Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Missouri opens its so-called ‘November to Remember’ as underdog at Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,652 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageMissouri opens its so-called ‘November to Remember’ as underdog at Georgia

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart and his coaching staff got ahead of the Missouri game during the bye week, scouting out the Tigers before Florida preparations began.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the Dawgs will come into this one with some payback in mind for the cheap shot on Jalen Carter.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Mizzou has played a tougher schedule than the Dawgs thus far in the season. Their one loss to LSU was by 10 points and both teams played pretty evenly with over 500 yards of offense on each side. Mizzou did beat Kansas State earlier this year by a field goal, and Kansas State just blew out Houston yesterday 41-0....a Houston team that barely lost to Texas last weekend in a very close game. So, I guess you can say that these Tigers seem for real. I'm glad the game is in Athens. I think it will be much closer than the line, and the Tigers are coming off a bye week.

And, btw, Dawgs won't be ranked #1 when the CFP rankings come out Tuesday...

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You think they’ll be 2 or 3 then if they beat Mizzou move up to #1??

• Options
    edited October 2023

@Brooksie...just based on results and SOS thus far I would rank the Top 4 as #1 Ohio State (beat ranked ND and Penn State), #2 UGA, #3 Michigan, #4 FSU...these rankings mean nothing right now as we all know, but it's fun to see how it shakes out each week. And it depends on if they win, how they play against Mizzou, and what the other ranked teams do as to whether they are back on top. If we take care of business in November then we should probably be on top at that point. Either Ohio State or Michigan will lose when they play each other at the end of the month. But what if Ohio State wins out and beats Michigan? They might be ranked #1 even if we go undefeated based on SOS. The Conference Championship game results will obviously play a big factor. FSU has only beaten one ranked team (LSU) as the rankings stand today, so I'm not worried about them. If Oregon wins out (highly possible if they keep playing the way they are now) then I'd say they will be in the Top 4.

Remember, Ohio State beat those 2 ranked teams with (3) top starters out - their RB Henderson (just played for the first time yesterday and rushed for 162 yards), the WR Egbuka, and one of their top TEs I think...

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Should we count how many starters Georgia has been going without throughout the season? (Never seems to work that way, does it?) Ohio State just hasn't looked all that great to me this year, wouldn't be that concerned if there were a rematch with them. And I include both of their top wins in saying that. It won't surprise me to see people making the "look who they've beaten" argument as a reason to put them #1, but it feels to me like 2022 Tennessee all over again.

Oh, and I think you're thinking of Stover, TE for Ohio State. They did have him for PSU. I believe he was the one guy other than MHJ who caught a pass in that game. (Probably an exaggeration, but not by much.)

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree. Penn was pretty well overrated, as was ND. It took OSU for. ev. er. to pull away from a middling Wisconsin team yesterday, and they seemed to need some breaks to do that. They just seem to move so slow, lumbering around this year. I thought the same about the way FSU is moving.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come Tuesday afternoon (for me in AZ), I expect the CFPC to shock the world with there selection by placing The Wolverines at the #5 slot because of the dark clouds gathering around Jim, The Burger Mister, sign stealing, NCAA recruit violator, Harbaugh......which will leave The Dawgs at #1, The Bucknuts, #2, The Purple Rain Huskies #3 and The Semi-Noles #4, all will be settled when Big Blue agrees to call the game against The Ohio State blind folded to insure no signs were stolen but beats them anyway like a red headed step child. The "status quo" will remain the same until the last week when Bayou Billy and the Swamp Lizards throw down on the Semi-Noles allowing an invitation to the Big Dance to The Oregon Quacks......IMHO, but who the hell knows, so we'll see how things shake out week by week......On to prepare for the Mizzo Dinkwitts.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

As I recall in August when Williams Nwaneri committed to Mizzou so many posters on this site questioned it because Eli was going to be gone at the end of the year. I see nobody wants to step up and eat crow like y'all want the "experts" at ESPN to do all the time

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@E_Roc

Do you count all the starters that are down for the other teams also?

• Options
    edited October 2023

Huh? I said what I did in response to someone doing exactly that. Did you not see the large white block of text above my comment?

• Options

@E_Roc...that's true about our starters, but we haven't had to play against teams like ND and Penn State without them like Ohio State has done. Yes, Stover is the TE and yes, he is finally back. Egbuka should be back pretty soon too. Ohio State hasn't looked as dominating as last year when they had Stroud, and McCord is still learning and finding his way. But, they have the best resume right now, and that is why I put them at #1.

• Options

Fair enough. But when a team has won the last two national titles, hasn't lost a game in nearly two full calendar years, and clearly plays its best in its biggest games, I have a hard time seeing the case for ultimately ranking anyone ahead of them until they lose. I'm not at all convinced that Georgia wouldn't have played better against ND and PSU than Ohio State did. What's more, by the time the final playoff ranking is decided, Georgia likely will have played a tougher overall schedule than Ohio State (and Michigan). So again, I don't really see what good it does to ding them at this point, before they've lost and before they've played their best opponents.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
  • Options

@E_Roc...I totally understand your point. My Top 4 is based on what I THINK the CFP Committee will do in their first rankings. We'll see come Tuesday. You may be right and they could keep the Dawgs at #1.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Their November To Remember will soon meet our November To Dismember. It will not be pretty. They will not forget it any time soon. 2023-peat!!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

Sorry folks. I will be surprised if the dawgs are #1 Tuesday evening. Not that the other teams are that much better, but until proven guilty for their violations, UM has played their starters in garbage time to pad the points. , thus look like they are better

UM, UGA, FSU, WASH

And they actually might put FSU 2nd.

this next weeks games will start clearing things up and by the last regular season game, 1&2 should be a lock with 3&4 sneaking in with a conference championship.