Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Everything Kirby Smart said as Georgia football makes final plans for Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageEverything Kirby Smart said as Georgia football makes final plans for Alabama

ATHENS — Georgia football understands the challenge it has on Saturday when it takes on the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2023

Was hoping to hear better news about our 4 starters on offense and 1 on defense playing on Saturday. Based on Kirby's comments a few hours ago, the news is concerning and disappointing to say the least.

Going to be a battle Sat late afternoon and early evening and not having 5 starters playing for a SEC title... well just makes winning that much harder.

Go Dawgs

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Okay, I'll say it. Bama does not have the usual number of first rounders in the starting lineup up and down the roster like they have in times past and certainly not at QB this year. That's the main reason they are 17-1 in Atlanta and not their reputation or some mystical power of Coach Saban that always shows up in Atlanta. Yes, they have very good players and Milroe has a chance to develop into a NFL QB but he's not that right now. Yes, I believe we have an advantage on Offense and if we do not turn the ball over more than one time, we will win. By the way, Belichick's "Patriot" way was a thing too when he had Tom Brady. Since Brady left, not so much. When you have superior players, you usually win. This time and in 2021, we had superior players and we should win. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of the starters out, if Bowers and McConkey can't go then I give the edge to Bama. These are the offensive difference makers, they can get open, and Beck definitely looks more comfortable and confident with those guys in the lineup. He's also less likely to force throws that could turn into interceptions. I think someone said Jack-Saint only got (1) target against Tech which seems surprising. I feel sure Bobo is working other guys into the mix to try and spread the ball around to as many talented guys as possible. I'd love to be able to get Milton and Edwards churning out some decent yards to take some of the pressure off Beck. But I'm just not sure how successful we will be running the ball. Defense will have to step it up and get in Milroe's face. He can't have all day to throw or find a crease to take off for a big gain. The most important things: CONTAIN THE EDGE and bend-but-not-break Red Zone defense.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby may be playing a little possum with the injury update. I believe that everyone will play because they have a month to rest for the playoffs.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

I think Brock and Tate play for sure, and play for extended periods. McConkey probably plays, but not sure for how long or how effective he'll be. May be primarily used as a decoy. Not sure what to think about Thomas. I didn't think his injury was that serious, but apparently it is. I'd say he's the least likely of the four to see the field. Not a great scenario, but great teams find a way to overcome such things.

I'm really most impressed by the last item in the piece, though, where Smart said Van Pran's practice habits this week have been the "stuff of legend." The idea that a coach would be that ecstatic over a player's practice habits really says something about that player, in my opinion. That makes me want to see that video myself. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Though I’d Much, Very Much prefer to win, regardless of what happens Sat. night I’m very proud of this Dawgs team. That includes the coaches. This has been an exceedingly tough run for this program considering all the various factors. I sure Hope they can seal the victory. I Believe they can.

I know they have to take one game at a time and Nothing is given. But I Believe if they can beat Bama they will go on to win the Playoff game and then the Ntl. Title with the proviso that there are no more injuries. But regardless I’m So proud of these Dawgs. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t know how much stock we can put into weighing Auburn’s game vs. the Tide. But they ran for something like 265 yds. By Committee vs Bama. But the Auburn QB only threw for like 95 yds.

I would think Milton, Edwards, Bell and possibly R. Robinson ought to be comparable. And surely Beck can do better than 95 yds. !! Conversely Milroe & Burton essentially ARE the Bama Offense !!

Milroe accounted for a huge chunk of Bama’s rushing ydg. And it was Allot !! Plus he found Burton through the air Allot !! So and If our Defense is not very effective vs Bama ( which I sure Hope they are though) it’s gonna be up to Beck to out pass Milroe. I think Beck can do that. I look for a War in Mercedes Benz but I Believe our Dawgs will emerge triumphant. No injuries Please !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Thomas77Thomas77 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

To me, ‘containing the edge’ is getting Immediately into backfield (behind potential blockers), turning the play inside or outside to change the offense play design. Disrupt and cause an instant of confusion for runners or passers by LBs and DEs who are on the same page. Can be risky, but great things happen for the defense with penetration and unpredictability. Can also turn into some key holding calls.