Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Texas A&M firing Jimbo Fisher means for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhat Texas A&M firing Jimbo Fisher means for Georgia football

Texas A&M is now in the market for a new head coach, as the Aggies made the decision to part ways with Jmbo Fisher on Sunday morning. Billy Liucci of TexAgs was the first to report that Fisher would be dismissed on Sunday morning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is there a 6' and under league he could coach in?

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

A&M can blame no one but themselves for hiring this joke. Now you get what you deserve..a $76,000,000 buyout.Not to mention what you'll have to pay another coach to come in, and try to extinguish the dumpster fire known as Texas A&M. Gonna cost you again, so you best make the right hire this time..instead of another snake oil salesman like dumbo wisher.

• Options
  • Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jimbo is one of those coaches whose teams will only beat teams that are outclassed talent wise. Hearing Deion's grumblings about the talent level at CO makes me put him in that category as well. There are many others. They don't outcoach or out scheme anybody. They can only out talent them.

Where does aTm go next? Urban Meyer sure seems like the logical choice. The next choice will greatly influence who stays and how many recruits they keep.

I hope that CKS keeps some room for TP additions. aTm has a deep DL of 4* and 5* players. UGA will need to add 2 (min.) TP DL players for the '24 season.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fisher now has more pocket money than Smart with that ridiculous buyout. Why look? Just leave the game and enjoy one of the Rivieras. Elko is a candidate? I can see Norvell or Lanning. Both have built solid top programs rather quickly. Would they leave their programs is another thing...at least so soon. I suspect Aggies have someone in mind.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My advice to TAMIE, this time go for the coach with the proven record of DEVELOPING PLAYERS......it's not enough to throw money at 5 star dreamers, you've got to recruit talent that buys into the culture you establish....ie: WIN by playing as a TEAM! To that extent and guessing you all are a tad tight on cash, I'd forget the PRIME choice of Dan Lanning....though he'd be my first pick.....I'd extend an offer to Jeff Traylor of UTSA. He's a hell of a great coach, recruiter and he knows how to develop players.....plus you'd only have to double his current 2.5 mil salary and for cheap.......IMHO, cause I know what he's accomplished since coming to USTA...... you'd install the forth best coach in the SEC.....Kirby, Nick, Kelly, Traylor,....et al.

NOTE: To all my Dawg Bros & Sistas....my list is my list and I welcome convincing arguments to the contrary.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the world of Dan Lanning, but I hope he stays at Oregon where he seems to be a good fit. Also, he was a great recruiter when at UGA so we don’t need to have him stomping around our backyard for recruits. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    edited November 2023

I wouldn't put Kelly in the top 4 best SEC coaches, maybe 5th.. behind Kirby, saban, Drinkwitz at Missouri (who did more than lsu with less talent), and even Kiffen has done better at ole miss this year. I know Kelly took lsu to the seccg, while Drinkwitz, and Kiffen havent even won a division title. My main reason for putting those 2 ahead of kelly is..he always loses 2 or 3 games every season he has no business losing. It happened every year at Notre Dame, and now it looks that stigma has followed him from Indiana to Louisiana.

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’d make Dabo Sweeney, Kyle Whittingham and Dan Lanning tell me no thanks.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dabo....🤣

Christmas come early - can you imagine Dabo interacting with A&M fans....yes please!

I would wager Whittingham is never leaving Utah. He has to ingrained himself into that program and vice versa.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stoops or Drinkwitz would be the best hires imo. They know the SEC, have done more with less to work with. For Stoops he may be ok riding off into the Sunset as his energy level looks lower than it used to. However, Eli is on the way up and building quite a program at Missouri but they are still limited by being Missouri. Drink would be an ideal hire and if he could get some of his recruits and a couple current players to follow him to Texas A&M they could compete next year.

Kingsbury would be an awful hire. He would be gone in 3 years. SEC plays defense and Kingsbury is an all offensive guy. The Utah coach, Wittingham is never leaving Utah. Lanning is building a great program at Oregon so I don't see him leaving. Oregon is a better job than Texas A&M. Norvell isn't leaving FSU. FSU is a better job and he is killing it on the recruiting field and having his best year.

I think PJ Fleck also would be worth a shot. He has done a good job with Minnesota but it limited. Texas A&M would a pretty good fit imo.

Top 3 choices

Drink

Fleck

Stoops

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah,no!!! We don't need rat faced Urban Meyer back in the SEC.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

Jimbo Fisher inherited a program fro Bobby Bowden. He didn't have that luxury at A&M and he has shown that he isn't capable of doing that even at a school that poured tons of money into their program.

Now he has $76M to retire on for being an abject failure.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Urban Meyer was the coach of my team.... I'd find a new team. He is a sleazeball. But aTm is a top 10 job ready made to take off. Meyer knows that. Instant contender. Plus aTm wants a name and experienced winner. They are desperate. It just makes too much sense.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prediction: A&M is going to follow 1 mistake with another.

The first mistake was giving Jimbo 95 million guaranteed for 10 years. That reset the HC salary across the landscape.

They are now going to follow that up with an even bigger mistake. Think 15-20 mil a year for 4-5 years. This again will reset the HC salary landscape. Athletic Directors across the country are puckering up.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did I miss something? What does Jimbo's firing mean to Georgia?

• Options
    edited November 2023

He eventually ruined the Seminoles football program, it took them a few years to become relevant again after he left. People in Tallahassee were glad to see this snake in the grass go. Now he's basically done the same thing at A&M, and it'll take a couple of years to be re-built. The talent , and money are definitely there to win at A&M for the next HC. Question is, how many of those elite players stay to help the rebuild, and dont transfer? I'd bet the Aggie fans feel the same way about Fisher as those in Tallahasse do.