Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ben Watson shares how Georgia moves on without Brock Bowers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageBen Watson shares how Georgia moves on without Brock Bowers

ATHENS — SEC Network analyst and former NFL and Georgia star Ben Watson believes the East Division is still the Bulldogs’ to lose, even with Brock Bowers potentially out the remainder of the regular season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Chuck Norris, Brock will work so hard he will bend the weight machine!

• Options
    SloanDawgSloanDawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

What’s the status of the four blue-chip RBs on injured reserve? Would be great to get something outta Milton, R. Robinson, and/or Paul going forward!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! You read my mind !! I was just fixing to ask @MikeGriffith the same thing !! In particular Roderick Robinson. He was doing really well before he got injured.

Andrew Paul has played some I guess on him it’s just a matter of him gaining his physical stamina and mental confidence back from his injury.

When Kendall Milton is fully healthy he can contribute Big time !! But bless his heart he just seems to stay injured. Cash Jones is speedy and slippery, good to throw the ball to out of the backfield and if there’s some green in front of him he can really go !! Dillon Bell is a stronger version of Cash at breaking tackles.

But without Milton, looks like Daijun Edwards is the only battering ram type that can push the pile. Edwards has also shown pretty good speed and very good cutting abilities. So we really need Both Robinson and Paul back.

As another battering ram type it looks to me that Robinson can fit that role when fully healthy. Maybe Both of those guys will be available after the Bye.

• Options

It’s not off topic as Ben Watson talks about it in his comments. But concerning the O Line wonder what the status of Xavier Truss is on his ankle injury ??

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Navy...I think "Edwards", is all the running back, UGA needs. Give him 20-30 carries per game...while rotating Milton, Bell, Rod-Rob, Jones and Paul.

Edwards gets stronger as the game goes on, into the 4th qtr.. And Milton looked like the "old Milton", last week.

If Bobo can get those two guys [Edwards & Milton] cranked up, in the second half of the season...the Dawgs won't "need" much of a passing game. They will be able to hit that skinny post, or slant across the middle at will, off the play-action. As long as teams are trying to take away the perimeter and sidelines, anyway.

i expect Bobo to occasionally install a 2-back set with [Bell or Jones] & [Edwards or Milton], every now and again...as change-of-pace backs and to create mismatches on the edge. Similar to how they used Cook and Mcintosh over the last 2 years. Both [Bell & Jones], are experienced and can catch and/or run out of the backfield, when needed....[thanks to Kirby's liberal substitution plan, early in the season].

Lol...the Dawgs' embarrassment of riches, makes Bowers injury irrelevant to how the they finish the season. Sorry...no OSU or Bama "Injury Natty's" will ever be claimed in Athens. Don't need em.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this is a very accurate and fair assessment. We have a line built for the run game. Edwards, most unexpectantly imo might be our next 1000 yard guy. Also, between Beck's accurate passing and the following guys JackSaint, Rara, Lovett, Ladd we should be good to go. Delp/Luckie need to catch 4-6 balls a game to keep the defense honest.

The guy I really want to see more of because I believe he is the real deal is CJ Smith. Give me more of him.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Get better soon Brock!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been with UGA through thick-n-thin and have watched some elite players over the past 50+ years come through UGA. Brock Bowers is second to only Herschel as my favorite player ever. Jake Scott is up there, Scott Woerner, AJ Green, Knowshon, Hines Ward, Stetson, David Pollack and many others. But Brock is second only to the greatest college football player of all time! And that's saying something!

• Options

Agree !! I’m Terrible and I do mean Terrible at articulating my thoughts !! You said what I was trying to say. Essentially Supplement Edwards with the other RBs.

The rest of my comments aren’t directed AT You, just speaking in general terms. I could be wrong but I think you’ll agree with me. Not that I care that much but I got down voted for wanting Robinson back and Paul better !! Lol 🤪

Edwards IS one of those guys that runs better the more he gets lathered up !! He’s a Hoss !! But he will need to be spelled from time to time. Like I said or Tried to say Milton is a Beast WHEN he’s fully healthy but that’s been a scarce commodity unfortunately for him and the team so far. He’s just lacked consistency in being Able to be on the field.

All I was saying about Robinson was he was doing really well until he got hurt. Coaches were raving about Paul last year. Some people here worry to much about “taking the starter guys snaps”. I don’t see it that way. I see it as periodically giving the starter guy a rest when he’s starting to get gassed, there for keeping him fresh.

I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t want as many RBs Available as possible, Available and Playing are two different things. God Forbid !! Mean that !! But what if Edwards got injured and Milton is either injured or not fully healthy ?? Think some of these folks might be Glad to see Robinson or Paul or Both come in with some In Game experience rather than just raw green ??

I’ve Never claimed to be a football expert !! Not even close. But I’ve been listening to on the radio then later watching on TV the Dawgs since I was about 7 yrs. old out of my 66 years. No I never played in an organized team, but some times just common sense enters in.

Though he is Great, probably the best player at UGA since Herschel but in a different role, but Bowers just showed that even the toughest guy can get injured !! We can use all the Quality guys possible !!

That’s exactly Why Kirby has tried to play as many guys as possible. Real Game snaps are So valuable !! Bobo and Kirby Both know who the bread & butter, go to guys are, their Not gonna rob them of snaps Lol !! Plus giving these young guys snaps now will pay dividends next year. All I’m saying in the skill positions even our very best guys have to catch their breath. So we need a Quality guy or guys to be able to come in and not take a step backwards. I’m a fan of ALL our Dawgs, though Yes I have my favorites to. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ben is a DGD. His comments are much appreciated.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    edited October 2023

Lol...yep. Jake Scott and Bill Stanfill were my two favorite NFL/Dawgs, in the 60's-70's. I hated that I had to watch em play on the Miami Dolphins. I didn't care for Don Shula after the way he treated Johnny Unitas, when he Coached Baltimore. I always thought of Shula as a fortunate opportunist, that won using other coaches' rosters.

Scott Woerner was one the most exciting and explosive players, UGA ever had...IMO. 3 words....[Fun To Watch].. Lol...you wouldn't know it, to look at him...but, he was a big reason for UGA's success through that period.

• Options

FYI, Navy....Bowers will most likely be back, for the Tennessee game, if not before. They said, he's pushing hard to get back on the field..."already". Bein' Superman and all....my money's on the Mizzou game on Nov. 4.

If Tua can return from "Tightrope Surgery", in 27 days......[which, he did after the 2018 SECCG and returned to beat Oklahoma in the semi-finals].....there's no-tellin' what Bowers can do. Florida, maybe?. Lol

A Bulldog rep for On3, said that...The surgery, Bowers had [tightrope], was a 25 minute outpatient procedure, that just goes in and ti-wraps the two ligaments together, to allow it to heal faster. Bowers requested it, after he talked to Mims...whom will be returning, 4 weeks after his surgery. Mims is expected to play, in the Florida game.

• Options

Yeah after reading about Lawson Luckie dressing out for the UAB game I’m much more optimistic. I sure Hope your right !! And you might well be. I’ll put like this I wouldn’t want to bet against You as you’ve been right Allot this year !! 😂 Put your magic on this one to please !!

• Options

@BigDawg61 Johnny Unitas !! There’s a name I haven’t heard in quite a while !! I remember I cried when Broadway Joe Namath beat Johnny in Super Bowl number what ever Lol !! I was somewhere around 7-9 years old when that game took place.

Back then I thought Johnny’s last name was spelled Uniteus like Unite Us and I guess that’s why I loved him so much Lol !! Then Bart Starr to !! What is your very earliest personal memories of football ??

When I was I don’t know some where around 4-6 yrs old the announcers would say he now has 100 yds Rushing. And I’d think Why do they keep talking about the Russians ?? 😂

Then the announcers would say And it’s 1st and goal for such and such team !! And I’d think first to the Gold ?? 😂 We didn’t have a TV at our house until I was about 9-10 years old so I heard these things on the radio !!

Wanna know how I become a Dawgs fan at about age 7 ?? Well I figured yellow jackets are mean, they’ll sting you, I think I Had been stung by them. But you can pet and love on a good ole Bulldog. Hmmm so I chose the Bulldogs !! Became a life long fan from that moment !! 😀. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Gosh I was 12 yrs old when Broadway Joe and his Jets beat Johnny Unitas and his Colts !! I thought I was younger than that Lol !! But I remember we were at my Grandparents home watching it on their black & white TV. Big ole cabinet with little bitty screen Lol !! That’s how TVs were back then. More like a piece of furniture than something to view programs on !! 😂