Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff and what comes next for Georgia football quarterback room in 2024

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck, Brock Vandagriff and what comes next for Georgia football quarterback room in 2024

ATHENS — Carson Beck acknowledged how special the Georgia football program was in the moments following a 27-24 loss to Alabama.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He could use another year - that's no lie.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can not believe that Vandagriff entered the TP knowing that Beck would not come back. No one would ever give up being the stater on the Best Power 5 team over the past two years. Plus Beck would be in competition with a Heisman winner, three finalist, and a handful of QB's with similar upsides.....so the prospect of going from #1 to QB on a NFL practice squad is not what I have come to know about Beck's competitive spirit. Beck needs one more year to cement his resume at the top of QB consideration.....SO, MAKE THE DECLARATION CARSON and put an end to all this speculation!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Beck has committed to another year, just not announced it publicly. This is why Vandagriff has committed to the portal. I don't think/hope he would leave otherwise.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your logic is valid. However in this NIL LANDSCAPE it’s very possible that a team has already negotiated with BVG and he’ll have a chance to start elsewhere

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really hate to see BVG enter the portal but he can always pull out if it does become evident that Beck is going to enter the draft. Like the article but I don’t see a comparison to Burrows other than their years prior to starting, etc. I see him more of a Stafford type given he doesn’t have, or hasn’t exhibited it yet, the mobility of a Burrows. He is very talented and would benefit from another year but to his credit, he has spent 2 years running against the #1 defense in practices and while that isn’t true game experience, it is much more than just 12-13 starts.

BVG will have his choice of where to land and I would put Kentucky up there with Cohen as their OC. I also think Oregon, Bama, Carolina (both North and South), and FSU are very strong options. I have always like BVG and feel he will be very successful wherever he lands but he definitely wants to go to start. Also heard his girlfriend is heading to Bama for grad school, but not sure that is valid.

• Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree. Thought that as well when I saw the announcement that he entered the portal.

• Options
    DH82DH82 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

I believe Beck would benefit from another year with the Dawgs. It looks a lot like Fromm’s situation. He certainly left too soon.

• Options
    DH82DH82 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

He should come back. Don’t be a Jake Fromm.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

" Georgia is likely to lose some or all of Kendall Milton, Daijun Edwards, Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, Ladd McConkey, Brock Bowers, Sedrick Van Pran, Tate Ratledge, Amarius Mims and Xavier Truss on the offensive side of the ball. There could also be some surprise draft or transfer decisions in the coming weeks. "

That's a LOT of experienced firepower to replace on offense. Wow. Really hoping Beck stays.

Bobo will have his hands full next season to rebuild and keep the Dawgs competitive against a very tough schedule.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck Will be back. Reason why BVG hit the TP. It’s pretty obvious imho. With Gunner as a backup and two high quality freshmen, one of which is #1 QB out of HS ( I’m assuming Raiola still holds #1 ??) Dawgs will be in pretty good shape.

Oh and the freshmen are Both early enrollees that will participate in Bowl practices. Will be in Spring practices and G Day. So those four QBs give the Dawgs decent depth. It’s all the other positions I’m concerned about. Gosh we’re losing Allot of great players !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1 @BigDawg61 and Anyone else that cares to chime in. I’m Not saying it’s a Good idea. That’s why I asked the question. 😀

Just curious on your opinion ( and anyone else that cares) what would you think about using Gunner more than just garbage time ?? Have some designed plays for him like UF did when they first got Tebow. Would make rival Ds have to practice for Two QBs. 

Good idea ?? Or just taking away snaps from Beck ?? P.S. On this line of thought people are concerned about a QB coming into the game cold. But if it’s a part of regular practices wouldn’t that greatly diminish the “cold” syndrome ?? And Both Beck and Gunner are by now Very familiar with the playbook. The ole ball bag Spurrier used a two QB system to great achievement much as I hate to credit him for Anything. Thoughts ??

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If BVG has to go, I'd really hope he'd go to the ACC or another non-SEC conference. I really like the guy (esp. his character) and would hate to have to root against him.

I also wonder if there's a chance Beck has NOT made a decision, and BVG and co. (including his father) are using the TP to force the issue.

Regardless of outcome, I'm a big fan of all three QBs, and wish all of them great careers, UGA or otherwise

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg ,

I think it is a great idea to give Gunner some snaps similar to what Richt did with Greene and Shockley. Maybe give Gunner one series per half. It certainly would be out of the norm, but it could work as it did with Greene and Shockley. With how vital QB play is in college and pro, it escapes me why the backup does not get enough practice reps to where if the starter gets injured, the team still has a chance. Why give the starter 95% of the reps and then if he gets injured, you have no shot at winning in most cases? (see San Fran against the Eagles last year) But I digress from your original question. I am convinced that Shockley would not have played as well as he did as a first-time starter without those game reps. And I hate to open this can of worms, but I think Fields never would have left if Coach Smart would have given him a series or two per half.

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

One of my few criticisims of Kirby is his non-development of Qbacks. He only seems to let the backups play in garbage time and not always then. Richt was better at Qback development in my opinion. But, then he was a former Qback

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

If Beck returns, which looks likely, the '24 UGA O will look a lot like the UGA '23 O. Multiple players got extensive PT on the OL and at WR. OL starters (71, 56, 55, 53, 57) should be pretty solid. As good or better than most teams. Depth will need to be developed. There will be a drop off from BB's but TE will still be a talented room. WR will be thin unless young players step up or a TP WR is added. But 5, 6 and 86 have all proven they can play. RB is 1 position where a freshman can make consistent spot contributions. All 3 freshman could be contributors Frazier and Bowens at RB and Phillips in the slot.

From an ongoing perspective, the new SEC schedule, presents some real challenges. Especially to UGA. CKS has always played a lot of young players and relied on young players in the 2 deep. Playing a tougher schedule will expose the deficiencies of younger players, in the development cycle, more often. UGA also has more 3 yr players leaving the program for the NFL than most team. This perpetuates the young player need cycle. Philosophical program changes at UGA may be in order. (recruiting more developmental players expected to stay 4-5 yrs).

Philosophical change to the practice routine is also warranted. UGA will be forced to "dial down" some of the practice hitting. It worked at AL and UGA when there were 4* and 5* players 4 and 5 deep. Top players are being spread around by NIL. Makes no sense to make the SECCG if you can't field your best players or they are impaired.

There are many QB's in the TP. Any would love to step into a starting spot at UGA should Beck decide to go NFL. CKS always seems to be prepared. My guess is he knows what Beck is doing.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree, they need to dial down the practices some. Too many injuries this year. How many running backs were lost of the last couple years.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This will sound like I'm a Bobo hater (because everyone is sensitive these days) but I think he did a really good job. GReat? THat's arguable IMO. Can we name anything from the BAMa game where anyone watching went ****! THat was a heck of a call?

Outside of the 1st series where it looked as if we were just going to go all Todd Monken on them, what plays looked wide open? What mixture of calls looked great? THe 2nd drive was 3 passes( 2 of which I believe were behind the line of scrimmage). 3 and out. THe next series was 3 straight runs. 3 and out! WHat OC couldn't call 3 straight runs? When coverage was tight on our receivers, did he scheme anyone open?

We scored the same amount of points against them as freaking Auburn did! Are you kidding me? who had virtually no passing attack. -LOL!

If we didn't have a lot more than Auburn to work with on offense then, I'll eat your hat.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

@UGADad20...yes, we're going to be thin in some areas and have to fill gaps with getting some players out of the portal most likely. Kirby is pretty selective on who he brings aboard, but if Beck stays then I'd think the WRs in the portal would love to have a QB like Beck back there instead of some freshman or backup with little to no experience. Beck should help us getting guys from the portal.

I doubt Smart is going to change much with his practice philosophy. We've still got the #1 recruiting class for 2024 and close to that for 2025. We'll get the players we need between there and the portal. He's always building depth. These next 14-15 practices for the Orange Bowl will be important for the less experienced guys to get more practices in which will definitely benefit them and us come Spring.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I am Gunner, I portal too. Just sayin’. That would not make him disloyal. He and Vandagriff could both land starting/QB1 positions at top tier Power 5 schools for 2024.