Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Joe_GagliardiJoe_Gagliardi Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

Is anyone surprised? This is what happens when you don’t play super talented kids because there are “more experienced” guys ahead of them. Chaz Chambliss had no business being on the field. He’s just not really athletic. Our OLB play **** all year, now we lose another one. I love Kirby, but he’s so **** an*l about how guys practice and whether they have much experience. I can tell you from personal experience in sports, some guys just do better come game time than in practice. We need speed and athleticism on the outside, now we’re losing yet another piece of the defense. This is why Saban has had more big time success than Kirby, he’s not afraid to take a “risk” and let a guy just play. Of course Jeff Sentell will give us some 10 minute reason and explanation why he left and how we have nothing to worry about. Save it. Something is happening in the program, and I can’t put my finger on it, but guys are leaving for a reason. They just don’t get the playing time they want. And as often as our defense struggled this past season, it couldn’t have hurt anything to “take a chance” on and believe in some of this five star talent that can’t see the field.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

WOW. What the heck is going on here? This guy was going to get more playing time next season! Will there be anyone left? We are losing our depth on this team. Something is spooking these guys into leaving.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

OK. I know kids are unpredictable but are they being targeted by someone for money or other things. Given UGA's recent success there may be something else to this.. Could a Gator or Tide connection be involved in trying to dismantle what Kirby has built? If I'm a kid who wants to win and go to the pros UGA is the choice. Someone should start an investigation.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His injury limited his playing time and experience, but he was climbing back up the ladder I thought. I guess he feels he has no chance of more quality playing time...puzzling. Strange one to me. NIL? Possibly a factor. Surprised to see his name in the portal. We may be hurting on the edge now. He is an athlete. Would like to hear from Kirby.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's the new era of College football. Very little developing of players because with the transfer portal and NIL the way it is, players are going to bolt. Kirby will have to be active pulling the right talent from the portal now. To much quality depth slipping away. On the other hand, if these guys don't want to be a Dawg, then go find that greener pasture. The bidding war is in, will the Dawgs get left out? Long gone are the amateur sport of College football.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think he is leaving possibly because his position is a position of demand and maybe he is realizing that his NFL prospects may not be all that he expected and he better get some $ now or he may never get any. But could be all kind of reasons, several, going to the sucky Gators closer to home. he could get some NIL and play all he wants and we go down there and expose him for why he wasn't playing more at UGA.

But who knows? He gave it 2 years and his clock is ticking. Maybe he just doesn't see himself being good enough to start next year and it is likely just as simple as that. So keep the conspiracy theories at bay.

Some guys pan out, some don't. We get more room in the portal and scholarships and that is a really good thing. We can bring in somebody better who has more potential to make an impact next year. 5 star or 3 star, who cares.

And Kirby will be taking advantage of it for sure. Win-win for UGA. Sorry many do not see that.

I mean, its beautiful. MANY players do not pan out and instead of them being here 4 or 5 years taking up a scholarship, they can go look for a better opportunity for themself and Kirby can free that spot up for someone better. Increase the % of hit rates.

Its like playing poker when you discard to hopefully get a better hand...

So stop crying and theorizing people. It is a win-win. Especially for the UGA roster getting better.

It really is that simple folks. We want better players. Players want more playing time and leave or go closer to home and maybe some more cash. I mean UGA can be very deep at some positions. Other teams SEE THAT and want them to leave and come help their roster. Players see that too. It is tempting. Wait behind first round NFL draft picks for 2 years or go to Kentucky or wherever is at need and get paid and start.

Totally understandable. Why do you think Saban always talks about trust the process and points out who did? So those guys will not give into the temptation and leave after he has developed them for a year or 2 because that is the best for the program, if the player has what it takes. If not, then do a Deion and push them toward the door. You know Kirby does that too.

All coaches except Dabo do lol.

Its all good people. We lose some we would like to stay. But you know what? Most of them that leave just opens the door to hit on several others that are going to be better than the players leaving were ever going to be or at least for the following season.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ugh I hate to see Jones go. He missed his first two springs due to injury/surgeries and that slowed his development, but having him leave now stinks

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I guess this is something that we're just going to have to get used to, but I'm struggling with it. Apart from a financial opportunity (NIL) that we aren't yet aware of, this just doesn't make sense to me. Jones was very impressive in the 2023 season, and on a great path for more opportunities in 2024 and beyond. A healthy Marvin Jones Jr. could have easily won a starting job on the 2024 Dawgs defense. There was a glaring weakness on the left side at OLB for the Dawgs that was exploited by several weaker teams throughout the season (Auburn). I hate to see a guy with this much talent think he's not the solution, or think he doesn't have what it takes to be a difference maker. I think he could absolutely be the solution and absolutely has what it takes to be a difference maker.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unless we hear from Jones, we all can speculate as to what's going on. My speculation is Jones believes he is better than the kid ahead of him on the depth chart. Elite kids want the NFL and being in a constant rotation just doesn't give Edge rushers enough game reps. I doubt Jermaine Johnson would have been a first rounder if he had stayed. Since 2016, the only other Edge rusher with any consistent pass rush production is Azeez Ojulari. Not Nolan Smith and not Travon Walker. There's something to that. I don't know if it's scheme as in too much dropping into coverage or not fully knowing the playbook or what. I have watched a lot of Bama games and I just don't recall Will Anderson and Dallas Turner dropping into coverage as much as our guys do nor them rotating in and out as frequently.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Its not always about playing time or NIL.

Transfers have always been a part of the game, just now without the 1 year wait. Many of these kids just want to go “home”. College athletes have a rigorous schedule. And being close to home for some is part of them they haven’t let go of yet.

If I’m right, Miami will be his new school.

if I’m wrong I’ll join the keyboard warriors club for 2nd guessers.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont know what MArvin Jones is making but he's already been making money with NIL. THey show a commercial with him featured in it for some law firm I believe about injuries and such . THey play it twice during Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune where I live!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So every year from now on the good teams have to lose half of their team and virtually all their depth? Can't imagine the coaches will put up with this.

• Options

You are correct, your comment is emotional. My comment is frustration, with facts to back it up.

Chaz Chambliss has 2.5 career sacks, including exactly ZERO (0) sacks for the 2023 season. Lassiter and Tykee Smith both DBs and NOT edge rushers mind you, combined, had 2.5 sacks this season. That is Chambliss’ career total. So a guy whose job it is to set the edge, and get after the QB, has a total of 0 sacks, and only 20 tackles in a season, and you are telling me that is elite play? Chaz Chambliss may know the defense in and out, but he gets his ass whipped every play. You cannot reasonably, rationally say he is an impact player when you look at his stats. Chaz is the unequivocally not rare breed.

And, where did I say “play kids that have no business being on the field so they don’t transfer”? Umm, yeah, I didn’t. I said play kids who are talented, when the guy in front of him, just doesn’t cut it. Considering the level of play we didn’t get from Chaz, you’re not risking much by putting in a faster, better player, even if he is less experienced. Kids who are talented, will transfer, if they don’t get playing time. And considering how poor our edge play has been, we need all the talent we can get.

I can say whatever the hell I like. I don’t have to be kind to Kirby or indiscriminately approve of or agree with every decision he makes. Kirby is a human like everyone else, and makes mistakes too. And that does extend to personnel decisions as well. I don’t have to believe he is perfect and never messes up. I am actually allowed to disagree. This isn’t a cult, I can embrace divergent opinions. And my opinion is Kirby is too risk averse and too conservative. And, again, I disagree with Kirby about practice and experience. Playing time doesn’t equal skill or ability. It helps, but it won’t remove a leopards spots so to speak. And how do kids get experience? Playing in games. It’s not the best practicers that win games, it’s the best players. Good players still need to practice well, but practices are not games. Most super talented guys, you will see their best in games, not necessarily in practice. It’s the same with college. When I was in college, the smartest students didn’t feel the need to study, why study when you can get a 95 without studying? Where the students always studying were hoping for a a B, a B+ if they got lucky, and they were ALWAYS STUDYING. I am not saying study and practice are meaningless, but they don’t give you elite traits, they enhance elite traits. And there are some guys playing, Chaz included, they study well, but don’t have any elite traits. For a lot of super smart, super talented kids, their best comes out at crunch time. And Kirby doesn’t seem to acknowledge that. I have been a Georgia fan long before Kirby was the coach, I don’t owe him undying allegiance, or anything, for that matter. I have the right to criticize him. And I believe he is mismanaging the roster.

I should be ashamed? For not thinking what you want me to think? BS I will continue to think whatever I like.

And it’s not “one player”, a lot of guys are leaving. Granted, most of them weren’t going to ever start, but you just can’t lose a guy this talented.

And, what are teams made of? Players! You got it, first guess. Teams are made up of players. And great teams are made of elite players. Not just to beat up on Chaz, I like him as a person, but either you are elite or you are not. Chaz is not elite. Our edge play this year was abysmal.

And no kid wants to wait two or three years behind Grandpa over there who runs a 4.8 and has no sacks on the year. No sacks? Are you kidding? That is his job! And he failed! Kids don’t some to Georgia, or anywhere, to practice. They come to play.

“What are you thinking?” Is that meant to make me feel bad? I can think whatever the hell I want. I don’t need to consult anyone before expressing my opinion.

• Options

Yeah…except you can’t replace your entire 2 and 3 deep with transfers. In the past two seasons we have lost 29 players, and already 14 more have entered the portal in the past week. The transfer portal is so you can get a single WR, or a DL, or maybe two DBs. Not make up for this level of attrition. In three seasons we will have lost an entire 1.5 recruiting classes worth of players. That’s like taking an entire year off from recruiting. That’s insane! We don’t have to like what is happening. It’s not conspiracy, it’s reality. We are losing an alarming number of players. True, many of them wouldn’t have started next year, but what has made us better the past two years is quality depth, now we’re losing potential playmakers. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows. No matter how badly you want to force that Kool-aid down our throats, we don’t have to take it.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While this one appears to be the most confusing of the transfers, we may never know why. Was he afraid of competition from the 3 talented edge rushers in the class behind him, because they are there? Was he upset that Jalen Walker was making more plays when it mattered? Was he not willing to put in the practice Kirby demands(bloody Tuesdays)? Was he homesick? Has someone convinced him there was more NIL money elsewhere? While I have wondered why he was not on the field more, like some other posts here, I am willing to trust Kirby to put the players on the field that give us the best chance to win. Kirby cannot control what some players decide about the portal. Unfortunate sign of the times.

• Options

Why are you so **** condescending? If folks want to engage in conspiracy theories, why do you care? People can think what they want.

And…you do realize in the past 2 seasons we have lost 29 players to the portal? And in the past week, 14 more? That’s 1.5 recruiting classes. That is not insignificant like you are trying make it. We can’t lose that much of our depth. How does losing that many players make our roster better? How is that a win win? Maybe there’s an opening for you…how much would you like a year to carry water for Kirby? No one here hates Kirby. But something is wrong right now, and no matter how hard you try, you can’t spin this as a good thing. It is not. We will never bring in the number of players required to offset attrition. It’s not a one for one.

No one is crying. You seem more upset about people being concerned for the UGA we all love, than the degree of frustration they are expressing.