Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart to win more national titles than Nick Saban, per ESPN star

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart to win more national titles than Nick Saban, per ESPN star

ATHENS — Peter Burns has no problem looking ahead and predicting Georgia will win the SEC Championship Game and College Football Playoffs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

RAT POISON......

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"there’s no personal fouls, no 10 men on the field penalties"

I agree, UGA has really been impressive when it comes t avoiding the dreaded "10 men on the field penalty", LOL.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

It’s great that the University of Georgia football program is finally getting respect.

however, I don’t think any coach will match Saban’s NC number in the new era of playoffs. Sure a 4 team matchup maybe. But given it’s already a 12 team gauntlet with the SEC championship now the 2 best teams. And future CFP may even include additional teams. Throw on top of that , Saban did it in the non portal/NIL competition.

don’t get me wrong I would like to see CKS hang a dozen NATTIES on the wall. But think the changing landscape is working against those odds.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

The irony of you using a “Sabinism” in an article stating Kirby is better.

so Saban didn’t build a culture that could handle compliments. But I believe that is fundamental to the Bulldog program.

• Options
    mlm1947mlm1947 Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

You may not like him, but you absolutely have to give Saban credit for knowing “rat poison” when he sees or hears it … Peter Burns is in the business to create controversy and pressure whenever and however he can … his job depends on it … he could give a “rats a . .” about Nick, Kirby or anyone else!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Come on, it is not the time to talk about career achievements. Just beat Tech and then move on to the next opponent.

• Options
    80Grad195580Grad1955 Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore

And what's that coming down the track? The #1 recruiting class in the nation. Go Dawgs...

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is the best anti-rat poison CFB has ever seen. Rat poison is only poisonous if the players eat it. Kirby and his players won't let that happen.

As far as someone predicting that Kirby will win more national champions than Saban goes, why wouldn't a knowledgeable analyst like Peter Burns think it's true.

Kirby started off as a better coach than Saban did. Kirby has won multiple NC decades quicker than Saban did.

Kirby's career trajectory is on a much steeper path than how Saban's started.

I for one refuse to let superstition get in my way. This is THE golden age of UGA football., and I plan on celebrating every minute of it!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see nothing wrong with referring to the flattering comments about the Dawgs -- whether sincere or not -- as "rat poison." Sure, Saban came up with the term, but it's not off limits to others. And it's simply a way to say, "hey guys, while all these good things being said about you may be true, just be careful. Don't let it give you the big head."

Remember, as good as UGA is and has been, they now have to be perfect EVERY game. Maybe the team feels the pressure, maybe it doesn't. But they are being judged against themselves right now and right now, that standard is perfection. I think we're all enjoying the heck out of where UGA football is right now and look forward to its continued success. But I think most of us also realize just how difficult it is to stay there because ANYTHING can happen at any time -- just ask Florida State. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SequoiaDawgSequoiaDawg Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

zzzzzz...more filler content.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

My objection to the phrase has nothing to do with the fact that Saban coined it. A couple responses seemed to be under that impression. I was just acknowledging that he said it first so people didn't think I was blaming Georgia fans for coming up with it.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't like the phrase simply because I think it's entirely overused and, frankly, a little dumb. I understand the general sentiment when people say "rat poison," but I don't really see how it's anything that needs to be said. We're not players, or coaches. We're fans. It doesn't matter how drunk we get on the Dawgs' success, as far as its continuity its concerned. If it hasn't affected the team by now, there's no reason to think it's going to.

As I was saying in my first comment, heavy praise for a team as good we want the Dawgs to (continue to) be is unavoidable. Need I point out how annoyed we get when they're doubted or their achievements downplayed? But then when the proper level of respect is shown, we say rat poison? I just don't really see the sense in fighting the inevitable, especially considering that we're not even the ones taking the field. I think it makes a lot more sense to just embrace the public adulation for this team whenever it's given. After all, if we're being honest, it's what we want. And to your point, DallasDawg, even if the program does reach its full dynastic potential, it won't last forever.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...."You never count your money...till the dealin's done. "_____Kenny "The Gambler" Rogers

Other teams have to worry about "knowing when to walk away...and knowin' when to run". Lol

Go Big Red Machine II.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It will be hard to actually accomplish multiple championships with the schedule the teams in the SEC will face starting next year. The powers that be in the SEC are bat crap crazy implementing a 10 game schedule with only 2 games out of conference. It will be nearly impossible for any team to remain healthy through that kind of a meat grinder schedue. Put that together with a 12 team playoff and it will be a gargantuan task for any SEC team to compete for a national championship. It looks like the SEC leadership doesn't want the SEC to compete for the championship after this year.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

'

Rat poison is Saban's creation. Nothing to the DAWGS! Saban won his first natty at 55. How old is Kirby? Saban's been coaching forever. Kirby is just getting started. Injuries may eventually cost the DAWGS a game but so far with multiple key guys being out it hasn't happened. I hope we don't need to play 19, 84,69 much this week. We need them for the next three. GO GAWGS!!!!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only 3 teams can beat us if we play poorly and Alabama is one of those. The other 2 might be waiting for us in the playoffs after we win.

I think we beat Alabama by a lot. I know that has never happened in most of our lifetimes but prepare yourself.

We are an NFL Team.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everybody calm down... it was sarcasm on my part so don't be so soft. I understand it's the media doing their job to create discussions (good or bad). Obviously, I'm very happy and excited how things are going with UGA. I think Kirby has definitely evolved and is staying ahead of the curve in key areas versus other coaches which makes him who he is and an elite coach. I mean who would have thought that Kirby could maintain a level of success with NIL and the transfer portal? I sure didn't! He gave everybody the answer to it though, it's all about culture. You definitely have to have the players, but culture is what develops growth and consistency.

Happy Thanksgiving DAWG Fans!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were 8 teams (now 7 w/FSU losing their QB) that can beat UGA, not only if UGA plays poorly, but if UGA doesn't bring its A game. Most of those 7 teams can beat UGA should the UGA defense not play at its highest level.