Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart should be recognized as Coach of the Year, why Georgia football run not over

SystemSystem Posts: 10,449 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart should be recognized as Coach of the Year, why Georgia football run not over

ATHENS — Georgia football had a magical 2023 run, and it’s not over yet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I actually loved this article. Been down a bit lately (reason should be obvious 😁), despite being aware of all the future opportunity for UGA. This article put a little spring back in my step with the points at the end. Thanks, MG!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hope we can get a couple of studs by way of the portal or the Junioer college route, or is it the same? Anywho, we need more beef up front and a couple of talented receivers to boot. HEck get a couple of OL also. It's the Christmas season!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I'm sorry, Beck was great this year, but he ain't worth $4 million. If he truly wants that, wish him well and let's move on. Would anyone, ANYONE have paid Jalen Milroe $4 million last year? Nope. And look where he took Bama. I say, give Beck a bottom line and if he don't like it, wish him well and bring Vandagriff back and we just roll with whatever. Now, if Brock Bowers wants $4 million to come back, let's talk. Also, I have no issue with Drinkwitz being Coach of the Year. Kirby's achievements are remarkable but quite frankly, I expected the Dawgs to 12-0 this year and reach the playoffs. But no one expected Missouri to do anything and it took a great coaching job with just above average talent to get them to where they are. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

Only Alabama has played in more bowl games than UGA although UGA has a better winning pctg in bowl games. The Orange bowl will be their 62nd appearance in a bowl game.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great article Mike... Really pissed off that Kirby and his incredible accomplishments are overlooked by the local and national media is just plain criminal and freaking wrong. Josh Brooks and President Jere Moorehead need to get their heads outta the sand and start massive Marketing campaigns for their head football coach and his program now and into the future. UGA has done a huge disservices to the university's and sports programs for decades by just being the nice guy in the room and not speaking up when needed and going out and promoting it's programs and athletes....

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't agree with @MikeGriffith about Kirby for national COY or Bowers for Heisman.

Kirby absolutely deserved COY last year: Perfect season. Convincing natty. Despite losing 15 players to the draft. And this year I'd name him as a finalist over about half the guys on the Eddie Robinson COY list.

But better cases can be made this year for Drinkwitz and Saban. Not sure about other conference, but I can see the argument for Sark and DeBoer. I also Lanning should have been a finalist.

I get what Mike's saying about Drink and Mizzou. If that's the case, though, Saban's bounceback from the season looking lost in September to the playoffs in December warrants the award.

Bowers is the best college player at his position ... probably, ever. But he missed too many games this year and played too many others hobbled. The committee got it abour right -- Marvin Harrison only goes to NY because there's no obvious fourth finalists. My fantasy ballot says: 1. Jayden Daniels, 2. Bo Nix. 3 Penix. 4. maybe Harrison.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

"Kirby's achievements are remarkable but quite frankly, I expected the Dawgs to 12-0 this year and reach the playoffs. But no one expected Missouri to do anything and it took a great coaching job with just above average talent to get them to where they are."

This argument is basically that Smart is too good to be considered as having done the best job. It seems all too easily forgotten, not just in the quoted comment but much more widely, that this year's team was tasked with filling the void left by a record amount of NFL talent getting drafted over the last two years. For added perspective, look at it this way: every time that Saban hasn't won a national title, he started that season with a more complete foundation than this Georgia team had. That's quite a few times that the GOAT has done less (or the same) with more.

This is not to knock what Drinkwitz has achieved at Missouri. It is impressive. But it is quite simply not on the same level that Smart is operating at.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"If that's the case, though, Saban's bounceback from the season looking lost in September to the playoffs in December warrants the award."

That's an inordinate amount of credit to give someone just for cleaning up his own mess.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I give you kudos when you earn them, but this one is a complete swing and a miss in a few spots! Beck produced over 75% of UGA's offensive production with his arm while we ran the ball over 50% of the plays! This is exactly what the stats from the season show: UGA is a great passing team in '23. We just failed to pass it enough, say 60/40 pass/run. Even with all the injuries we moved the chains in the 4th qtr when we put the pedal to the metal, passed aggressively, and upped the tempo. We tried to pound the rock too much, running 31 times for just 78 yards. All season, we established the pass and that set up the run game.

Beck completed 72% of his passes against a very good defense. He had over 50 yards more than Milroe, who completed just 56% of his passes. Milroe was missing open receivers all afternoon. If Bryce Young had been their QB, they might have hung 40 on our D. Beck's passing wasn't perfect, but he was far better than Milroe and Beck is not the reason we lost. We failed to throw it enough. The fumble, assuming Beck was responsible, was the worst thing he did on the day.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Smart is COY in my view. The best part is he’s young and just getting started. The future is so bright we gotta wear shades!

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

As usual Mike, you're right on the money.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We were never going to beat BAMA running the ball. But dang it if we didn't try.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

So right you are. We will never win a NC with a run bigot at OC. We need another "air raid" OC.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Got to give it to Harbaugh, Griff. Boo has to keep up the appearance of propriety. Can't have a tainted #1, can we?

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart's a fantastic coach, but choking in the SEC championship with poor offensive game scheming takes him out of the competition for coach of the year honors

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m gonna keep watching Dawgs football and reading about all things Dawgs. Been a devout fan for far to long to abandon ship. But This year proved to me and I think Allot of other people, what me and they had suspected for quite a while. And that there is now Very Little that is Fair and Unbiased about CFB.

It’s Not about what you do or accomplish, it’s All about $$$ and WHO you are. Like so many things in our world corruption has slowly ( or maybe not so slowly) seeped into the world of CFB. Sadly it’s a sinking ship with little probability of saving it.

Like I said I’ll keep watching and reading all things Dawgs. And I believe as a whole Dawgs fans are THE Greatest fan base on the globe. I’m very blessed to be a part of Dawg Nation. I’ve made some Great Cyber friends here. But the integrity of the game has suffered some huge blows of late that I’m not sure it’ll ever Fully recover from.

Lastly and I don’t like even talking about it anymore, in my humble opinion the Dawgs Defense cost them the game as much if not More than the Offense.

And also in my humble opinion Beck is a pretty good QB on the cusp of being great. But things Will probably tougher on him this coming year, losing Allot of firepower. So he might not be able to turn the corner from very good to great.

Kirby though I know he doesn’t like to, is gonna Have to be more aggressive using the TP this year. Dawgs are gonna need More experienced guys right out the gate. There is one Good thing that was born out of something Bad. Because of injuries Allot of younger guys got substantial playing time out of pure necessity. That Should help some in the 2024 campaign. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PLEASE Forgive my off topic but this is a message from deep within my heart. I just want to say Thank You to All of you here. I’ve had some very rough times in my life this year as I’m Sure Yall have.

Due to health issues Dawgs football is my prime source of interest and entertainment. Many times when I was down and out this year and not just about Dawgs football. Many of you reached out to me with kindness, compassion, and a caring heart. I’ll never be able to Thank Yall enough for that.

Though we are connected by the Internet and our bonds are Cyber in nature. I view us as a Huge Family.

I also want to offer my Sincere from the heart apologies to some of you. There are some of you that I allowed physical and mental pain to get the best of me and I snapped you, I said some rude and **** things. I’m Sorry, and I apologize.

We ALL have problems. If your alive and live on this planet You Have some kind of daily problems to deal with. I want to extend from my heart to ANY of you if you Ever need prayer or someone to just talk to or vent to, Please feel free to get in touch with me. I’d be Honored to help.

So in closing Win or Lose we as Dawgs fans are a part of The Greatest fan base on planet earth !! Go Dawgs !!

From Me and my family to You and yours, we Wish You All a Very Merry Christmas !! May God Bless & Protect You All.

Jesus Christ the Reason for the Season