Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following SEC championship, College Football Playoff decision

2»

Comments

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

First, Bama didn't beat us; we beat ourselves, by just a few mistakes mostly mentioned all over the place - fumble, penalty, a busted coverage, and one i'll cover more later - specific defensive coaching. Second, Bama had to play, easily, their best game of the year while our game was mediocre. (sound familiar, osu last year). Third, as someone alluded to below about Bama's pass defense. They started the game with zone on the back and we tore them up. I mentioned to my sons (who i'm always texting during games) if they stick with zone, we'll tear them up; they didn't and we didn't. Finally, from a frustration point of view, i got to reminiscing about Kirby's tenure and wondered "how many of the 15 losses came from just a couple simple mistakes, be they by player, coach, or ref that altered the course (not always result directly) of the game." Player - a dropped pass on the first offensive play in SECCG vs LSU or a fumble on the ten yard line allowing a short field for the opponent. Coach - not putting Lorenzo Carter in deep coverage on a Hail Mary from Tenn or not knowing that Milroe was gonna run every play on Bama's game killing drive. (again i texted that to my sons; not gonna risk turnover). I would have loved getting a stop and watching Carson take us down the field to a potential game winning score. Ref - calling offside on a blocked punt or not reviewing a fourth down catch. I'm not saying these types of mistakes cost us a game, but they shouldn't occur, and the course of the games would have been different. Sometimes the opponent (team or player) is just better, but that wasn't the case Saturday.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

SEC and Josh Brooks (UGAA) are losers for pulling the Oklahoma game AND then replacing it with such a lame replacement - to go along with the many other lame games we had on the schedule this year. Required us to be perfect this year through the SEC championship. The lame games won't matter as much in a 12 game playoff, and, the 12 game playoff should allow scheduling better opponents because you can weather 2 (maybe 3) loses and still make the 12 game playoff.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I respect Bobo, but I’m on the fence about him as OC. My 85-year-old mother, who has been a Dawg fan since before I was born, asked me on Saturday, “Why are they still trying to run between the tackles?”. I replied, “You, me, and everyone else is wondering the same thing”. She replied, “Well, Coach Kirby should know better than that by now, he better tighten up”. Got to love it folks!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

The strength of the offense all year was a maturing QB in Carson Beck. I don't understand why they took the ball out of his hands during the game. Why we did not throw the ball more? I just feel UGA did not play its best ball on Saturday and that is a a shame because I think UGA is better than all 4 playing for the title.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank You So Much My Brother !! Please see my reply on the other thread where you had reposted your comment. God Bless You !! Wish You and Family a Very Merry Christmas !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

@reddawg1 I don't think @Eastmandawg was talking about you there, I think he meant Conor, who wrote the piece? I mean, I'm speaking for him, but I don't think that was directed at you, based on what he said in it. And I do think what you wrote is very true. It made a difference. Many folks have made good points here, but I do want to point out one thing with regard to the big miss by the replay officials. It was an egregiously missed call. No doubt about that, But, and this is a noteworthy "but," the play BEFORE that Alabama faced a 3rd and 21 and we allowed them to complete a pass for 17 yards. That, in turn, allowed Saban to even think about going for it on fourth down. If we break up that pass, or even keep the completion to say, 8-10 yards, Bama is very likely punting. Again, this does not excuse or absolve the referees for blowing the fourth down call. It's just to show that had UGA done a better job of playing defense, that call would have never been an issue.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

After the first drive, two major things happened. One, Mims got hurt. Two, Alabama started playing high cover so Bowers and the other WR's wouldn't beat them. When a defense plays high cover, the offensive adjustment is to run the ball. The problem was Alabama's front 4 whipped our OL and stopped the run. When our offense can't run, you lose the play action passing game which is our bread and butter. Bobo didn't get out coached our OL got beat in 1:1 match ups. Credit Alabama.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

The Committee had to pick 4 teams. There were 6 or so teams that could have been considered. But they had 4 spots this year. Bama proved that it was one of the top teams by the way it played especially at the end of the season. They did what they had to do to win albeit with providence. We (Dawgs) cannot complain, as we had shown inconsistency throughout the season (granted our best two games being against the Vols and Rebels) but we had an **** win at Tech and then fizzled in Atlanta. Our strength of schedule was also suspect. The folks that were hard done by was FSU. Their defence won the ACC championship for them. But clearly their offence is struggling without their best QB. Texas performed well at the end, 12-1 record for anyone no small feat. Apparently the "Committee" thought that FSU's performance against the top teams without their starting QB would be affected so much so that it was better to select a team that did not have that severe loss at that critical position. It is one thing to be down a player in another position, however with your starting QB out, that changes the whole offensive dynamic. You still have to hate it for FSU as they showed great courage and ability in winning the ACC championship. The Georgia - FSU game should be interesting. If Alabama's defence was able to stymie us like they did, imagine what FSU's might do. But may the Dawgs begin a new series and chapter and make it past 29 this time. Even though we lost, the Dawgs 12-1 record speaks for itself. This was another "elite" team.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@DallasDawg

There was also the missed faced mask call by the refs. But whose counting?

• Options

Biggest loser was JERrmaine BUrton caught on camera ranting at the UGA crowd yelling F.U. over and over again. Making momma proud!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    LamardleeLamardlee Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I do hate to be a whiner, but man, I am tired of the officiating every time we play Alabama. Has Alabama ever had a game where 90% of the bad calls went against them? By my count on Saturday, Bama committed two blatant pass interferences, one blatant facemask, completed a 4th down incompletion, and were the beneficiaries of what I consider to be a very iffy horse collar penalty called against us. Yes, we had opportunities to overcome it and made our own mistakes with the false start and the fumble primarily. However, when the bad calls and non calls by the officials never balances out over the years, it really makes me wonder if the refs aren't getting a little extra in their paycheck from either Saban or bama boosters. I just don't think that it can be bad luck or coincidence every time we play them. If we had been able to play bama with neutral refs over Kirby's tenure, we would already have 3 National Championships and a shot this year at a 4th. I think that it is time for the NCAA to do some investigating. Buying refs would be a much bigger deal than illegally stealing signs. There, I said it since no one else would.

In closing, I hope that Michigan beats bama in the playoff game on an incomplete pass called a touchdown on the last play of the game after the Michigan receiver shoves a bama cornerback to the ground to get open, right in front of a ref who conveniently leaves the penalty flag in his pocket, and that there is not conclusive evidence to overturn it. Then, two years later, Michigan's win in the semifinal and the Championship game are vacated by the NCAA because of their sign stealing scandal. Ultimately, no one wins the National Championship during the last year of the 4 team playoff.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bravo !! Bravo !! Well Said !! Very Well Said !! On that Bogus horse collar Gene Santorie a retired Chief Review Official said it was Very Ify and probably shouldn’t have been called !!

I would Never complain about Injuries alone and on their own merit. But when you Couple injuries with the Unfair and Very Biased officiating it was just to much for our Dawgs to over come. Bama had only One Key player injured coming into the game. And to their credit they were a very improved team. They shouldn’t have got help from the Refs, but they Did !!

And as you did a great job of stating this has happened over and over playing Bama. So one can’t help but wonder is there $$$ involved ?? It’s a natural question because just how far does “ coincidence” stretch ??

We were cheated plain and simple. And FSU was cheated by the Committee even more so in my view. Undefeated. Won their Conference Title by 10 points yet They get kicked out and #8 Bama is promoted to a Playoff spot. It’s just Wrong on every level. But I believe Allot of $$$ swapped hands to make Absolutely Sure Bama would be in there.

• Options
    riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Fav comment: this is "Invitational" not Playoff. Saw it since beginning when "experts" pushing PAC12 as most exciting conference. Does anyone believe their QBs would have same stats if playing SEC defenses all year?? Reluctantly experts forced to keep GA #1 most of year & FSU #4. Last narrative was "what if bama beats GA?" ad nauseum using power of suggestion or leaking their plan or simply needing chaos to perpetrate their plan (SEC refs?) to justify keepin FSU out - im sur players & fans got sick of hearing this constantly. My theory "UGA fatigue w/ 3 yr dominance and desire to have 4 new teams n last 4-team playoff, i mean invitational". They couldnt keep GA out w/o keeping FSU out and visa-versa, as if to say "see GA, we're screwing FSU too", "see FSU, we're screwin GA too". As a 68 yo Dawg Momma, how dare these full grown adults abuse mentally/emotionally these student athletes at GA & FSU. LASTLY, even tho i like Milroe, bc of Jermaine Burton's classless f.u. gesture to GA fans, ill b rooting for the other SEC team TEXAS!!!

Dawg Momma

• Options
    riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

This is how #1 was dropped to #6 and #8 bumped #4 out.

• Options

@riddleville

I think you are spot on with your comments!

Also, playing into the ruse was that if they put BAMA in, (which they were always going to do if they beat us) then how do they justify leaving Texas out who beat Bama? So, IMHO, to save face, and not have to listen to the moaning and ridicule, they put Texas in and dropped FSU and UGA.

Of course they could have argued that UGA was #1 for virtually all season and a 3 point loss in a SECC game to a better BAMA team that played Texas on September 9, with a new QB shouldn't drop UGA all the way out of the picture. But that wasn't what they wanted. Texas lost to Oklahoma and we lost to the team you are putting into the playoffs. Which is the better loss? Duh! But obviously the Committee got the matchups they wanted, and they don't have to try to reason anything out and give in depth answers.

We all know how hard it is to beat a good team twice and it would have been hard for BAMA to beat us again with our receivers given what amounts to almost a month to heal up. Michigan wouldn't have beaten us and Washington either, it would have been a UGA-BAMA repeat and us taking a 3rd straight NC.

Seems like they would have wanted to give us the chance, but the end result wil be more parity like the NFL and more people can root for their team. I suppose UGA and BAMA one more time was just too much for them.