Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia reportedly hires Donte Williams as defensive backs coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia reportedly hires Donte Williams as defensive backs coach

Georgia has found its replacement for Fran Brown, as Donte Williams is expected to be hired as the new defensive backs coach for Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm. I admittedly don't know anything about this guy. Here's hoping he's a talented coach looking to get out of a bad situation. Considering Smart's general aptitude, it seems like a real possibility.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC Defensive Backfield? Really? Hmmm....must have something to do with recruiting the West Coast...not so much "coaching". Besides...UGA already has 3 of the best DB coaches in the Nation.

Kirby's got a strategy. I love it!

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reportedly a very good recruiter according to Dawgs HQ.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great recruiter and a good coach......working for Lincoln Riley, I don't care if you're Gordon Ramsey, you can't make Lobster Thermidor with crawdads so coming to Georgia.....where Defense is always spelled with a capital D, Coach Williams will shine!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lateral move for Donte. Kirby is after a recruiter. Brown was an excellent recruiter. Makes sense to me. I suspect mucho dinero involved as well.

• Options
    CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Cali? I'd rather have someone that can win in Metro Atlanta!! There's no reason for the best recruits in this state to leave and play elsewhere.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought Belk was the big fish ?

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just wanted to let you know there are many of us old Dawgs that appreciate your inciteful west coast perspective.

• Options

I was thinking the same thing.@wpony714 . Well said...and kind of informative. I didn't know what the "Fan Perspective" vs "Football Reality", might have been.

Sounds like Kirby landed another good one, though. From most of what I've seen and heard. I still think his "main thing"...is gonna be recruiting & team connection. Maybe he blossums into something more. Kirby seems to have a knack for seeing DNA strands, others miss.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True. Jermaine was a definite miss though.

I won't be surprised if USC CB Domani Jackson hits the portal. He's had perhaps the tightest connection with Donte.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Recruiting is king. Well, after NIL. A recruiter has to get their attention and be able to hold it before recruiting gets serious. Donte Williams seems to have that skill. There may not have been anyone better and/or closer that CKS identified or could sign. I wondered about Corey Raymond. He was known as recruiter extraordinaire at LSU and recruited well at FU. But he seemed to wash out at FU pretty quickly. On the surface this is about as good a hire as could be expected.

With you on being able to recruit LA better than ATL not making a lot of sense. Hopefully he will be able to recruit Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb and Fulton better. It would be hard not to. The bar has been set pretty low there.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Having to trust Kirby on this. USC pass D was atrociously bad. Looks like a recruiting move.

• Options
    ugambaugamba Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Head scratcher....USC has a terrible defense and he's not one of the top 25 recruiters per 247.

• Options

Scheme and Grinch were more the issue. Grinch made personnel decisions and the entire defense, including the position coaches, were an unhappy group. Did Bear Alexander look like he improved or regressed? With his abilities, and the coaching he did have at UGA, he should have flashed and dominated from day 1. Instead, it took him more than half the season to show up and look like he knew what he was doing.

Donte is the epitome of a blue-collar coach. He didn't fall forward or wake up on 3rd base. He builds great relationships with players, with the media, with high school coaches. He was not set up to be successful....period. Helton, Grinch, Riley. I wouldn't wish that trio on ANY staff member.

Time will tell but give the man a chance with all that UGA has to offer, and under Kirby's tutelage, and he might develop quite nicely. His innate skills in recruiting can't really be taught so that's a win right out the box.

• Options

If he's already a good recruiter "before" he arrives in Athens....imagine what he might accomplish under Kirby's tutelage.

UGA has one of the largest, most comprehensive, meticulous...and successful "Recruiting and Player Evaluation & Development" departments in the Country.

How can he NOT get better?...whether he ever becomes the best or not. Look at all the great recruiters at UGA, now.

I have no doubt..."Recruiting" is a competition among UGA's very competitive Coaches. They're great at it...cause, they make it fun and enjoy their jobs. A formula for success, in any skillset or profession....IMO.

• Options