Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

With The Crean Hire, McGarity Will Go Down

nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

as the worse AD in UGA history... He kept Fox for 9 years!!! No post season success

We will be stuck with mediocrity bball for the next 3-4 years. At that end of Crean tenure, McGarity will retire. (bank on it)

I just don't see him recruiting top talent in the Atlanta metro area. He even looks like old and delusional. I'm sure he's a good guy, but I just don't see it. Maybe he will hire someone else to recruit. Please prove me wrong coach Crean. We are starving for some bball success, and I don't mean just the first and second round of the tourney.

Do you guys realize that the state of Georgia is the only SE state with no major representation in the NCAA tournament? Florida, Carolina, Alabama, Tenn, Va, SC (with multiple teams). You mean to tell me we can't recruit better bball players than Auburn and Charleston?

This is my last thread on this matter. I had to get it off my chest. Now I'm going to exhale and get ready for the draft and spring football.

Sigh- SMH

Go Dawgs!

Comments

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirbs will keep McGarity around

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@nycdawg said:
    as the worse AD in UGA history... He kept Fox for 9 years!!! No post season success

We will be stuck with mediocrity bball for the next 3-4 years. At that end of Crean tenure, McGarity will retire. (bank on it)

I just don't see him recruiting top talent in the Atlanta metro area. He even looks like old and delusional. I'm sure he's a good guy, but I just don't see it. Maybe he will hire someone else to recruit. Please prove me wrong coach Crean. We are starving for some bball success, and I don't mean just the first and second round of the tourney.

Do you guys realize that the state of Georgia is the only SE state with no major representation in the NCAA tournament? Florida, Carolina, Alabama, Tenn, Va, SC (with multiple teams). You mean to tell me we can't recruit better bball players than Auburn and Charleston?

This is my last thread on this matter. I had to get it off my chest. Now I'm going to exhale and get ready for the draft and spring football.

Sigh- SMH

Go Dawgs!

MAYBE , just maybe I am being delusional on this matter. I believe that Tom Crean needed a year away (commenting & working at ESPN)... & now the fresh start for him as Georgia's new head coach, this could signal the absolute BEST EVER basketball Georgia will have ever seen, & it is just over the horizon WITH THIS HIRE. Certainly, AD Greg McGarity has his issues... but this might be one time that he (looking back) completely CRUSHED IT, & KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK. GO DAWGS!!!

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@christopherules said:

@nycdawg said:

Sigh- SMH

Go Dawgs!

MAYBE , just maybe I am being delusional on this matter. I believe that Tom Crean needed a year away (commenting & working at ESPN)... & now the fresh start for him as Georgia's new head coach, this could signal the absolute BEST EVER basketball Georgia will have ever seen, & it is just over the horizon WITH THIS HIRE. Certainly, AD Greg McGarity has his issues... but this might be one time that he (looking back) completely CRUSHED IT, & KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK. GO DAWGS!!!

Gawd i hope so

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018
  • BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

GOD, I wished spring practice started tomorrow..... basketball will ALWAYS be the third most important sport at UGA.

1. Football
    2. Football recruiting
    3. basketball

"This my last thread on the matter"..... you promise?

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Pigeons said:

@nycdawg said:

Stopped reading at "worse"

You stopped reading at worse but wasted more time responding...

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Pigeons said:

@nycdawg said:

Stopped reading at "worse"

Lol

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NYC has created an epic post. Hey, let’s have fun with this.

“With the Crean hire, McGarity will go down....to the nearest bar, order 3 shots, and play Blake Shelton on the jukebox”

What y’all got?

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“With the Crean hire, McGarity will go down....to the Steg and watch the Dawgs go dancing on a yearly basis”

• gamakaigamakai Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

"I just don't see him recruiting top talent in the Atlanta metro area. He even looks like old and delusional."

and you know this based on what?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"With the Crean hire, McGarity will go down..... in UGA history as the man who hired Kirby"

I hope my apathy for Bball doesn't show that much.

• TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia is a gold mine for basketball and if he is the coach D-Wade say's he is McGarity may be the AD that presided over a dominating football and basketball team. It doesn't hurt to be optimistic.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@nycdawg: Love your passion. You sound like a DGD. But I commend to you the lyrics of "Jumper" from Third Eye Blind:
    "I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend"

I predict Crean will turn out to be a good hire. Some reasons:
    1. Guy definitely has passion (see presser)
    2. He is an offense-minded coach, and Lord knows we could use some offense
    3. This article: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/02/21/tom-crean-teaching-year-harbaugh-belichick-tim-grgurich-lebron-james-dwyane-wade
    4. DWade believes in him and instantly became a Dawg fan
    5. He is inheriting a more stable program and better players than he did when he went to IU

Let's give him a chance, Dawg Nation!

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tom Crean at Marquette - NCAA tourney in 5 of 9 years. 1 final four.
    Tom Crean at Indiana - NCAA tourney in 4 of 9 years. 2 sweet sixteen.

Makes the tourney half the time. Has some success. He's an upgrade I think.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't know enough about all the other sports at UGA, but I feel McGaritty has done good where the football and basketball programs are concerned. Getting rid of CMR was a tough decision with his won-loss record and the respect he had gained for the way he ran his program. Getting Kirby made that decision look over-due, but who knows how it would have turned out with a different coach. Getting rid of CMF wasn't that tough of a decision, as his won-lost record wasn't enough to overlook the benefits of running the program the right way. Coach Crean definitely bring some much needed enthusiasm to the program and I hope Dawg Nation gives him the same support it has given Kirby.