Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tennessee expert gives Vols ‘fighting chance,’ reveals telltale stats in matchup

SystemSystem Posts: 10,507 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageTennessee expert gives Vols ‘fighting chance,’ reveals telltale stats in matchup

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Josh Heupel gives Tennessee “a fighting chance” for an upset against Georgia, according to SportsSource.TV host John Pennington.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

"the law of averages is the law of averages for a reason. It’s hard to just keep winning, especially against programs like Nick Saban and like Alabama."....If football was nothing more than the roll of the dice, I'd say The Vols definitely have a shot BUT winners win because of talent depth, TEAM execution, elite coaching and a win at any cost culture developed and instilled into every player over the course of the toughest practices in college football. The Georgia v Tennessee game is sold out.....given the arse kicking The Vols received last Saturday, temps in the low 50's with a chance of rain and facing the BEST TEAM in America, I'd say a lot less than the 70 k will attend.....and given what The Dawgs have accomplished and how they have continued to improve and grow.....it will not be too difficult to keep winning in Knoxville and then in Hotlanta, and then at Mercedes!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby and the Dawgs are the dominant program-NOT Bama.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Super important for the Dawgs to score early and get off to a fast start. In Neyland, it is imperative we take the fans out of the equation as soon as possible.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't find much disagreement in what he's saying here, including his outlook on the upcoming SECCG. And he's spot-on about the law of averages, which is EXACTLY why I'm terrified every time the Dawgs take the field now. As good as we all know they are, I can't help but think: is THIS the day that it all comes to a sad end? And that's what bothers me so much about giving up those opening-drive TD's. I'm hoping that because we've come back every time, that the team, especially the defense, isn't getting cavalier about them now. Even Kirby himself said that he's just kind of come to expect it now. That shocked me. I'm just praying that some how, some way, the Dawgs will get a stop on the Vols' opening drive Saturday night, even if we don't score on ours. I think that would go a long way in setting the tone for the game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

[“I would take Georgia in that game. At the same time, if I’m a Georgia fan, the law of averages is the law of averages for a reason. It’s hard to just keep winning, especially against programs like Nick Saban and like Alabama. You’re going to have to beat what has been the best program in the country over the last decade, and the best coach in the history of the sport, that’s the tough ask to do that on top of 28 (wins) in a row.”]

It's the Dawgz time, it's our time, a house is only strong as the solid ground its foundation is laid upon. Georgia football is built and laid on that solid ground from top to bottom. Go Dawgz crush the Vols.😎

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs on top...again. TN, Bama, doesn't matter.

• Options
    CdjdawgCdjdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Heupel is 32-0 in Knoxville when allowing under 27 points? Isn’t this his third year? How many home games do they get?

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DAWGs will need to play very disciplined and mistake-free ball in order to win in that environment. Any slip-ups or if the Vols get out big, it will be a madhouse. DAWGS certainly have the talent and seem to be gelling at the right time but UT is still a good team and playing at home with nothing to lose and a chance to make their season.

On another note, does Heupel intentionally dress like a bum or a poor man’s Lebowski?! It can’t be accidental and just not sure what that look is designed to transmit, but confidence and great coaching is not it for me. Go DAWGs and silence the crowd on Rocky Top early and often.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm seeing something similar, if not worse.

I think Kirby is ready to turn these kids loose and let them eat!

At this point, I don't think there's anything to hide in terms of the playbook.

I no longer worry about a shootout with Alabama.

If Lane would text Kirby and tell him that the secondary has no equal in the conference, that's good enough for me.

Kirby may even want to get out to a huge lead so he can rest the starters ASAP.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, I was going to mention that law of averages thing. As it turns out, it really only is a thing as you approach infinity. I could flip a coin a hundred times and hit heads every time. A thousand, even. Law of averages just says that EVENTUALLY everything evens out. It can take a looooooong time to hit that “eventually.”

• Options
    softballcoachsoftballcoach Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

Another article that looks away from the Dawgs and tries to find a reason the other team might win. Good job Mr. Griffith.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe, in this instance, the writer means that SINCE HEUPEL BECAME THE HEAD COACH AT UT, WHICH IS IN KNOXVILLE, the team is 32-0 when allowing fewer than 27 points, REGARDLESS of where they played the game. Mike probably could, and should, have written that sentence more clearly.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Heupel had never been on a team that didn't score 10 or more points until last week.

So there is that. Missouri held them to 7 points. Think about that.

Tennessee scored 7 against Missouri

16 against Florida

20 against Alabama

33 against Kentucy

So about 76 points total or around 19 point average. 19 points.

We should be able to score at least 20 each half. 40-19. I wll give them a gimme td so 40-26 Dawgs.