Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Sentell’s Intel: What I’ve learned so far about Dylan Raiola’s commitment to Georgia football

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I'm finding it hard to believe the level of panic and "sky could fall" sentiments expressed in this and related posts. Good thing the Georgia staff and players didn't respond that way these past years, or forget about the spectacular win streak and championships. UGA will be fine with or without Raiola, with or without Beck, with or without both. UGA has won SEC and National championships with lesser talent in general and QB in particular. Whoever is on the roster has been and will continue to practice against elite talent, be developed by great staff, be supported by the best culture, and will therefore be able to go toe-to-toe with anyone next year, and the year after that. Doesn't guarantee wins, but Georgia will have what it takes to compete at the highest possible level. Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF CB comes back for 24 then we have the main cog of the offense, if not, then we're starting new with a never before starter, with zilch real game experience. Not that it would be totally impossible to put together a championship drive with a newbie QB , we certainly did it with Fromm, however, it would be next to impossible to pull it off considering all the attrition with starters across the board. Now If BB, Mims,LM, Dajon Edwards, Ra-Ra stayed then it would be more doable.

Kirby's a great coach, but he can't pull a rabbit out of his hat when there's no rabbit in there.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not just 1 player. UGA has already lost a lot to graduation/NFL and the TP. There were already rumblings of other flips before the QB flip rumors. The JC DE that UGA targeted committed to FU today. And this is from a #6 rated team.

With UGA's '24 schedule and w/o an experienced QB, UGA could be looking at 5 losses. Possibly not a top 10 team. Solid QB play is that important. Weren't you the leader of the "SBIV's play is the reason we're winning all these games" cult? How soon you forget. Compared to the last 3 years that is disarray.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Which top recruits specifically came here to play with Raiola? I know he liked to text with guys a lot (one of the reasons this is so odd), but there was never any noticeable bump in the class once he came on. Furthermore, while it seemed like he was firmly in the fold, we lost Carr and the highly rated tight end who went to FSU (blanking on his name), and Tuggle has apparently been wavering for quite some time now. So I'm not so sure the class was ever built on a Raiola foundation to begin with.

Also, I'm curious what your idea of "bad vibes" would be, at a program like Georgia where by all accounts, community and culture are everything.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me remind you...Beck didn't start, before this year. Bennett didn't start before 2020 and wasn't "named" starter till 2022, after Daniels' departure...and 3 losses in 2 years [Bama x 2 & Fla]. Fromm didn't start in 2017, till Eason was injured.

That about covers the Kirby Smart administration...I think. We can quibble about where Daniels stood WRT being a "starter". But, the fact is...Bennett took the vast majority of snaps in '20 & '21 and is credited with the majority of starts and wins. If you want to...we can just agree that 2020 thru 2021 was Offense-by-committee with Bennett and Daniels at the helm.

In all the time Kirby has been at UGA...and, for ALL the talk and weight put on QB decisions, every year...he has only had 4 true "Starting quarterbacks" in that 7 year period. Eason [1.1 yr], Fromm [2.9 yrs], Bennett [3 yrs] and Beck [1 yr]. Not bad.

I hear Arch Manning is considering transfer. 'Member him? Lol

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think so too. It’s the difference between watching football as a backup for two years on a championship caliber team and getting serious playing time for an “also ran” caliber team. I seriously doubt his plans include playing his final year with Nebraska. I expect to see him in the TP after starting a year at Nebraska.

GO DAWGS!

I haven't put that much stock in a pro-style pocket passer, in years.

IMO....The game has moved away from that...and, I don't see it returning. Not with the current rule book...and recruiting infrastructure...not to mention sports media...all of whom encourage athleticism other than a strong arm and accurate aim in prospective QB's.

The NFL also has a say,, when it comes to "top tier QB's". What kind of QB's are THEY buying, these days...for the most money?. If you know what I mean.

What's funny is...back in the day...QB's like Beck, Raiola and Manning would have been considered "running quarterbacks".

I was pleasantly surprised by Beck's mobility and decision making, this year. I don't think he's ready for the next level, but, Levis and Richardson made it, so...what the hell do I know. Lol

I DO think, if Beck sticks it out 1 more year..."We will remember his name", right along side all the other Bulldog Greats. He could earn himself a Heisman and CFB HOF induction, one day. Eternal recognition is a helluvan incentive to come back, if you grew up worshipping "The Trophy".

As for Bennett....Mobility and accuracy were the main reasons I was all-in on Bennett. He fit the rest of the starting cast of players, much better than Daniels...IMO. Turns out, I was right on that one. And, that ain't always true. I was wrong a couple of times...I just can't remember when, dontcha know. Lol

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does he realize that Kyle McCord will also be in Lincoln this weekend for an official visit? If he’s looking for the starting job without any competition he may be in for a surprise!

GO DAWGS!

• Eric_CEric_C Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

What I've learned, c'ya Dylan, good luck, and the Dawgs will still be in great shape.

I agree.....If he goes to the 'Huskers...he transfers in a year....and, UGA may wind up with him anyway. Only, a year further along, in maturity.

I said the same thing about Manning last year. The Dawgs may still wind up with Him. Ya neva' know.

The fact is...right now....the Dawgs are set at QB as far as I'm concerned.

Unless and until....Beck declares for the draft AND Raiola pulls out his commitment to UGA. Then, it's back to the drawing board in the QB Room...not to mention, a basic game plan going into the Clemson game.

I'm afraid, if UGA goes into next year's schedule with Stockton as "starter" and Puglisi backing him up....it may be a little bit of what Chicken Little [@UGADad20] said. Lol.

It'll be tough to play any SEC schedule...much less UGA's '24 schedule with a 1st year QB. He would be cutting his teeth on Clemson. So...there's that.

I think UGA does need Beck and/or Stockton back next year for a credible & comfortable "Natty Run". They could conceivably wind up with 2 or 3 losses, with their schedule and a rookie QB.

The sky ain't falling, though. UGA...at the end of the day....is still UGA. And, Kirby is still Kirby. They will field a "quality team". I believe their incoming defense would afford em 3 or 4 games to get a good,, smart, rookie QB up to speed, for the most part.

But, the Bama and Texas games, still loom large. The playbook would still be abbreviated for a rookie QB, even at that point. However, with their defense and o-line, they may not need to be very good or get too deep in the playbook. Just......"good enough".

To me...it's all about controlling the line-of-scrimmage and defense. That gives you all sorts of flexibility with a young QB Room. With what the Dawgs have...and what they have, coming in... I don't think UGA's gonna have that problem in the foreseeable future.

Therefore [Lol]...2024 UGA QB...not critical...but, desirable.

Maybe he's going there, to recruit McCord for somebody else. Lol

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great details, thanks! We have plenty of talent and if he wants to go elsewhere we will be absolutely fine.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Also, I've heard speculation that the OV is part of a "quid pro quo" between Raiola's Uncle, Dylan and the Nebraska Athletic Department....in connection with Dylan's Uncle's recent "big raise". "Get Dylan on campus for a visit...and you get "X" amount of dollars".

This is actually what I think and have so stated on the Dawg Forum page….

A courtesy to his uncle and his boss….nothing more

Other than a promise of instant playing time (looking at you, J. Fields), and who would want to play in those Nebraska cold winters, it really doesn’t make sense considering his move to Ga, his godfather connections (Stafford), his ongoing recruitment of players to UGA since he committed, his family probably not needing any NIL money……

Yes, we would be fine without him (or Beck), but I for one, would love him to stay (as well as Beck)!!!

I bet he's watching and listening to all this hullabaloo...laughin' his butt off at all the knee jerk responses. Over a heartfelt "goodbye post" to the people he spent the last year with, and probably...will never see again. Just because he left UGA out?.

Yeah...the visit adds some spice.

Then..."no comment" from everybody involved?. Now, we got a thing.

Sens-a-tive...as Eddie Murphy would say. Lol. But, seriously...things are starting to add up. I'll be shocked if we don't get something from the Raiola or Smart camp before tomorrow evening.

This story is reaching critical mass. If it continues exposure without coolant...there's no telling what the Shockwave will do when it detonates...or, what the fallout will be. Maybe, not as big as we think.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate