Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Marcellus Barnes Jr: Where does Georgia football now stand with the Virginia Tech decommitment?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageMarcellus Barnes Jr: Where does Georgia football now stand with the Virginia Tech decommitment?

This Sentell’s Intel rep has the latest with 3-star DB Marcellus Barnes Jr. He ranks as the nation’s No. 38 CB and the No. 471 prospect for 2024 on the 247Sports Composite. The On3 Industry Ranking has him as the nation’s No. 35 CB and No. 358 overall recruit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like a nice addition to our CB room. Somehow our 3* and low 4* CBs have come out better than our 5* CBs. Baker, Stokes, Lassiter, Humphrey have been better than Cambell, Green, Everette even though I would put Ringo with the first group. I hope Ellis Robinson will change that.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

If a potential dynasty is recruiting me why would I snub them for a mediocre school? Worried about playing time? Just a thought.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Humphrey was a 5*. He was higher rated than Everette. Based on the highlights Barnes's game looks a lot like a young Lassiter.

Gotta wonder how many young guys CKS takes in this class knowing UGA needs TP defensive linemen and safties.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGADad20, Humphrey was a 4 star, Everette was a 5 star according to 247sports.com.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mr Barnes, rest assured you have found your home.....once again "stars" and rating services are merely cursory and often misleading....sorta like comparing a diamond at Tiffany's with a chunk of rock right out of the diamond mine......in the jewelry store, it's what you see is all you get...when that chunk of rock has the Fran Brown/Kirby Smart stamp on it....you're going to get way more than any jewelry store can provide!

With Ondre Evens #1 CB Tenn, Ellis Robinson #2 CB Fla, and Demello Jones #12 GA.....you don't add a cubic zirconia to a Four Diamond CB ring, so Marcellus Barnes will be a perfect match for a CB ring that would make a Tiffany's Girl swoon!

• Options

According to Rivals Humphrey was a 5* #26 overall. Everette was a 4* #42 overall. Singletary was a 5* #10 overall.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like it that Kirby evaluates the potential and fit far more than star rating. This is consistent with how he tries to handle NIL-don't give it as a major inducement to a high school phenom but rather to those who are actually performing well for the Dawgs.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGADad20, Yes, Rivals had Humphrey as a 5 star, and Everette as a 4 star, but 247sports does a composite ranking which compares all the recruiting sites, and Humphrey was still rated as a 4 star, an Everette was rated a 5 star, ESPN.com recruiting had Humphrey as a 4 star, and Everette as a 4 star, you can either pick one site, or compare them all, and that's what I did, the difference to me is Kirby brings these recruits in for the eye test, and that means more to me than all these recruiting sites.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KId has the athleticism. He should grow into his frame and add 10-12 pounds of muscle. He has the speed, now he just needs to be coached up.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everette #18 & 5 star on 247sports.com

Humphrey #88 & 4 star on 247sports.com

Composite ranking for 247 that measures all sites together has:

Everette #28 & 5 star

Humphrey #81 & 4 star.

Barnes will be this class's Bullard regardless of rankings!

• Options

So based on Humphrey moving past Everette prior to his injury it looks like Rivals was right? Any composite that includes ESPN will be skewed wrong.

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Sentell’s Intel: The things to value about Marcellus Bryant Jr."

Somebody needs a proofreader! 🙃🙃🙃