Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 burning questions to answer Georgia football championship hopes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
image3 burning questions to answer Georgia football championship hopes

ATHENS — Georgia football has only looked unbeatable on paper this season as it has worked through slow starts en route to a 3-0 record.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe teams we have played so far have made a concerted effort to get the ball out quick to avaoid their QB getting sacked. THat's probably not going to change. Gone are the play actions passes and the 7 yards drops. THat's not how the game is played these days. NOt against better opponents any ways.

When SC had to throw it longer than 12 yards, the QB had to wait longer and we applied good pressure those times. Genenrally speaking if a QB can hold the ball and survey the field 3 seconds or longer they can throw it down field and have greater success. I haven't seen that happen much this year.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very fair and accurate overview. I agree with the DL as a key question but more on the realm of being better but at the same time, they are pretty good. My point, is the OL is the one that seems to be the bigger question to me. This was the group, especially on paper, that was to be the key difference maker and would be the most dominant part of the team. That has been the opposite almost - they appear to be the most questionable at this stage. It is hard to figure out what it is, but it seems to be the element of working together as opposed to individual talent. Interesting was the line seemed to do much better once Mims was out. Hard to explain that given his talent and skill set, but that is what happened on Saturday. Hoping the cohesion continues to improve and the O line plays up to their potential because that will have a very positive impact on on the consistency of the offense.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These problems are likely to work themselves out. But maybe it's good that we had to cancel the Oklahoma game!

Our luck with RB injuries won't stay bad forever. The OL will come together, even without Mims. The receivers are our best group in years. But Carson just needs to get comfortable at taking long shots.

As for DL: Mykel was a monster in the second half. Jordan Hall is looking ahead of schedule (because: Bear). And we may have the the entire country's best DB and LB units to back our solid-if-not-spectacular line.

Even the injuries may turnout no big deal: Right now, everyone but Branson could theoretically be back in shape by the Tennessee game. If we suffer no further season-ending injuries, we'll be better off than last year -- when we lost our All-American defensive leader lfor the season).

Of course, even if these things work out, we're going to face stiff and fresh competition for the Natty this year.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby Smart makes a lot of good points about the offense. But a blind man can see that if you don't call the right plays at critical times, the offense sputters. There may not be a Todd Monken offense and a Mike Bobo offense, but calling the right play is crucial. I don't think Bobo has been doing that. That is where he lags behind Monken. Imagination and creativity are required, and Bobo does not seem to have them.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Give it a rest. Every post you make seems to say the same thing. We get it not a Bobo fan. Come up with some new material.

BTW Bobo is executing CKS's game plan. In game 3 w/a new QB, new wr's, a shuffled OL and a patchwork RB room. But it is Bobo's fault. Gotcha.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I guess the DL, but in my heart I know it's the OLine. They haven't played well. Backs aren't getting great holes. QB is rushed at times. I know there's no Jordan Davis on the D Line, but Hall may grow into it. But at this juncture, our O Line is underperforming and I'm not sure why.

By the way, I agree with Tom_ B and not UGADAD20. Keep saying it. Bobo is predictable in an offense that people have seen for three years. Bobo needs to get more analysts involved in his planning - find the next creative guy. Bobo is a general and all generals are only as good as their colonels. Whoever he's listening to now isn't very good - or said another way, is very predictable.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This team doesn't have the fire that we had last year. Last week our running game came alive in the second half thanks to Daijun Edwards. Both lines are OK but not great. Carson Beck looks good and the receivers look good. McConkey is injured and Brock Bowers is not up to par. Last year we owned both lines of scrimmage and we need to get that back. Line backers aren't quite there yet but improving, and our defensive backfield is the best in the nation. Finally, our special teams need consistency and accuracy and lot's of time with sports psychologists telling kickers how great they are.

Let's get it together Dawgs!!!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bowers is not up to par? Bowers is as good as he's ever been. Bobo's not scheming for him.

Bobo is predictable. Always has been. They don't call him "Air Raid" for good reason. Just look at how we came out against SC last year. Monken aired it out from the first snap. This year? Two hand-offs to Edwards. If that ain't typical Bobo, I don't know what is. The ole Dooley establish the running game crap.

On another note, somebody gave the secondary an A- for their efforts. Really? They got their butts kicked in the first half. They deserve an A-/2.

The kicker needs a Kevin Butler clinic. He helped Rodrigo, maybe he's available to help this kid. He needs it.

We're now referred to as "efficient", not "exciting". Bobo ball has never been exciting. Get used to it. Get real.

• Options

I’m sure it is me, but where does the name “air raid” come from? I’ve never heard Bobo referred to as that and it doesn’t seem to make sense given the comments. Is this a common nickname for Bobo?

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Three games, three wins, 39ppg, allow 8ppg, starters 2-3 deep and a roster packed with potential, QB 846 pass yds to 15 different R's, 1int, 11 different rushers for 447 yds .....

As Kirby has preached......this ain't the 21 or 22 team, this is the 2023 team and I'm reserving any comparison until Jan 9, 2024....until then we will continue to improve because Better Never Rest!

• Options
    edited September 2023

Monken's long time nickname from his love of the passing game. You will never see it applied to Bobo.

• Options

That makes much more sense. I’ve got faith he will be solid and once the DAWGs get through some of the injuries and the O line get is together. Thanks for the clarification

• Options

I heard an opinion from the CBS Inside College Football panel this week that made sense.

They said that at some point the Dawgs have to stop spreading the passing targets around to appease all the 5 star players and start getting it to Bowers, our best playmaker, more often.