogs.

It's bad enough we have to put up with that crap from the "Corporate-Owned" National Media...we shouldn't have to put up with it from the Dawg Nation website.

If they are unproven, in your mind...PROVE IT! Don't just say it.

Go Dawgs.

• Options
    edited September 2023

@BigDawg61

"Last year...they were considered "unproven". And, rightfully so. Nobody's ever done, what Kirby & Co. did last year. The "doubt" was understandable." And rightfully so. Your words. Same situation this year. No one has 3peated in 87 years.

"But, this year...that's not the case. UGA and Kirby Smart have "proven" their ability to reload and maintain an "elite standard". The players that aren't returning, had replacements training and playing side-by-side with em, in 2022....as was the case, in 2021. Did anybody see a drop-off last year? Nope." Having players "training" and having the same results and production are not a given. CKS has proven the staff's ability to develop replacements. This years team has not proven anything yet. ("this team has not accomplished anything", CKS)

This year's team's ability to succeed has nothing to do with last year's team. Every year is different. Winning takes skill, health and a lot of luck. (see OSU game, '21 SECCG (Metchie hurt) and CFBCG (JWill hurt))

By definition, "Not demonstrated by evidence to be true". Unproven. One of the most interesting things about CFB is the turnover of players every season and the uncertainty that accompanies it. It is inherent in CFB that all teams are unproven. Including UGA. That's why they play the games! Duh. Are the odds better for UGA because of CKS and recruiting? Yes. But still unproven at this point.

If you are surprised to see media presenting information to 1) push a narrative, 2) draw attention/clicks 3) encourage discussion, 4) trying to influence readers ....then you haven't been watching what has been put out by the media over the last 5(?) years.

As far as MG goes, he is probably more objective than most of what you see being put out through the media these days.

UGA FINALLY earned the benefit of the doubt after years of failure and subsequent bashing by sports reporting. Only 2 years ago it was "CKS needs to win now. It is now or never". Before that it was "UGA can''t win the big one", "UGA does less with more", and my personal favorite from from Brent Venables " why would you ever go to UGA? They never win." (nothing sweeter than shutting up negative recruiting buffoons like Venables)

I think you expect too much from the media. They often push an agenda but they aren't all homers.

• Options
    edited September 2023

"Same situation this year. No one has 3peated in 87 years."____@UGADad20

That's the part I wholly disagree with. It's NOT the same situation this year.

Understand....Kirby went into last year...with middling expectations...after losing 28 players, a Defensive Coordinator, a DB Coach, Offensive Line Coach and WR Coach...not to mention, Scott Cochran, Washington, Gilbert and a few others.

Yet...they were a better team. Nobody has asked and answered, adequately IMO....WHY and HOW, was Smart able to pull that off. I know "why & how"...and, I thought you did.

And, as far as that so-called 3-peat of 87 yrs ago...Lol...you ought to read about how those "Championships" were decided. I don't consider them Championships, at all. Especially, when an Illinois University Professor is the guy that developed the "Formula" that ranked those '30's teams. Ridiculous...IMHO.

If you think last year's team...isn't an indicator of this year's team...you ain't been payin' attention.

We didn't know it last year...cause, what Smart did, between '21 and '22 had never been done before. ESPECIALLY...when Kirby didn't use the TP in the positive direct, but, "lost" 13 players. Nothing but, doom and gloom from those, not "in-the-know".

This year, we have no excuse...everybody on Dawg Nation should know what we have, in Athens. That's just my opinion...but, I'm surprised it's not a shared opinion.

We've got a lot of "great football" ahead at UGA. Kirby is putting on a Coaching and Roster Management Clinic, that may be studied for decades. Attempts will be made to duplicate it...but, right now?....nobody is close.

• Options
    edited September 2023

@BigDawg61

IDK about you but I didn't go into '22 "with middling expectations". Anyone could see the talent. Returning starting QB, JCarter, BB's, etc etc. BUT IT WAS STILL TO BE PROVEN. Who are the proven guys to replace Ringo, Carter, SBIV, McIntosh, BJones, McClendon, DWash, etc etc.? They have replacements. Many are UNPROVEN.

Yes they lost 28 players but let's not pretend all those guys were proven guys that were going to have big expectations for '22. AL lived off of churning the deadwood off the bottom of the roster and replacing it with younger, higher rated , higher ceiling players. CKS is just doing the same thing. Some players will be missed, most won't. They have already been recruited over with new (UNPROVEN) guys.

CKS proved it last year. For last year. Until it is done for this year it is UNPROVEN. You can't prove the future until it, you know, happens!

"And, as far as that so-called 3-peat of 87 yrs ago...Lol...you ought to read about how those "Championships" were decided. I don't consider them Championships, at all". History considers them championships. So you don't consider them championships? So what UGA/CKS is attempting to do this year has never been done? You're saying the ability to 3peat is UNPROVEN?

UGA has proven that it is a top program with a top coach and top talent. UGA has not proven that it is a '23 champion. That is unproven. Where UGA finishes this season (1,2,3,?) will be proven on the field.

You must be making a killing in Vegas with your ability to predict the future.

• Options
    edited September 2023

"UGA has not proven that it is a '23 champion. That is unproven. Where UGA finishes this season (1,2,3,?) will be"_____Ugadad20

Thats not what i said...and it's not what we were talking about. At least, not what I was talking about. Of course, they have to prove they are Champions. You'll say and do anything to "win a debate", won't you? Lol....can't argue with that.

Lol...funny...I don't remember that philosophy when National Media was analyzing Bama, OSU and Michigan's chances last year and this year.

Both years, ESPN and others had Bama all but, crowned Champion before the season started. Both years, Bama was a disappointment against Texas. Both years, National Media is, and has been desperately trying to find a way to keep them in the "Natty conversation".

But...it's UGA that has to prove themselves?. My ass!

UGA...unlike the rest of the league...doesn't rely on any "one player" or "group of players". They rely on the system to provide. If everybody approaches training, as instructed..."better never rests"...and, everybody is on a play count, you ensure that a certain standard and experience level is maintained at EVERY position.

Kirby turned UGA into a collegiate Professional Football training facility. You can get an NFL Degree there, that can be used in many venues...including a football field, office or broadcast booth. The curriculum and NFL perception rivals an MIT Engineering or Harvard Business degree. Oh yeah...and, they also field a football team.

IMO...That's how "unique" Kirby's "system" is....and, why they've "proven" to me they are "Perennial Contenders"...until, further notice.

The Dawgs could field 2...if not...3 complete offensive and defensive units...all, capable of playing winning football.

If Matt Stinchcolm says, "UGA has outscored it's last 2 opponents, 93-10...and, we haven't seen their first team Offense, yet.". What do you think that means?

Have you ever seen a Dawgs Team, roll over ANY opponent, as effortlessly as they have over the last 2 weeks...with so many so-called "starters" sittin' on the bench? Ever? Any 2 teams. Hint...it didn't look that easy against Kent State and Stamford, last year. Lol

• Options

@UGADad20

FYI...The Braves just clinched the Division. 😁👍

• Options

@UGADad20

"Unproven" as it applies to this article's headline...says to me there is some doubt as to the quality of team Kirby is gonna field....after 2 blowouts, with only 10 total points scored against the Dawgs. Lingering doubt? Really? Lol

Actually, you could "Headline" every story, about any team...as "Unproven Blah blah blah" is taking the field against so-and-so. Why do it?

If you're referring to the Natty....it goes without saying. But, that's not how it was taken.

I've never heard..."Unproven Bama will take the field against Unproven Texas, Saturday"...or, any other such nonsense...especially, when you are referencing a B2B Champ, going for 3...with the team and schedule UGA obviously, has. That, just don't make sense, to me.

Anyway....the only thing I think, is "unproven"...is that UGA can be beat, in this regular season. I don't see it.

If I could find a way to bet in Vegas...I would've won a fortune, since I retired. Lol...I just don't trust the online thing. I was actually, thinking about making a business trip, to Biloxi...to make a few bets, this year.

The only one I would've lost, last year...and, I tried to find a way to lay money down after the odds were revealed...was, I thought Bennett had a shot at the Heisman. I was gonna put a thousand on Bennett. Glad I didn't. Lol...it would've drove me crazy, watching how it all went down.