Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Jamon Dumas-Johnson transfer says about the future of the inside linebacker room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhat Jamon Dumas-Johnson transfer says about the future of the inside linebacker room

At the beginning of the year, the idea that Jamon Dumas-Johnson wouldn’t be on the 2024 team didn’t seem far-fetched. Dumas-Johnson was a preseason All-American and a draft-eligible junior.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm just wondering if there is something coming up with Schumann again this off-season. Like last year. I understand they're switching the reins to allen and Wilson, but linebackers(he recruited) are up and leaving. Maybe thinking too big on it, just curious.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Something is wrong

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Disappointed. While I have few concerns that UGA will be able to replace him (I sense a MUCH more active inbound transfer portal for the Dawgs coming), JDJ was my favorite defender this past year. Less because of his play (which was obviously good), more because of his passion and leadership.

An old client of mine once said, “everyone’s individual weakness is their strength taken to an extreme.” In the case of JDJ, maybe his passion for high performance has gotten the better of him… this sure seems like an emotional decision, the Dawgs losing out on the CFP perhaps getting the better of him. That is, of course, unless CKS gave him a “nudge” as he creates more space for new inbound talent. I doubt it in this case, but do wonder how many of the UGA players have gotten the high sign from Kirby that he’s cool with them moving on… I’m guessing we’ll never know for sure in most cases.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe Schu is out the door for an HC position. sure wish signing day would get here quick so we could get these HSers on paper instead of just being "committed."

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As a booster or just a fan you can't get to high or low based on the decisions made by these young athletes. The system we're currently experiencing is only benefitting a small percentage of the players IMO,

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2024 backers will be just as tough, and definitely faster, more Dean/Smith/Tindall-like. But those young pups will have to grow up fast. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited December 2023

I typically don't criticize specific players on this forum, but outside of Walker (who will be an absolute beast in 2024), our whole backer room was too slow for the Georgia standard this year. I hate to see anybody leave, because they're all great athletes and iron sharpens iron... but too often, guys who are leaving (and some who are staying) would make a mistake/get out of position (as even the best do), and simply not have the speed to make up for it like players in our recent past. I'm expecting/hoping the next generation of kids will more resemble that blazing speed element that got Georgia backers drafted high, in spite of comparatively less "experience" or not exactly freak bodies. The combo of speed, smarts, and tackling technique is the key for elite backers. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

At first, this might seem somewhat bizarre; however, when you look at the big picture, it becomes more clear. JDJ was a **** good player; there is no doubt about that, but it looked like he had lost a step this year. The new breed is much, much faster, and perhaps JDJ saw the writing on the wall. JDJ was a great leader and player, but he did not have the speed of Nakobe Dean or Roquan Smith. "Speed Kills" and "The Legs Feed the Wolf", insert your own clichés, but JDJ got beat more frequently than other former linebackers. Nonetheless, JDJ made his mark on Georgia football by being a major part of two national championships, and if for nothing else, that qualifies him as a DGD!

• Options
    edited December 2023

Agreed. Love the character, but need more (speed). I didn't fully appreciate that until I saw it manifest in our program in recent years… I'd previously thought the prototypical "Dick Butkus monster" was what you need in that middle tier… But no sir, not in today's game. When you see those guys close what seems like an impossible gap, it's a sight to behold. Speed like that is terrifying to opposing QBs, RBs, TEs, and coaches. And it's NFL material. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Yep...you nailed it Conner. UGA's gonna be loaded on the defensive side of the ball, next year. Just the right mix of youth and experience, IMO.

JDJ is probably leaving for the same reason Jermaine Johnson left in 2021...a few months before UGA's "Generational Defense" took the field against Clemson. Never missed him.

That '21 FrankenDawg Defense...is going to be challenged by '24's Defense. Next year's, awesome front 7...with a smaller, but quicker DL...will have the support of what I believe will be one of UGA's best Defensive Backfields...ever. IMO

What's kind of ironic and oddly similar to this coming year, is......[Before the '21 NC campaign].......Due to missing the '20 Playoffs, Kirby had time to focus on the team, coaching staff and recruiting after the 2020 season. The defense had similar question marks surrounding the secondary. And, much like this year...had a few defectors, such as Jermaine Johnson. Davis and Wyatt announcing they "would be Dawgs one more time"...was the highlight of that off-season.

Also...as with #2 OA Recruit "Raiola"...UGA theoretically "lost the commitment" of #1 OA Zack Evans right around the time of the HS All-Star game.

Oh yeah...and, the Dawgs start the year out with "Clemson". The same team they started the '21 Natty season, against. In a neutral site game, again.

The similarities between the time frames of...[Dec/Jan '20/'21]...and...[Dec/Jan '23/'24]...is becoming hard to ignore. If history is the best predictor of future events...UGA's gonna have one helluva defense, next year. It was hard to see at the time...everything that appeared bad...turned out for the best. I expect the same will be true this year.

If anything...Kirby's getting better at his job, every year...if that's possible. Just give him 11 capable players and stand back. He'll find a way to beat you. Lol

The '24 Dawg "D", could play similar to this year's group, in allowing some movement between the 20's...but, goin' into lockdown mode in the Red Zone and giving up a lot of "0's" & "3's"...depending on their DL/LB depth when the season starts and the QB situation.

That defensive style, is part of Kirby's '23 Complementary Football".[IMO] Burning up clock without conceding many points...as long as the Dawg offense scored consistently with sustained drives.

Injuries on both sides of the ball dictated how Kirby, Will and Mike approached every gameplan this year. The result was, that UGA only played 1 game at "Full Strength & Potential"...against Ole Miss.

They all did a helluva job keepin' it together as long as they did, in my mind. They took everybody's best punch, week in and week out...and, walked away with an undefeated season. You can't ask for more than that with the health issues they were dealing with on both sides of the ball.

IMO...In the SECCG...UGA played, with a Champion's Heart...as much as they did against OSU, last year. They just came out on the short-end, this time. And, we all know why. Lol

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

JDJ was a step slow often. No way he beats out Allen. All this is obvious. On the other hand, whatever happened to loyalty, love of school,love of your teammates, and sticking to it? Such concepts seem to be foreign to this current generation, a generation which includes the Connors of the world.

I hear what they’re saying, but this me, me, me crap is just that - crap.

agian I say “Yes, I am not in touch with realty. No need to remind me.”

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Yes JDJ slumped in '23. Why? IDK. Could it be because the '23 DL did not keep him clean by occupying/dominating opposing OL like the '22 DL did? JDJ was a force in the middle in '22.

UGA has 5 or 6 (Mondon?) 4* or 5* ILB's on the team in '24. All are young (exc Mondon) on the smaller side, need development and are not the force against the run that JDJ is. UGA's run D was not up to standard in '23.

The JDJ TP defection illustrates how UGA is missing the boat by recruiting out of state players and not state of GA players. State of GA players have their families relatively close by. They also have some inherent "loyalty" or affection for their home state. That doesn't trump money but it is a factor that may make a difference in a player staying at UGA or leaving. Out of state players have no roots that provide any encouragement to staying.

In light of what is happening to the roster these days it will be interesting to see what adjustments will be made in recruiting and retention by CKS.

As for any TP additions to the UGA program ( and there will be some- there has to be) there may be some silent commits. Announcing a handful of TP additions BEFORE the early signing day and before the end of the TP window only opens the further possibility of decommitments and more UGA TP entries.

• Options

A big part of staying "clean" is football IQ. Elite backers have gobs of that, and the vision to anticipate the unfolding play, find the right angles, and slip those behemoths coming at them. Go Dawgs!

• Options

Staying clean also means being able to shed blockers due to size, strength and experience. Experience to understand quickly what is unfolding and not take yourself out of the play.

So you are saying that JDJ lost that "vision" between '22 and '23? I guess it is still developing in CJ Allen and RWilson? Wilson and Allen had a combined 1 tackle and 2 assists vs AL.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future JDJ..GoDAWGS!

• Options

Simply put, if Georgia is smarter (which is not necessarily the result of experience), faster, and better at tackling... it'll be improved at linebacker next year. I believe they'll have guys on the roster to do that, and guessing that's what Kirby and Schu expect/plan. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

The something wrong is very likely the totally unregulated transfer portal combined with unregulated NIL.

• Options

Simply put, the '24 D certainly looks to be younger and less experienced than the '23 D. The '23 D was not as good as the '22 D. The '24 D, as it stands now, does not look to be as good as the '23 D. We saw how that worked out. Right now the '24 D has too many RS Fr and true Fr being counted on in prominent roles.

It was said that the '23 D (team) lacked leaders. UGA just lost one on D. Maybe the last one to the great UGA D's or '21 and '22.

ILB is one place that UGA has recruited well with potential for excellence with development and maturity. Probably time to move JWalker back to ILB full time. Significant TP additions will be needed for the '24 D to approach the '23 D in experience, production and effectiveness.

• Options

I'll take a linebacker who's 15 pounds lighter and has a little less "experience" but has 10 more IQ points and is 1 second faster any day of the week because he'll somehow wind up where he needs to be to make the tackle (while the other guy is busy engaging and trying to shed a blocker as the runner bolts by). Of course I don't know if the next guys up have these attributes, but we'll find out soon enough. Historians and prognosticators might think this D is doomed by recent departures, but I choose not to see the sky as falling because Kirby & Co know more than any of the other so-called/self-appointed experts. Go Dawgs!