Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things from Kirby Smart, Georgia parting shots from 31-23 win over Georgia Tech

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
image3 things from Kirby Smart, Georgia parting shots from 31-23 win over Georgia Tech

Kirby Smart didn’t need to sugarcoat anything on Saturday night after his short-handed Georgia football program got past a rapidly improving Georgia Tech program in Atlanta.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Those refs were absolutely brutal for both sides but definitely killed that drive that Beck threw the pick

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Refs do a good job? When has that ever happened? The tv crew said it was an acc crew, not sec. How did that happen? I wouldn’t have so many issues with the refs if they were consistently bad on both sides. Too many holding calls not called on tech. Van Pran was NOT down the field by the way.

I saw Beck giving the “call me” sign at one point? Did the nerds get his phone number and blow it up like Tenn did Bennett last year? I didn’t hear anything on the broadcast about it.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm. I saw a ridiculous facemask call that put tech in field goal range, a phantom holding call that took away a first and goal for Georgia, and a completely fabricated ineligible downfield call that took a Georgia touchdown off the board (and quite a bit more but I won't belabor the point). How exactly was the officiating brutal for tech?

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 221 ✭✭✭ Junior

The officiating was horrible. Should have been 38-16. If not 45.

the head ref shouldn’t have a job.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are you blaming the ref's for the UGA LB's consistently making tackles 10 yards down field? Or the GT QB running untouched up the middle?

• Options
    edited November 2023

No I’m blaming them for taking away one if not two touchdowns for Georgia

one of which tech scored on immediately after.

UGAs poor showing does not mean the officiating wasn’t equally bad

that’s a stup!d take.

• Options

What I did notice is that UGA looked tired

can’t wait until these kids are expected to play two additional games beginning next season. How many injuries will be directly attributed to additional games the money men expect 19 year olds to play.

unless it’s no nix who has to be 30 already.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok I had to come back to this, it's still bugging me. They called Van Pran as ineligible downfield. An experienced center. On a designed passing play. Not only was the call not even close to being correct factually, it didn't even make any sense.

• Options

Sure it makes sense. ACC refs doing everything they can to keep tech in it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My brother was a Florida ref and he would have balked at every call..just about. Ridiculous. Bad calls can cost you the game. Nearly did. Tech had no problem....lolol. UGA won the game in spite of the refs swift to judgement blunders. However, to me, it was apparent Ladd, Brock and other starters were not on the field. Evident. Plus, Tech has a pretty good squad. I think they have seen the last of their 6 loss seasons.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 191 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not being critical but Tech speed may have been under estimated or we were out of place a lot. Last note. Not he the best game for Beck adequate enough to win but when you are running for a critical first down take the hit and get the first down rather than sliding three yards short.

• Options

Hard for a QB to have a great game with a key blocker out and all three of his primary targets.

hoping they’re all better next week.

We’re going to need them

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also think they weren't focused. Too many missed outside runs. And a couple of the plays by beck, it's like he wasn't paying attention. On the RPOs, he would immediately hand off and tech had 2-3 guys in the backfield already. Yeah we were running the ball well, but some of those he could've pulled the ball. The Dawkins extra shove at the end was a little extra. This officiating crew would be run out of any SEC game. You know Kirby really doesn't believe that "they do a good job" nonsense.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here’s my three takeaways from last night.

1. We.
    2. Weren’t.
    3. Ready.

Time to draw a line under Tech week.

Get focused Dawgs!!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought our Dawgs did an amazing job overall.

Realizing that GT has a poor run defense, Kirby and staff decided to rest injured McConkey and Rara and to have Bowers suit up for playing only if needed.

This was great practice for the Georgia run game, and the run game delivered!

Beck had a challenging night without several of his goto targets, and he forced the ball into coverage several times, but his deep balls were better than usual. Game to game stats don’t mean as much as character and doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Beck did that—as he has most of this season.

The ineligle receiver down field call that brought back the gaming-icing TD was kinda BS, but the Dawgs as a group repeatedly showed the ability to move on from mistakes and bad breaks.

These Dawgs seem to have ice in their veins—they don’t allow adversity or mistakes to affect their performance on the next play. Its kinda like having an entire team of Stetson Bennetts! 😬

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GT 12TH MAN = ACC Referee Crew

Absolute Horse Puckey. "The calls went against us at inopportune times."

An understatement of large proportions. That crew was so biased and bad I don't know what to say. It was almost like the GT 12th Man.

They called back 2 tds and never called holding on the Tech OL who were holding all darn game.