Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sentell’s Intel: What I’ve learned so far about Dylan Raiola’s commitment to Georgia football

13»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't put that much stock in a pro-style pocket passer, in years.

IMO....The game has moved away from that...and, I don't see it returning. Not with the current rule book...and recruiting infrastructure...not to mention sports media...all of whom encourage athleticism other than a strong arm and accurate aim in prospective QB's.

The NFL also has a say,, when it comes to "top tier QB's". What kind of QB's are THEY buying, these days...for the most money?. If you know what I mean.

What's funny is...back in the day...QB's like Beck, Raiola and Manning would have been considered "running quarterbacks".

I was pleasantly surprised by Beck's mobility and decision making, this year. I don't think he's ready for the next level, but, Levis and Richardson made it, so...what the hell do I know. Lol

I DO think, if Beck sticks it out 1 more year..."We will remember his name", right along side all the other Bulldog Greats. He could earn himself a Heisman and CFB HOF induction, one day. Eternal recognition is a helluvan incentive to come back, if you grew up worshipping "The Trophy".

As for Bennett....Mobility and accuracy were the main reasons I was all-in on Bennett. He fit the rest of the starting cast of players, much better than Daniels...IMO. Turns out, I was right on that one. And, that ain't always true. I was wrong a couple of times...I just can't remember when, dontcha know. Lol

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does he realize that Kyle McCord will also be in Lincoln this weekend for an official visit? If he’s looking for the starting job without any competition he may be in for a surprise!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

What I've learned, c'ya Dylan, good luck, and the Dawgs will still be in great shape.

• Options

I agree.....If he goes to the 'Huskers...he transfers in a year....and, UGA may wind up with him anyway. Only, a year further along, in maturity.

I said the same thing about Manning last year. The Dawgs may still wind up with Him. Ya neva' know.

The fact is...right now....the Dawgs are set at QB as far as I'm concerned.

Unless and until....Beck declares for the draft AND Raiola pulls out his commitment to UGA. Then, it's back to the drawing board in the QB Room...not to mention, a basic game plan going into the Clemson game.

I'm afraid, if UGA goes into next year's schedule with Stockton as "starter" and Puglisi backing him up....it may be a little bit of what Chicken Little [@UGADad20] said. Lol.

It'll be tough to play any SEC schedule...much less UGA's '24 schedule with a 1st year QB. He would be cutting his teeth on Clemson. So...there's that.

I think UGA does need Beck and/or Stockton back next year for a credible & comfortable "Natty Run". They could conceivably wind up with 2 or 3 losses, with their schedule and a rookie QB.

The sky ain't falling, though. UGA...at the end of the day....is still UGA. And, Kirby is still Kirby. They will field a "quality team". I believe their incoming defense would afford em 3 or 4 games to get a good,, smart, rookie QB up to speed, for the most part.

But, the Bama and Texas games, still loom large. The playbook would still be abbreviated for a rookie QB, even at that point. However, with their defense and o-line, they may not need to be very good or get too deep in the playbook. Just......"good enough".

To me...it's all about controlling the line-of-scrimmage and defense. That gives you all sorts of flexibility with a young QB Room. With what the Dawgs have...and what they have, coming in... I don't think UGA's gonna have that problem in the foreseeable future.

Therefore [Lol]...2024 UGA QB...not critical...but, desirable.

• Options

Maybe he's going there, to recruit McCord for somebody else. Lol

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great details, thanks! We have plenty of talent and if he wants to go elsewhere we will be absolutely fine.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Also, I've heard speculation that the OV is part of a "quid pro quo" between Raiola's Uncle, Dylan and the Nebraska Athletic Department....in connection with Dylan's Uncle's recent "big raise". "Get Dylan on campus for a visit...and you get "X" amount of dollars".

This is actually what I think and have so stated on the Dawg Forum page….

A courtesy to his uncle and his boss….nothing more

Other than a promise of instant playing time (looking at you, J. Fields), and who would want to play in those Nebraska cold winters, it really doesn’t make sense considering his move to Ga, his godfather connections (Stafford), his ongoing recruitment of players to UGA since he committed, his family probably not needing any NIL money……

Yes, we would be fine without him (or Beck), but I for one, would love him to stay (as well as Beck)!!!

• Options

I bet he's watching and listening to all this hullabaloo...laughin' his butt off at all the knee jerk responses. Over a heartfelt "goodbye post" to the people he spent the last year with, and probably...will never see again. Just because he left UGA out?.

Yeah...the visit adds some spice.

Then..."no comment" from everybody involved?. Now, we got a thing.

Sens-a-tive...as Eddie Murphy would say. Lol. But, seriously...things are starting to add up. I'll be shocked if we don't get something from the Raiola or Smart camp before tomorrow evening.

This story is reaching critical mass. If it continues exposure without coolant...there's no telling what the Shockwave will do when it detonates...or, what the fallout will be. Maybe, not as big as we think.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TransplantedDawgTransplantedDawg Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

This has reached the point if Raiola doesn’t offer some sort of “I’m still a Dawg” offering, he can stay in Nebraska, As wired in as kids are today, he’s aware of all the conjecture. If he’s the leader he wants to be, then he snuffs this out. If he doesn’t, that tells me what I need to know.

The game of football is about development and if he feels he’s ready to play right now, he’s in for a rude awakening. I for one don’t need the drama of another Fields episode.

• Options
    TIMLAW10TIMLAW10 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

I hope he goes. I always thought he had a slow release anyway.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

One of your best articles Jeff

I wonder if NIL just might be the center of an "ego" issue. "He texts a lot". I understand is somewhat conservative with this money for unproven freshmen. I can imagine a meeting where Raiola wants Georgia to meet a late Cornhusker massive NIL offer. If this is the case we may be better off without the young man. He has already damaged his "image" here in Georgia. I am sure he could redeem it but I really do not want to see another "Fields" issue in our Dawg house.

• Options

Couldn't agree more. I was glad UGA didn't get Arch Manning last year...because of that very thing. They aren't worth the baggage that comes with em.

If you are desperate to win...like so many other "elite teams" out there....then, by all means...roll the dice on a "savior".

Last I checked...UGA doesn't need a "savior". They just need a "Smart ball-handling QB" that protects the football and makes good decisions with the passing game and protections. A leader. Raiola checks all the boxes, but one. I'm not so sure he's smart. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2023

I don't think people realize how big an impact "The COVID Year" had on off-season moves and team-building over the last 3 years. I haven't seen a "Study" on it yet...but, i'm betting...HUGE.

A whole recruiting class and anyone eligible to play CFB at the time...was granted an extra year of eligibility.

That "COVID Year" goes away this year. I don't think there will be many, if any, players remaining, with "A COVID Year".

I just wonder how that will impact the transfer portal?. How many guys are in there, still waiting for a new school. How many of "those", still have "COVID Years"?

How many players have entered the portal, because of a backlog of COVID Players in front of em, on the depth chart?

How has the "COVID Year" effected overall team depth in the SEC [for one].

How will the loss of all Covid Players from the cupboard, effect recruiting and transfers, going forward?...The intensity seems to be picking up as the COVID Players drift away. Just sayin'.

Laws of Supply & Demand aren't suspended, just because the product is human resources.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd say Puglisi is as good of a QB as Raiola. Puglisi has a strong accurate arm, and a quick release, great qualities in a QB. Ive watched 2 or 3 Buford games this year, and wasn't very impressed with Raiola. He overthrew several passes, and they weren't even within 5 yards of the receiver. Another thing I noticed, he holds the ball a long time in the pocket. You can get by with that against HS talent. But 6'2 240lb college LB that runs a 4.5/40 will clean your clock holding the ball that long..GoDAWGS!

• Options

I felt the same way, when I watched him play. He would've been a project, anyway. Just like Beck and Stockton.

UGA runs out of an extremely complicated pro-style offense, that requires an intelligent QB. Not a gunslinger. Though, I don't see why they can't have both, every now and then. Lol

Right now, I have complete faith, in Stockton and Beck. With 2 and 3 years experience operating that offense...against the best CFB Defense in the Nation [most of whom, are in the NFL, right now],....they, are ready!

I have a feeling Puglisi was "their guy" all along. Raiola was just "trimmings on the tree"...and, probably would've transferred, anyway.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

First off, I'd like to say I really enjoy your comments! I don't always agree, but I'm sure you feel the same about some of my comments also, maybe this one lol that being said..Dont forget, Beck was actually in his 1st year as a SEC QB this season. Like Stockton behind Beck, and Vandagriff, Beck only got mop up duty reps behind Stetson for 2 years. Myself, I'm more worried about the D-Line, and LB Corp, theres been a lot of attrition at those 2 positions. Several young talented LB's in the waiting, but very inexperienced. WR would be my next concern. A lot depends on what Beck, and a few others decide is best for their futures. Hopefully all works out for the best for all parties involved. Return, leave, transfer, opt-out, do what's best. Regardless of what happens, I'll be a DAWG 100% until I'm gone..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    edited December 2023

Same here, man. And, I'm always worried about "defense". Lol

Personally...I believe next year's defense could actually be better than '21's defense. And, they'll need it. IMO

I don't think it will look that way, statistically, at the end of the season. But, that's due to the level of competition the Dawgs have, on next year's schedule....not the defensive talent level.

They WILL have the best secondary, in the SEC. The question marks are really around the front 7.

Will the front 7, have 2021's depth?...No...but, they have better coverage from the secondary.

Will the LB's be able to make the same jump, that the 2020 LB's made, year over year?...[N Dean, C Tindall, N Smith, T Walker, Q Walker, etc]....all made a helluva jump from '20 to '21. That's not even including Jermaine Johnson [FSU Transfer/ACC DPOY/#26 Draft Pick] or Adam Anderson [All-American?/Expelled].

It's not clear, yet...if the LB Room still has that level of commitment from their leaders. We'll see.

In any case...the Dawgs will have one of the top 10 defenses in the Country, cause that's the goal. And, Kirby don't miss, hittin' them "goals & milestones", dontcha know. Lol