Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia will give Florida State something else to cry about if Seminoles not over CFP snub

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia will give Florida State something else to cry about if Seminoles not over CFP snub

ATHENS — It’s time for Orange Bowl invitee Florida State to stop being so sour about missing the College Football Playoffs and get focused on football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

#1 Michigan was only 5 spots better than FSU when it came to SOS. So, a weak excuse for leaving FSU out of the playoffs. You think the CFP committee would've done that to Texas, Bama, or Michigan if their QB had went down? I seriously doubt it..i hope both Bama AND Texas get smoked to prove these experts have no clue.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Overall records should be the criteria for play in top four as it has been for years; not who might be missing. I think FSU got screwed and of course that is just my opinion. Would have been a great year to have 8 in playoffs.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jamboogie You got 13-0 Liberty in the Playoffs, too?

Flames play Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl, let's see how that goes.

• Options

@1SICemDAWGS1 Last time I checked Michigan had a healthy starting quarterback. FSU had only 12 fist downs against a Louisville team Kentucky put 38 points on the week before.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Healthy QB or not, Michigan's SOS wasn't much better than FSU's.. and the last time I checked, according to the experts, SOS is a major factor in their decision.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Committee did a decent job with a tough task. They even threw FSU a bone by ranking them over Georgia—probably because 5th or 6th didn’t really matter. Georgia has the most legitimate complaint over being left out, but most objective observers (even diehard Dawg fans like myself) get it.

My only area of contention is putting Texas in over Georgia. Sure, Texas beat Bama in week 2, but they subsequently lost to Oklahoma and that No. 2 SOS ranking is a mirage (i.e., total BS). The CFP + Orange Bowl results will likely reveal whether the Commitee got it right. 😉

• Options

@1SICemDAWGS1 Strength of schedule is one of the protocols, along with conference championships and margin of victory, and they look at stats, too. But this year, more so than any other, they relied more heavily on the "eye test" and the former coaches on their panel. If that had been the case in 2018, Georgia would have gotten in over Oklahoma.

But to this point, Florida State did not look like an elite team at all once it lost its star QB, and thus it was not deemed one of the "four best." --- not "Deserving" -- deserving does not matter. It's not about what's "Fair"

It's four-best, and that FSU team that only mustered 212 yards of offense on Louisville sure didn't resemble a club that could stay on the field with Alabama or Texas .... and we'll see what happens against Georgia

• Options
  • Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I disagree with the CFP Committee’s methods. It’s an awful message to send to these men (not just FSU, but all of college football) that merit and performance over a period of time does not matter.

Unlike a certain rival head coach, much credit to Coach Smart for not getting drawn into the sniveling before or after the CFP final ranking.

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The way things are going in the transfer portal, maybe the Orange Bowl should be a 7 on 7 affair!

• Options
    edited December 2023

I watched Michigan struggle with a couple of weak big10 teams themselves.. so the eye test is another weak excuse. Is the Louisville game all you can muster? What about the other 11 games?? And, FSU won a Power 5 conference title. At least it was a Power 5 conference when Clemson was winning all the time. Regardless, I hope both Bama AND Texas lose. Texas is back from what I hear lol after 1 good year and they're ready to be crowned king..funny. Media wants that bama/Texas re- match, it would draw a lot larger viewing audiemce, and much more revenue, than any other matchup between any of the 4 teams. Exactly why I want both to lose, hit em in the wallet where it hurts. It cost FSU more than a few dollars being snubbed by these experts.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just wondering......how long are we going to beat this dead mule......the ONLY FAIR SOLUTION is to include the winner of Georgia/FSU in the play offs.....give the winner of the Michigan/Bama game a buy then they play the the winner of the 2/3 and 5/6 game.....of course being simple this ain't happening.......GOOOOO DAWGS, Beat The Semi-Noles!

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Blame the current system. With subjective criteria and group think, money and politics will rule the decisions. Every year some team is robbed. Opening up to more schools next year will help, but still some team(s) will be left out that may have legitimate complaints. That said, should we go back to letting AP writers and then college coaches decide and possibly end up with Co Champs. Probably not. I have moved on and now waiting for the Orange Bowl. Not a bad spot for the players and recruits in South Florida. Keep our heads up and focus on momentum for next year and putting the best team on the field. Great chance for a lot of players to show talent and make their claims for 2024.

Go Dawgs

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

“Georgia will give Florida State something else to cry about if Seminoles not over CFP snub”

Great headline there @MikeGriffith . I am sure ole Kirby appreciates the help.

A win win….U get the replies & Kirby gets a fired up FSU team.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Media wants that bama/Texas re- match, it would draw a lot larger viewing audiemce, and much more revenue, than any other matchup between any of the 4 teams.”

@1SICemDAWGS1

I believe the Michigan/ Alabama matchup is a dream-come- true for the media. The Alabama/ Texas rematch will be the icing on their cake, but those high- brow Northeastern media folks are desperate to see one of their darlings (Michigan, Ohio State, and ND) take down an SEC Champion. I don’t think it happens this year, I think the SECCG was the defacto National Championship Game!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Folks, the SEC Championship was the national championship. The invitational selections by the committee of fools is nothing more than granting the wishes of ESPN. I doubt I will watch the 2 semi invitational games nor the final invitational. See sentence #1 as to why. I don't care about FSU. I only care that our program uses this time to get ready for next year. The clock is ticking on the Clemson match up and there is no time to waste.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree that FSU was not one of the top four best NCAA football teams this year. Heck, they probably weren't in the top ten even before losing their starting quarterback. That said, I think that FSU should have been selected as the fourth team in the CFP because they closed out the season undefeated and won the ACC championship. It's a good thing the CFP is ending this year because it is a totally political machine that protects its favorites, particularly Michigan, Alabama, and Ohio State. FSU really needs to get their heads straight quickly or even a Georgia team that is losing a big number of players to the NFL or the transfer portal will totally expose and embarrass them in their home state of Florida. Georgia will run circles around FSU as long as Bobo doesn't have a relapse and forgets what Todd Monken taught him.