Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Bulldogs step back in 37-20 win at Vanderbilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Bulldogs step back in 37-20 win at Vanderbilt

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart challenges his team to get better each week, but that didn’t happen for the Bulldogs at Vanderbilt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What’s your thought on the stock report of our defense as a whole?

We gave up 3 TDs to Vanderbilt in one game which is more than the previous 4 meetings combined.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The defensive backfield is becoming a problem along with our outside contain. I would have mentioned that in the stock down side. The dawgs haven't played anyone great, but they are heading into Florida, Tenn, and Missouri, all are much better then they ones we've played. There's lots of room for improvement. I really don't think the dawgs deserve the number 1 ranking. It's poison, and those kids are drinking the koolaid. Saturday's effort didn't look like a hungry team trying to prove itself.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of those TDs came as a result of a tipped pass interception taken to the one yard line….

Another came from a one-off busted coverage play….

We are ranked second in 3rd down percentage nationally, 6th in interceptions with one more Saturday making nine total, and only allowing 14 points per game after Saturday ……ranked 10th coming into the game

Maybe not so bad…..

Need to keep improving….Better never rests!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vandy also scored 14 on Florida in Gainesville.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"...but not before Vanderbilt became the third SEC opponent (in four games) to lead the Bulldogs by a touchdown or more." Come on, man. They scored on their first possession (the first of the game), and then we immediately met that score.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand what everyone is saying about our performances compared to others. But isn’t the standard the standard?

just because Florida or Alabama did something bad and we did something less bad does that need to be admonished?

I just feel our defense needs leadership

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia played pretty well with 3 or 4 mistakes that cost us.

This game could of easily been 52-7. Tired and beat up team wanting to get it done and go home.

That's what the story line should be.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vandy put 28 pts. on the Hot At That Time Kentucky team. I Know Kentucky has fell since then. But they were Hot at the time Vandy played them. Just sayin……

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree Mike. Mews scares me when it comes to ball security. Such a mistake could be a game changer against better competition which is coming in the next road in the next 4 games.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Correction: Coming in the next four games.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

No team in ALL college football has the pressure on them that the UGA Dawgs have. 1) Until beaten they Are the reigning Ntl. Champions. 2) They are and Have been ranked at #1 by Both Polls all season 3) And Probably most important they are Trying to do something that hasn’t been done since 1936 !!

Kirby tries Really Hard to water all that down. But these kids Know. And it must be Extremely difficult Not to internalize that and let it wear on your psyche !!

NO I’m Not making excuses, just being realistic. The Dawgs lost TONS of their Best players to the NFL and others that had spent all the scholarship time at UGA possible. Plus this has been The Most injuries in a single season since Kirby has been HC !!

Best of my knowledge probably the Most younger inexperienced guys playing. New QB as starter. New OC.

And on that note Mike Bobo has done a Very Good job thus far. Perfect ?? NO !! Mistakes ?? YES !! But so did Monken !! If I could somehow pull up the archived comments I Remember Very Cleary Some Dawgs fans getting frustrated Even angry at Monken at Some points in time.

Neither Bobo or Monken can get out on the field an Execute The Plays. That’s up to the players !! Has Bobo made some questionable not so good calls ?? YES !!! But so did Monken !!

Bobo has to call the plays that he believes his Current players are capable of executing. So ALL these things said Dawgs are 7-0 going into a Much Needed Bye week. At THIS juncture they have Every Bit the possibility of winning the Natty as anyone else.

W’s are Far More important than stats. I can Guarantee you there’s not a Dawgs fan here that wants to see them 3Peat any More than I do. And I Believe it’s Very possible. But I think we should all be realistic and consider the factors I outlined along with probably many more I missed. Putting any and all blame on Beck or Bobo or Any one or two people is a cop out in my opinion as from the coaches to the players it’s a Team sport. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall, we haven't played like the No. 1 team in the nation. We certainly didn't against Vanderbilt.

Of the next six teams in the ranking (all unbeaten), four are averaging larger margins of victory (Mich, Ohio State, Okla. and PSU) while three have better wins (Ohio State, Washington and Okla.).

I suppose the voters realize that the Bulldogs have had a tendency to get bored against lesser foes. And lot of voters are giving us the benefit of the doubt because nobody's knocked us of the top of the hill. All that's reasonable. So maybe it makes sense for us to still be No. 1.

But this team is living dangerously. I'd sure be more comfortable if, by know, we'd put it all together in more than one game. For all the talk about the "weak" schedule, Fla, Ole Miss, Mizz and Tenn ain't no cakewalk. We have to be ready for them, and we didn't look ready Saturday.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Get the heck out of that pit. Vandy field was an ankle mine. Now, UGA report says we are losing Brock Bowers....to surgery. Dawgs are hurting.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next man up. Time for Luckie and Delp to embrace this opportunity.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

1 TD was gift wrapped (though it did only take 1 play to score on 1st and goal from the 1). But I agree w/your point.

@Bdw3184 a busted coverage is a mistake. But it hasn't been a 1 off this season. It has been more the norm. Teams have had success running on UGA and guys have been open on passes. When UGA plays zone it is a problem. Add that to zero pass rush equates to UGA needing to outscore teams the rest of the way.