Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Report: Offer Made To Thad Matta! Will He Accept?

nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Cross fingers

Comments

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would be a good choice. Don't think he would have interviewed if he wasn't interested so guess we will see what happens.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SIlverCreekDawg said:
    Will be announced Thursday or Friday. And Jonas will be retained on staff.

Have you heard that he plans to accept?

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

More on Matta:
    1. Never had a losing season.
    2. His "worst" season at OSU was his last there, when he went 17-15.
    3. Before that, he NEVER won fewer than 20 games and several times won more than 30.
    4. Took OSU to the Dance 9 out of 13 years (and every year at Butler and Xavier).
    5. Matta only lost in first round of NCAAs twice out of 13 appearances.
    6. Only 1 year older than Fox (don't know why folks keep talking about his "age")

Also, Matta left OSU in a mutual decision because of back injury (not fired as some have reported).

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

@nycdawg said:

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

My source (whose son is a major 4* 2020 BB recruit here in GA) says yes.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

@nycdawg said:

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

Just curious, how would he/she know if the kid is only Junior in HS? I hope you're right...Has the source been reliable in the past?

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Matta = Great choice. Hope he accepts.

Versus Crean, Matta is younger, has had more (and more sustained) success, has a better disposition, isn't fazed by coaching BB at a FB school, and ... doesn't have Harbaugh as a brother-in-law! Also, reports indicate Matta has fully rehabbed his back injury.

This hire would show that UGA means business in college hoops. To those who say "can he recruit ATL/the South?": a good coach can sell a winning program anywhere. Matta has recruited Atlanta and the Southeast well before (Shannon Scott from Alpharetta, Daniel Giddens from Mableton, LaQuinton Ross from Jackson, MS, + guys from FL & NC). He came to Ohio State after having previously coached elsewhere and shut down that state's recruiting. No reason he can't do same at UGA. Also, his brother is a private school coach (and a former college coach) in ATL with AAU connections.

Let's ink Matta to a deal, and then job one is to get Ashton Hagans to recommit.

Also, I hope he retains Jonas. #DGD

It's nice to see someone on here who can back up and support what they are saying with facts.

Good hustle.

I do remember him having some issues with some guys at O$U who ended up transferring towards the end of his tenure. Among them Daniel Giddens (Alabama), Austin Grandstaff (Oklahoma), Mickey Mitchell (UC Santa Barbara) and A.J Harris (New Mexico State). Not sure if there is anything behind that or if it is just immature kids who are not ready for the big time lights; however, that is a lot of transfers at one time.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BiffLowman said:

@BullyDawg said:
    Matta = Great choice. Hope he accepts.

It's nice to see someone on here who can back up and support what they are saying with facts.

Good hustle.

I do remember him having some issues with some guys at O$U who ended up transferring towards the end of his tenure. Among them Daniel Giddens (Alabama), Austin Grandstaff (Oklahoma), Mickey Mitchell (UC Santa Barbara) and A.J Harris (New Mexico State). Not sure if there is anything behind that or if it is just immature kids who are not ready for the big time lights; however, that is a lot of transfers at one time.

Thanks, @BiffLowman.

One final pro-Matta observation: For those of us that appreciated UGA's clean reputation during Fox's years, Dawg fans will be happy to know that Matta is likewise considered one of the "good guys" in college basketball. Thus, if he accepts, Matta would be a coach who is a proven winner PLUS doesn't feel the need to cheat.

Here is a quote from an article on OSU when all of the college BB scandals were starting to hit:

As scandal rages, Ohio State likely has nothing to fear, thanks to Thad Matta
    -- Ryan Ginn @rmginn | 9/26/17
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — Thad Matta didn’t win enough games in recent years to keep his job, but the way he went about his business is something Ohio State likely will appreciate more than ever.
    Going forward, Ohio State appears to also be in good hands on the integrity front with Chris Holtmann, who was recently voted one of the sport’s cleanest coaches. But it’s Matta who was in charge of the program during the time period of the FBI investigation. Rogue assistants have come up before, which makes it impossible for anyone to be completely certain a program is clean. But Matta’s reputation for insisting everyone do things the right way is the reason so many believe Ohio State will have nothing to worry about.
    Matta’s recruiting success declined in his final years at Ohio State, but his reputation never did. His legacy was that of one of college basketball’s cleanest coaches, someone who always operated above board in a sport where that’s increasingly rare. Anytime a 5-star commitment raised red flags or eyebrows, if Ohio State and Matta were involved, they were on the losing end of that recruiting battle.
    In the press conference announcing his firing, that integrity is something Matta made a pointed reference to when asked how he’d want to be remembered.
    “I think the last thing that I hope I’m always remembered for is that we always did it the right way,” he said. “That to me is something that I want to hold or hang my hat on. That this program was run the right way.”

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2018

has anyone checked with phil to see if any of this is ok??
    not meant to hijack thread...sorry...i just feel the UT dumpster fire still has legs.

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

@nycdawg said:

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

@nycdawg said:

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

Just curious, how would he/she know if the kid is only Junior in HS? I hope you're right...Has the source been reliable in the past?

Extremely. Through the recruiting process, he got to know several of the FB coaches well, predicted several of our FB recruits in the 2018 class well before they announced and his son plays AAU with guys like Hagans and King.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    More on Matta:
    1. Never had a losing season.
    2. His "worst" season at OSU was his last there, when he went 17-15.
    3. Before that, he NEVER won fewer than 20 games and several times won more than 30.
    4. Took OSU to the Dance 9 out of 13 years (and every year at Butler and Xavier).
    5. Matta only lost in first round of NCAAs twice out of 13 appearances.
    6. Only 1 year older than Fox (don't know why folks keep talking about his "age")

Also, Matta left OSU in a mutual decision because of back injury (not fired as some have reported).

Mutually agree = equals thanks for everything you have done, but lets mutually agree to save face. We will direct focus on the your back issue.