Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Stoops fires NIL-related shots at Georgia: ‘They bought some pretty good players’

Comments

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stoops has always been a Chronic Complainer, now you can add Panhandler to his resume.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Mark, in football you can't buy CULTURE that creates TEAM......it only comes when you recruit players with the right mind set, physical make up, initial skill set and then you develop each player to commit all for the TEAM goal....WIN. Each week these players require daily guidance to get better. On game day each player requires coaching direction to execute each play.......good luck buying players, first you might want to ask Jimbo how that's worked out for the Aggies!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stoops it felt good this time last week when you were 5-0 and #20 and talking about pulling and upset. Suddenly getting that @$$ smacked it doesn't feel so good. All I can say is welcome to finally playing some big boy football.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stoops said, that how UGA did it(built a great team by using the NIL). LOL- if only they recruited as well as CKS and his staff. I seem to remember a phrase, "If you build it , they will come. " Well Kirby has built it!

Stoops has done a good job making KY a team not to be taken for granted. Good on him for that. But to say UGA has gotten to where we are is by the NIL is a bad look for him.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stoops has to make excuses to KY folks for a bad game strategy. The only way is to campaign and lie that Kirby uses NIL to buy players...demanding his fans pony up the same way as this grifter Kirby Smart....lolololol. Complain, complain. I am so glad UGA has Coach Smart at the helm!!!! Stoops will never beat him. Sick of the complaining.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stoops needs to realize that the secret sauce for UGA is NOT money but taking the players you recruit and as he stated, make them "elite at getter better" (EAGB).

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A. Disappointed in Mark Stoops. And to think that I was rooting for him to get a big time job. Yes, Steve Spurrier used to do the same but with him it was 1. funny and 2. everything that Spurrier said was actually true.

B. Folks, top 100 recruits want to be 1st and 2nd round draft picks, and whether you want to admit it or not, UGA WRs under Kirby Smart haven't put up the numbers to do that. Guys, it has been 8 years. And UGA is on their 4th coordinator - Chaney, Coley, Monken, Bobo - and third offensive philosophy and nothing ever changes. WRs and WR recruits complaining over this is not a new problem. The mother of Terry Godwin, a 5 star recruit who committed under Mark Richt, complained about the system ruining her son's draft status years ago. The fans shredded her ... but Godwin wound up being a 7th round pick and is now in the CFL. Before you say "maybe he wasn't good enough anyway" well plenty of 1st and 2nd round picks aren't good enough either. The difference is whether you get a $20 million contract as a 1st rounder or an $800,000 contract as a 7th rounder before teams find out that you aren't good enough. Chase Claypool can't play a lick - he is on his 3rd team in 3 years - but he bagged himself $6.6 million from those 3 teams before they found out.

Even though the numbers for some guys are going to pick up thanks to Carson Beck improving with experience and more guys getting healthy, none of the WRs are on track to have 700 yards or 5 TDs for a presumed 13 game season. Unless you have George Pickens' rare ability or MeCole Hardman's speed, the numbers that UGA WRs put up make them 4th round picks at best. And now the tailbacks aren't putting up the numbers that they did either, so that is going to affect recruiting at that position also. In fact it already has.

Yes, some guys prefer $25 million from the NFL over a championship ring and $2.5 million from the NFL. So sue them: they'll have the extra $22 million to spare. Even the guys who are serious about championships will go to programs that can make a credible pitch about having a shot at both. And no, this isn't about having conservative Chaney run the offense as Chaney is long gone or having a generational talent like Bowers at TE as Bowers has only been here 3 years. There's just no evidence that Smart cares about getting WRs the ball as much as he cares about - for example - trenches play, pass rush and forcing turnovers. When UGA is deficient in those areas he makes changes, whether it is to the coaching staff, scheme or recruiting. But 8 years without a single WR who comes close to being statistically dominant, and years of recruits publicly stating that they don't want to come to Athens - and of guys who did come to UGA transferring out - as a result? Kirby shrugs. Sorry, but no idea why you don't expect recruits to do the same.

Might be time to start tweaking the recruiting strategy. Instead of chasing the top 100 guys, hit the trail to try to find tall, quick guys with good hands who move well in space. Or guys who play other positions - QB, RB, TE - that are willing to consider switching. But thinking that you are going to get a line of blue chip WRs to come to UGA to spend 4 years mostly blocking ... that isn't going to happen.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just when I was starting to like Stoops a little bit, he goes and says something stoopid like this.

Would the order to gouge at Brock Bowers' eyes have come from him?

He needs to get control of his players before complaining about NIL. A well coached team doesn't need to make excuses.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bogarttad

What's wrong with wanting elite talent at ALL positions?

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like Coach Stoops most of the time. He’s an old school type of coach. His teams are tough and physical. As far as KY having players as talented as the Dawgs, it just not likely to happen. You have a choice of playing for a school turning out 10 to 15 drafted players and several free agents every year or KY. Forget NIL, which may be somewhat relevant but ain’t the main reason talented players choose UGA over a KY. Coach Stoops may be on to something though, to wit: KY will have to “buy” players to remain competitive.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree, all points. What I find ironic is the Florida has a ton of NIL, but Stoops did not whine about that when they stomped the Gators 🤔

Furthermore, the net-net of what he said was totally disrespectful of his OWN players... not sure how I'd feel if my coach said in the National media that I (as a player on a winning team) and my teammates were all my university "could afford to buy" 😳😤

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go listen to the entire thing...this is out of context twitter click bait and everyone running with this as a story either didn't listen to the whole thing or is being disingenuous. He was addressing a bomb thrower caller to his coaches show and frankly didn't say anything I wouldn't agree with. I think he's just calling it like it is.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You know, Duke is a "basketball school" but you never hear their coach (nor Cutcliffe before him) whining to the National media about it. I actually respect Stoops, but the effective throwing of his current team under the bus does not sit well with me, nor would it with other programs I respect, IMHO

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it is a family thing honestly. He will never be Big Game Bob that is for sure. He has little brother syndrome. Bob won it all. Mark will never win it all.