Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Stoops fires NIL-related shots at Georgia: ‘They bought some pretty good players’

13»

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a **** thing for him to say. I thought he was a classier guy than that.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cry me a river Stoops..

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is not bashing UGA or accusing them, he is being smart and trying to get some NIL money for his team. Nothing to lose respect over. If YOU were the coach at a mid range program or lower, you would want more NIL money too so you can level the playing field so if a player was choosing between you and a top program, NIL would not be what causes that potential star player to choose the other schools. Pretty simple and he sure did not slam UGA.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can imagine Lane Kiffen talking like that but never CKS. I think we could all agree on that.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You contradicted yourself in this. You talked about UGA not getting 5 star WRs. Which No they haven’t. But then at the end of your comments you state UGA won’t get blue chip WRs to block. Which they Have and have won B2B Nattys with them. And well on their way to a historic third.

And you state that UGA doesn’t get RBs anymore. Branson who got injured showed Tons of potential. So does Roderick also injured. And Paul. I think you’ll agree that injuries happen Allot in football. Did UGA get every single 5 star RB in the nation ?! No. Did they get the majority of 5 star RBs available ?? No. But the ones they Did get are pretty darn good.

Also your definition of “blue chip” and mine must be totally different. Lastly Kirby started an Upward trend as a HC in year two of his tenure and it Clearly Shows !! So whatever he’s doing he’s doing Right so far. And look at say the last five years recruiting grades !!! Right there in the Top 3 in most !!! So as a devout Dawgs fan, keep doing what your doing Kirby you have My support !!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Pretty loaded comment. First of all, you seem to be missing the bigger picture with this assessment. Smart doesn't ask anything different of his wide receivers than he does of most-any other position. The philosophy for the entire team is putting the team first. To your own point, the runningbacks rotate a lot. The heavy rotations on defense are well documented. It's only where consistency or a specific chemistry is needed (quarterback, offensive line) that you see the same individuals getting all the reps - and even our OL rotates more than most.

Yet you don't really see this affecting other position groups in recruiting. You mentioned runningbacks, but I have to disagree with your conclusion there. Milton was a top 3 or 4 RB when he signed with Georgia. B. Robinson was anywhere from 1-4 in all the major recruiting services. If I'm not mistaken, Frazier is the nation's top RB in this class. And of course, the names Smart has consistently been able to sign for his heavily rotated defense speak for themselves.

I have a theory, don't know if it's controversial or just common knowledge. For as long as I can remember, long before Smart ever started coaching at Georgia, wide receiver has been the sport's "prima donna" position. Georgia is not a place for prima donnas, which probably has a lot to do with its ascension to the top of the sport. Finding wide receivers who have elite talent and are willing to put the team first and haven't had more money thrown at them from more desperate programs is simply not as common. (Really makes me appreciate the guys who do want to come here.) So, again, Smart isn't doing anything with his receivers that he doesn't do with most other positions on the team. It just shows up more in WR recruiting. You could say it's because Georgia's receivers aren't getting drafted, but that's a chicken/egg situation. Again, to your own argument, the two 5 star guys Smart has had who played the position have both gone on to make a name for themselves in the NFL. If Pickens hadn't gotten injured he almost certainly would have gone in the first round.

Which brings me to my final point. For all the dreaded blocking receivers are asked to do here, there is still room for a superstar. The irony of Carr's comment is that it shows that if a pass catcher has the talent and is willing to put in the work, Georgia is a place where he can become a household name and first round lock.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen !! Well stated !! Like Ladd McConkey who was a three star QB in HS. And to the best of my knowledge never played WR in HS. Look how they coached him up at UGA !! Kirby, UGA, and most Dawgs fans want guys that are Glad to be at UGA !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

MOST OF YOU GUYS DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thadec

I grade WR's as much on what they do when NOT "targeted" as I do when they are "targeted". How well do they run their route when they know they are not the primary receiver? Do they block defenders ( sometimes by just getting in their way ) during run plays or short passing plays? Team success benefits from you doing your part even when you don't get the ball. And your success as a receiver may depend on your teammates doing those things when you receive a pass. Then I consider your percentage of catches when you are targeted ( how many drops?). Did you run your route well enough to get so open, the QB doesn't have to throw into too tight a window to get you the ball, but rather can put you in position to have significant yards after the catch. Do you practice and play hard enough so that you "deliver" when you are "targeted"? I am pretty sure that NFL teams look beyond just the number of receptions and yards.

And, as far a opportunities for a WR at UGA, from what I have seen of Monken's and also Bobo's offense, our good QB's "target" WR's who get open.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 1st rule that is posted is this

"NO ONE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE TEAM"

That is all. Good night.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stoops stepped in a fire ant bed with this one. Personally I am against NIL money but since it seems to be here to stay it should be put into a trust until they graduate or leave school.