Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: UGA deserves better explanation from SEC regarding controversial call

SystemSystem Posts: 10,527 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: UGA deserves better explanation from SEC regarding controversial call

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for fans of the national champion Georgia Bulldogs. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest to return the Bulldogs to the top of the college football world. On episode No. 2090 (Dec. 6, 2023) of the podcast, Georgia fans can hear a discussion about what the SEC told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the controversial play from near the end of the first half of Saturday’s SEC championship in which Isaiah Bond was ruled to have made a catch which wasn’t reviewed by replay officials despite evidence that the incorrect call was made on the field.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep...that's what they were being paid to do.

But, their choices throughout the top 20 indicate they were paying more attention to the hype than the field.

What happens if Texas, Bama, Washington or Michigan lose their QB before the 1st game of the CFP. Injuries happen...contact, non-contact...gettin' in the bathtub.

Are they saying that your invitation to the playoffs hinges on your roster health?......

If that's the case.....UGA would be unbeatable with a healthy roster. Which, they would've had, by the 1st CFP Game. Why didn't the "committee" project THAT, since they obviously projected that FSU didn't have the talent to fix their QB situation in a whole month.

It's unjust and un-American....that's why people of every allegiance and fanbase are outraged at the audacity. To openly pander to the public...without transparency and truthful explanation, is becoming cliche'. And, unacceptable.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is no way that play was reviewed. This game was too important for it not to have been. Saban seems to get the "benefit of the doubt" in crucial situations.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Missed calls against Bama..It's a common occurrence when the DAWGS play them. As much as I despise Joke harbaugh, AND Michigan, I hope Michigan spoils the committee's party by beating bama. And the same happens to Texas against Washington..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

My favorite part is when people say that both sides had missed calls. Sure, Georgia gets away with an illegal shift on a second and three in the first quarter, whereas Alabama gets a blown offsides call on a punt block or a "catch" on a fourth and four. That don't equal, and the big calls go for the Tide. Remember, in the end Georgia has a younger coach and Saban is retirement age. Let them enjoy another year or two. There soon will be a low Tide.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

I have witnessed far too many controversial calls and non-calls benefit Alabama over the years. Especially in the Saban era. I know what I see. The Dawg Nation knows what it sees. We are not paranoid or sore losers. The fact that so many others have reached the same conclusion proves this is not just theory, but fact.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I mentioned in a post leading up to the game that if you believed in conspiracy, that Bama would get a call here or there that would influence the game and allow Saban to retire with one last NATTY.

Many readers on this site gave “down votes” believing our dawgs were going to walk all over Bama. In a fair fight we know the outcome.

WAS IT A FAIR FIGHT??

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m with you. My only beef is with that last bit, and it’s not really beef. We have this narrative around Satan (family name…) that he’s still got Kirby’s number, and he’s still really the one on top. These sorts of botches that have nothing to do with his coaching will just perpetuate that, and Kirby’s story (national narrative, not our version) becomes “he’s one of the greatest, but he was only ever able to take down his mentor once. It’s really Saban’s retirement that led to the Dawgs’ dominance over the Tide.” That’s probably a way out there thing to think, but I don’t think it’s too far of a reach to think that may be what’s in people’s mouths…

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I agree with some of the comments below but definitely not all. The call was unfortunate and seemingly unfair. Yes, its frustrating- especially against our nemesis. But, we had an entire 2nd half to change the eventual outcome and fell short. The Dawgs didn't lose this game because of a missed call at the end of the first half. We had a costly 5 yard penalty that caused Woodring to miss what would have been a made FG. We fumbled on the 11 yard line and Bama made a FG off of it. Those are 2 very costly mistakes in a game lost by 3 points. Bama never turned the ball over. We couldn't stop their running game even though we did better on defense in the 2nd half. We even outscored Bama in the 2nd half. But we couldn't do enough to win the game.

Bad calls are part of the game unfortunately. There were obvious bad calls in the Tech game and other games this season. But we can only control what we can control on the field. Officiating is not one of those things. I do think there needs to be more accountability with the officiating, and if someone can prove Bama bias with officiating then I'm ready to listen. I just don't think that's going to happen.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You have to beat BAMA and the refs! We'll see how it goes in the playoffs. I expect there will be more controversial plays going BAMA's way.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree 100% we didn’t get it done on the field. We have to control our destiny. The Saban thing is no myth though. The best way to deal with it is to stamp an L on his forehead on the field!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KnoxDawg3318KnoxDawg3318 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    KnoxDawg3318KnoxDawg3318 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Look, I love the Dawgs but we lost to Alabama. As Kirby said, they whipped us in the trenches; we couldn't run the ball effectively, we missed a FG;,we fumbled in our own red zone and Bama capitalized with a FG. We lost by a FG. They won. We lost. We all hate it. Having said that, I am disappointed with Brandon Adams whining about the "catch" Bama got near the end of the half. Brandon, I hate to say, is sounding a whole lot like Ryan Day after our game with OSU last season. BA has complained all of season about whiny Ryan Day (which he is). Brock Bowers had a very classy post about the game which he refused to make excuses. Brock is 25 yrs younger than BA. BA, don't sound like Ryan Day. I listen to your show everyday and I cringe every time you whine like Day. Please stop . Now, let's go beat FSU. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have lost a lot of respect for Greg Sankey....ultimately he is responsible for that BS excuse....it would have been so much more palatable/believable just to admit the truth.....the officials blew it and should have reviewed the catch but didn't. The Dawgs lost the game on three plays....the fumble on the ten, the 5 yard penalty/missed FG and the blown catch/call. The only alternative is to now win in the portal so that we have the power to go to Tuscaloosa in 24 and demolish and drain The Tide, then make sure we play in the SECC in 24 and if Bama comes back, kick they arse again!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This was a very tight game. The bogus “Catch” call was on a Fourth Down play that is Super Important. So had it been ruled a No Catch then Bama couldn’t have even got a FG. So that officiating put 7 points on the board for Bama.

Dawgs lost by only 3 points. So Regardless of the bad plays that the Dawgs made in the second half, the Math shows that if ALL things BUT that bad call had came to happen. Then the Dawgs would have Won the game by Four points. The final score would have been UGA 24 to Bama 20. So it Did and Does matter.

It’s Worse really than the Phantom Offsides in 2017. And like Brandon is trying to point out Why were there TWO Reviews of two Dawgs catches and No review of Bama catches ?? Saban is a great coach, he and his staff recruit really well, he doesn’t Need or Deserve help from officiating.

Also if the Committee Really wanted the Four Best Teams in the Playoffs then UGA should have been in over Bama. Because the Dawgs margin of victory over opponents In Particular common opponents was Significantly better than Bama. Even though Bama beat the Dawgs by only 3 points in One game with help from the officials.

Saban will Always and Forever as long as he’s HC will get the benefit of doubt on Anything and Everything controversial. It’s going to go Saban’s way. Period. That’s NOT excuses, that’s the History of Saban at Bama. Period.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Aside from officials missing the call, I can also blame Kirby and his staff because he should have called timeout and challenged. Officials are one thing but the coaches should have been in the game.