Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN calls out ‘biggest weakness’ for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,558 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageESPN calls out ‘biggest weakness’ for Georgia football

Georgia is still unbeaten through the first five games of the regular season. But this team hasn’t been without flaws, as Saturday’s game against Auburn showed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I think of explosive offense, Mike Bobo does not come to mind. Monken's play calling gave us our explosiveness. We've lost it, now. Maybe Bobo can Zoom with in the booth with Air Raid?

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Beck doesn't put enough arch on his deep passes. He has such a strong arm, he's gunning everything into receivers, but he needs to let it float a little - it appears he has no touch. That Delp pass was almost straight on him. Stetson went to a passing camp, and they told him that he needed to put more air under the ball. Remember the throw in the national championship on the offsides play, AD Mitch caught in the endzone. Lots of height on that ball. Give the WR a jump ball situation. Because, if you throw it super hard, you'll over throw the WR ever time. Beck isn't hitting these long throws. Too much arm, not enough touch.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck is awesome. All you fools who don't realize what you see are the same ones who hated on every qb we've ever had It is old, it gets tiring. Please trust this staff.

Complacency is our biggest problem.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Slow starts=Bobo

Calling 3 strsight running plays at midfield on the first drive against Auburn was infuriating. I think Monkon's best skill was playing toward his players skillset. Last year we had a QB with with below average arm strength so Monkon worked the short passing game. But now we have an offensive coordinator who seems dead set on running up the middle with an injured RB room and an O-line that isn't getting any push. Use the strengths of the available players and stop waiting till the 3td quarter to open up the offense for Beck

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Horrific analysis. Awful. You must be bored to type this drivel.

Beck is great. You just can't see it. Just like about 99 percent of the fan base with Stetson. Some people love to hate.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson Beck is doing a fine job for his short time being QB1. I do think that what we had with SB when he and Monken got in sync was he knew immediately where to go with the ball and he could let it fly without any hesitation. CB isn't there yet , nor should I guess we expect him to be at this early stage. Hopefully he will get there. But there is no reason to be down on him. He does need to put more air under the ball on thoe long throws and give the receiver a chance to adjust. If you throw it hard on a line then everything has to be perfect. It hasn't.

Bobo's play calling has been as I remember years ago., periods of really good mixed with head scratchers. He's killed more drives in the first half than his players have. He(IMO) gets things rolling with the pass and it looks almost too easy we're marchinng down the field picking up first downs via the pass and then it's like,"Oh wait a minute I just called 5 pass plays in a row, what was I thinking, we have to be balanced, let me call two straight run plays up the gut. " Now it's 3rd and long or field goal time. It makes me want to pull my hair out. It had been growing back in the past two years!

No matter how well we are marching down the field in the 1st 2 quarters, I try not to get excited because I know at some point Bobo is going to pull the plug on the air raid and try to trick them and mix in runs. He's really slow to adjust and hence the lack of 1st half production.

You can't give Bobo credit in the 2nd half and blame it on the players in the 1st half. At least be consistent.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

I thought the exact same thing when 15 missed Meeks earlier in the year. Beck is good. He just needs more game experience. He also needs to put a little (not a lot) more air under his deep throws. That gives wr's a view of the ball and time to adjust their route. Beck was better on the long ball that 11 misplayed. He is still developing his deep ball touch. Hard to do when you are taking practice and game reps w/8 different WR's. BTW whatever happened to Morrissette? Haven't seen him in games.

The lack of explosives is on CKS. The fact that we can count the long ball passes and misses on 1 hand tells you CKS has not tried many long passes in the 1st 5 games. He is directing the game plan. Beck is his game manager until his in game decision making proves reliable and safe.

UGA O is doing okay considering a new QB, CKS reining 15 in and the injuries to RB and WR.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2023

I'll stick with my assessment. He seems to find the talent you say we're missing and the plays to exploit it when we have our backs to the wall. Take that last drive to win on Saturday at Auburn and the second half at USC. He needs to open up from the get go. He's got the talent, use it.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good discussion. But can we all agree to identify our players by their names instead of just throwing around jersey numbers. Good grief. This ain't NASCAR. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing I’ve wondered even as KS states it often and that concerns a running QB. He states having a running QB is like have an extra man on offense. I love Beck and think he is doing a very fine job but wonder given our problems with the run game - namely a less-than-stellar O line and a very banged up RB room - why there wouldn’t be more scheming to have Brock play some. He adds that very real running threat and would make it more difficult to defend.

Definitely not being critical of Beck, but if having a mobile QB is like having an extra man, it seems with our current running situation, we would be in need of an extra man. Go DAWGS

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just my humble opinions but from what I see it’s the running QBs that give the Dawgs Defense a hard time. Especially the Defensive front. NOT traditional RBs.

From the games I’ve seen best I can tell Dawgs have been at least Reasonably effective stopping the rival RBs.

Why the running QBs ?Because they are a Threat to throw and sometimes do. For some reason this seems to confuse the Dawgs Defense. I Know it Shouldn’t but for whatever reasons it does.

But Kentucky will be Primarily be running big Davis right at our Dawgs. Not to say they won’t throw the ball Some. And Not to say that their QB won’t tuck the ball and run Some. And other RBs they have will spell Davis.

But Davis is their Offensive bread & butter. Just like to our Dawgs Brock Bowers is their Offensive bread & butter. SO these things said there Should be very little if Any confusion for the Dawgs Defense. Davis is gonna try to pound them to pieces.

But let me ask this if you were a rival Defense which would you prefer to Try to stop Davis or Bowers ?? With all respect to Davis as he is a sure nuff Hoss. Id prefer to defend against him Much More than defend against Brock Bowers !!

This will be a tough game but the Dawgs Will win it and primarily because of having Brock Bowers as a DAWG !! OK tip your hats to Kirby and the rest of the recruiting staff !! Thank You !! I saw Y’all tipping Em !! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options

Allot of heat here on Bobo !! But question did he more than apt call the plays in the fourth Qtr. that led to the W or go to the restroom ?? I’ll answer my own question No he called the plays that Won the game.

I could ramble on and on about injuries, first road trip for a new QB etc. etc. But all that wouldn’t even make a small dent in those who hate Bobo. They Only see the bad. YET he’s the guy that called the Winning plays in the fourth. Actually he called the plays that got the Dawgs back in the game Much earlier than that, else there wouldn’t be any salvaging it in the fourth. Oh well to each his own.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's think about some logic here. RB's get injured and beat up at a faster rate than any other position. Just look at the UGA RB room. And BB's is the most valuable/best player on UGA. So you want to throw him in at RB primarily to beat the spread and score style points? UGA doesn't need BB's at RB to win games. What happens when BB's gets beat up and injured playing RB and is out late in the year?

Same with running Beck. Running is not his forte. Are you ready to take a chance on him getting hurt running when it is not necessary now to win? Beck will get some chances when the pocket protection breaks down. No sense pushing for more.

• Options

Agree. We’re already using a valuable WR ( Bell) as primarily a RB. And this is just my humble opinion I think Bell could be a deep threat at WR, he’s Already very adept at short to intermediate passes. So No I wouldn’t use Bowers as a RB. Let him run it every once in a while ? Yeah I’m OK with that on a very limited basis.

Also agree on Beck. Unless he see’s a pretty wide open hole and runs. But I wouldn’t use Designed runs much at all, if any. He’s got pretty decent mobility to move around back there and let plays develop, I’d just stick to that. You don’t want your star players injured.