Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following massive win over Ole Miss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following massive win over Ole Miss

Winner: Kendall Milton

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hands down, chiseled in steel fact....our O-Line won this game.....opened/held holes a Kirby/Bobo horsey ride could have traversed, kept Carson so clean, he won the Tide Challenge, allowed time for a recheck on every check down, and finally, convinced the Rebel D of their futility on every snap. As I said before, ......IMHO, The Dawgs O-Line won the Joe Moore Saturday night via Technique and a generous application of brute force.

With a tip of my hat to Chris Janson, we all know that money can buy you a boat and a truck to pull it, a Yeti 110 iced down with the Silver Bullet but MONEY can and never will buy True Love at a cat-house or a Natty.......Happy fishin Jimbo!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couldn't agree more. That hold on Brock was so in your face. The referee had to consciously decide not to call that. It was pretty egregious. Then they go and call a no call against Humphries which was ridiculous.

The refereeing last couple weeks has been pretty bad. 2 weeks ago was the worst I've seen in years.

On a positive note the running by Milton was the best I've ever seen from him. If he keeps that up we are going to win this thing easily. Mims and Tater are beasts on that right side. I'm thinking no one stops us. We got some NFL motivation happening now for some of these guys and they are ready to help their draft stock. I expect us to maul everyone from here on out including the Gumps.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Connor...just gave me chills reading it...thanks!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

On the Vince Dooley comparison I want to mention a couple of things.

1. Smart is winning 3 more games a year, but is getting more shots to do so. Dooley had seasons of as little as 10 (1965, 1970) and never more than 12 games. Smart has had 13 games every year but the pandemic-shortened 2020, and 14 games every year but that and 2016, and 15 games in 2017, 2021 and 2022. Smart essentially averages 14 games a year to Dooley's 12.
    2. There is A LOT more talent in Georgia these days than there was in the early 60s through the late 80s of the Dooley era. As late as the 1980s most of the state was rural and poor. Because of this Georgia didn't produce very many big time football prospects, and a lot of those who existed didn't academically qualify. The ones that actually got to Athens didn't get much in the way of development in high school i.e. Herschel Walker not having a weight room. And recruiting nationally wasn't going to happen: UGA was considered an average public school in a backwater state, plus back then almost no college football games weren't shown on national TV except bowl games so a lot of recruits outside the southeast barely knew that UGA existed. Dooly had to make do with mostly a bunch of farm boys from the sticks who needed to be taught the basics on (and off) the field and needed a lot of help in the classroom. Contrast that with today where thanks to 3 population booms UGA is the 8th largest state and by the next census they will likely pass Ohio for #7 (though that will also require holding off North Carolina) and produces more talent per capita than any other state. Also, UGA is now a "public Ivy" that would be an AAU school if it had either full blown engineering or medical programs - write your state legislators on that one UGA fans! - and has progressed from a mostly agricultural economy to being a technology, transportation and entertainment hub which makes landing Texas, Virginia and California kids who see UGA on CBS and ESPN nearly every week easy. Meaning that Smart can get very polished kids from football factories all over the country to play with instead of kids who need 3 years in the weight room, dining hall and with the playbook before they can contribute in the SEC like Dooley did.

Don't get me wrong. Smart is a great coach. The guys at Texas, Texas A&M, USC, UCLA, Florida, FSU, Miami, UNC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State etc. have had the same advantages as Smart has now and more - including easier conferences to play in and not having to play a loaded Saban team nearly every year just to get to the playoff etc. - and haven't done squat with it. I am merely saying that Vince Dooley with the advantages that Kirby Smart has right now would have been very formidable, and Smart is the first guy who would admit it.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally different era. Hard to compare.

However, we may be witnessing the greatest run in college football history. Now, how long will this go on? Who knows but Kirby has put himself in the conversation which at 48 years of age is a remarkable thing in itself.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great epic comment, thadec. Appreciated the nuanced context. But as a geography/statistics nerd, I really appreciated the socio-economic analysis.

Now, that's something I never expected to actually write in a rabid Dawg fans' comment section! :-)

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

OK, I agree with some of the limitations that Dooley had when he was head coach but let's not pretend UGA was in the stone age. Dooley recruited some of the best players in the country and turned UGA into Running Back U with Willie McClendon, Herschel Walker, Lars Tate, Keith Henderson and Tim Worley from 1979 - 1987. He also had Erk Russell as a defensive coordinator and the vaunted Junkyard Dawgs Defense. I realize Kirby will have a better record and has taken UGA to new heights as far as football is concerned, but Vince Dooley took UGA Football to another level. I also appreciate everything Mark Richt did as head coach, winning 9+ games a year and recruiting at a high level.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. I love this comment from Kirby: “We’re going to give one up the first drive. Didn’t shock me at all. I’ve practiced my patience.” The guy has a knack for matter-of-factly saying exactly the right thing.
    2. Warms my heart to see Milton at his best right now. I've always liked that young man -- comes off as smart and good-natured. I've also always thought he had A-level RB potential. It's still just one 127-yard game (how many of those has Judkins had in just two years?). But I'm hoping he pounds the rock over the next five games into a nice draft pick.
    3. Speaking of draft picks: Who votes for Ratledge staying for another year? Five-star guy is really strutting his stuff after that bad injury. That agile second-level block to spring Edwards on the toss-sweep into the end zone was a thing of beauty. C'mon, Tate: Stay for another year. You could finish up 2024 as a 1st team All-American!