Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck confirms he’ll play in Orange Bowl, unsure about future beyond that

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck confirms he’ll play in Orange Bowl, unsure about future beyond that

Georgia quarterback Carson Beck will play in the Orange Bowl for the Georgia Bulldogs. Beck told reporters he will play in Georgia’s bowl game against Florida State.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good news for the Dawgs! I totally understand him taking so long to decide on his future. It's a big decision. Whichever way it goes, the Dawgs will be fine.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

My $0.02. Carson Beck will be back next year. The reason he has not public ally stated this is because his decision will impact Dylan Raiola and his decision. I believe 1 of the following 2 things will happen: 1) Raiola commits/signs during the early signing period (December 20-22) to UGA , and this will be followed by Beck “deciding” to stay after Raiola has moved in on campus and/or after the UGA orange bowl victory; or 2) Raiola commits/signs during the early signing period to Nebraska (something that unfortunately seems more likely today than a week ago), and the disappointing news is quickly followed up by the good news of Beck “deciding” to stay one more year.

I am not sure where DawgNation stands on this, but I am much more of a fan of RP at the moment that DR.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe the vast majority of the Leaders [eligible to leave]....looked around at what they saw coming back and coming in, next year...and, realized that by coming back and destroying EVERYBODY, in 2024......They would go into the '25 draft in much better shape. Not to mention, another Ring on their finger.

Rather than "1 or 2" 1st rounders, this year...they could have "4 or 5" 1st rounders...and "6 or 7" 2nd and 3rd rounders. They got the "Mo' money blues". Lol

I smell....a "Revenge Tour II"! C'mon wid' it!

• Options

I think you can say goodbye to Mr. Dylan Raiola. And...if all this "waffling business" over money, is true....Good riddance!

The fact that...neither Raiola...nor anyone associated with Raiola, UGA or Nebraska, have come out to dispel or clarify the rumors, indicates there is some validity to the "flip". Therefore,, we must assume everything reported is rooted more in "fact" than "speculation".

Here's my goodbye to Dylan Raiola....

[May you have fair winds and following seas...till you meet the Dawgs, again. Then, God help you.]. Lol

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RP definitely has the look of a QB. A 6'3 " kid who looks a tad taller than that. LEan and muscular looking. Think Josh Allen, not as big, but a smaller version, appearance wise.

I rewatched DR's highlights again and most of his highlights are big lollipop throws where he lofts them up and lets his receivers make the play. HElps when you have the Bolden kid who will play on Sunday one day. He can wing it now and as smooth as a release as you will ever see, effortless throws. BUt not a lot of throws made on a line into tight windows. Not saying he can't make those throws, just not much film work. Throws a lot off his back foot and a tad slower than Puglisi on the scramble.

Rewatched GS's highlights again. He had more film of quck decisive throws into narrow windows and can launch it as far as the other 2. A superior runner to the other2 with more wiggle. In HS if he had a step on you, you're not going to run him down unless you're a 4.4 guy. We know how that can help against a good rush defense. He does have to wind up a bit more on the lonnger passes, than the other 2.

My biggest problem with GS is he's 3 inches shorter than the other 2 guys and he looks like a Middle LB at a small college. Of course SB and BY looked like they could be playing pee-wee ball, so there's that.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If he leaves after the Bowl game, it will be a shame for him, because with one more year at Georgia he could win the Heisman and a Natty.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Isn’t it great that we, as fans, can speculate all day long and it really doesn’t matter if we are right or wrong

i believe BECK is waiting on his performance from the Orange bowl and the other top QB performances ti see if he slides up or down on the draft scale.

as for as DR. Could care less. GS, RP, and a whole transfer portal of potential await for the 24 season.

I didn’t believe a Natty in 24 is likely. I’m guessing 10-2 and depending on how the other teams play a possible SEC championship opportunity. If we were to get into the Semi’s. Then maybe there is hope.

• Options
    edited December 2023

"Throws a lot off his back foot"____reddawg1

Is that true, Red? I haven't seen him play...but, if his mechanics are that bad...it makes you wonder how he got to be ranked, so high.

I've doing a lot of thinking, about Raiola's "commitment" and "transfer" history. He may have been "Offense & Opportunity Shopping" in HS....to raise his Rating Value and Ranking #. Through exposure and statistics.

It's all about the hype, with this kid. I like him, as a QB....but, he's "NOT for UGA".

As far as all that transferring and waffling business....it's hard to know whether it's him and his parents,...or, an "advisor/agent/rep". I kinda doubt, it's just him and nobody in his family can seem to tackle him, to keep him from destroying his credibility and career.

He's starting to make me wonder what Deion Sanders would've been like, in this CFB Environment...with HIS eyes always toward self-promotion. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2023

Lol....go back and look at some of the posts and comments, coming out if the 2020 Season. Then, look at the reality of the '21 season along with the emergence of so much hidden talent to go with the veterans...such as, James Cook, Brock Bowers, Ladd McConkey, Channing Tindall and Trayvon Walker...to name a few. Nobody ever heard of em [outside of Georgia] prior to 2021.

That's the kind of team, I see coming in next year. THIS, was their "down-year"...if you want to call it that. And, THAT was due to injuries.

So much youth and inexperience on both sides of the ball, coming into this season...and a boatload of experience and talent at the end of the season...going into next season.

I'm not just looking at the "stars" of the team. But, overall. They'll be just as capable going into '24, as they were going into '21....IMO.

In other words...if they win it all, next year...it shouldn't be shocking. Football, is about much more than the QB Position....despite what the CFPC and talking heads would have us believe.

That's why I'm not sweatin' Raiola or next year's QB Position. Yet. We can't have another Joe Cox situation. That's all I'm sayin'. Almost any QB would do....but, I like Gunner, myself. Always have. I think he's gonna make people stand up and notice...once he gets his chance.

• Options

BTW...That could be one of the other "Beck Considerations".

Gunner has been waiting, too. Maybe, he's considering the BVG move...and transferring.

I know Kirby has been high on Stockton, since before his Sr yr of HS. I think he sees the kid as the Dawgs "future"...and, doesn't want to lose him.

So, maybe it's more about satisfying BOTH guys...and, that's why nothing has been "announced", yet.

Hell....maybe they both play QB next year. I'm sure Bobo can have some fun with that. Especially, if they can get, both Beck and Gunner on the field, at the same time.

I can hear opposing coaches, now.... "Which one is the Quarterback...and, which one is the Running Back?. They can both run...and, throw...and, lead or follow. Who's getting the ball.".

Lol....it's rare to have so many capable QB's in one Room...IMO. Why NOT innovate and get creative.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since I have never, and will never, be in Beck's position, I have no idea what's involved in it. But I do wonder what other bit or bits of information he is still awaiting to make a decision. Hopefully, we will find out soon, although if I was planning to go to the NFL, I really don't think I would be playing in a meaningless bowl game. I can't believe a great game -- against a now-undermanned opponent -- would make that much difference in his draft position.

As for Raiola, I'll not be a hypocrite and bash him now. I liked him a week ago and the things I liked about him then, I would say are still true today. So, no need to try and make up perceived "flaws" in his game and anything else just because it now appears he's changed his mind. I'm sure there are kids committed to other schools right now (looking at you, K.J. Bolden) that UGA would LOVE to have flip to us. And we fans would be all in on those kids. So, in the (apparently) unlikely event that Raiola does still decide to sign with the Dawgs, I would welcome him with open arms. If not, I wish him the best wherever he winds up, and we'll move on with Stockton, Puglisi, or whoever else dons the Red and Black. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Breaking News......In an attempt to sway DR to sign..... Waffle House has offered quite an NIL deal.....all of the scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, capped, topped, countryed and CORNED waffles he can eat!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I saw DR play in person this season(and on tv). He is every bit of 6'3" and 215 lbs. If not more. He can throw it all over the field without even setting his feet. Strong arm yet advanced touch for a HS player. Excels off platform with his mobility and arm. His game resembles Pat Mahomes though I am sure DR is more advanced than PM was as a HS player. When DR has the ball the game looks like it is moving in slow motion. He is so relaxed, in control and in command of the O. He has a quick release and can flick the ball 35 yards on a line in an instant. DR has had tons of extra QB coaching. The best money can buy. I don't recall ever seeing a more advanced HS QB. There was a reason he was the #1 HS player.

@bigdawg61 what are you smoking? In '21 " nobody heard of Cook, Walker, BBs..."??? Cook and Walker were 5* HS players and BBs was freshman AA. Anybody that saw TWalker play on his HS basketball team , in person, could tell he was special. No one that big moves like that. I know I know every freshman in your imaginary world is LaBon James, Kobe Bryant, TWalker, JCook and BBs. Seriously chief don't bring that bs here. With what UGA is losing even a handful of guys ascending will equate to a drop off from the previous 3 seasons.

As for CBeck he should have been given the 1st week of the TP window to decide. Tell him, GS and BVG that if he isn't committed by then he can move on and the'24 QB1 will be decided in '24 between BVG and GS. Thank you for your service. That would have been better for the stability of the team.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know there is always talented players that are capable of greatness. However Georgia's schedule along with the new open format for the SEC combined with teams specializing in portal loading will create a perfect storm for UGA to navigate. Then the extra game added as a “play in” game for the playoffs.

personalky I would prefer GS over Beck based only on what we are told, it’s possible RP might have a better college game than GS. I’m just going to let the coaches decide who starts. But prefer a current Dawg and not a portal player

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Brooksie This comment is Above a 5 star rating !!! Copied & Pasted: Isn’t it great that we, as fans, can speculate all day long and it really doesn’t matter if we are right or wrong

iAmen Bro. !! We ALL have our opinions. I’m Very opinionated as Yall well know. But in the end it doesn’t make much if any at all impact. I guess if I were a multimillion $$ donor to UGA I might get a little time in someone’s ear that Does have some authority. But I’m Far from being in that position.

I’m very interested in Gunner Stockton. Only because my wife and I moved to his home county going on two years ago. I’ve never seen him play the first snap in HS, so I can’t offer personal testimony.

I Can tell you this the people up here are Very high on him. Most say he’s The Best QB to ever come through their school. I Know and appreciate that when you look at a HS you have to consider what classification it is. But don’t be to quick to dismiss some of the smaller schools. Herschel Walker. Just sayin.

As a transplant here it looks like Rabun HS is a pretty competitive school. Seems they are in the thick of competition for their classification on a fairly regular basis. Folks here are very proud of another graduate from Rabun HS, Charlie Woener TE that played at UGA. I’d have to look and see but I think he’s still in the NFL.

I had the great pleasure of speaking by phone with Gunner’s Dad a some months back. A Very nice gentleman who himself was a football player and is in the Ga.Southern Hall Of Fame.

I Really enjoyed talking with him and he’s Super Proud of his son Gunner. He said Gunner is SO proud to be a Dawg, and was gonna give his all for the team. Our conversation was back in the summer, said Gunner felt he had a good spring camp and was excited about the future.

Like All Dawgs fans I want what ever ( also Who ever) is best for UGA. Hope Beck comes back. But if not I sure hope to see Gunner get a shot. Like Beck did he’s waited his time. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Also I don’t think the Dawgs will be as bad as some seem to think. ALLOT of young guys got real game snaps this year due to injuries. At present Kirby has the number one recruiting class in the country. We’ve seen that Kirby and staff are pretty dawg gone efficient at coaching up young guys.

I know, I know they’ll Still be freshmen. But at least they’ll be Top Quality freshmen hand picked to fit the UGA culture. Then there’s the TP. Yeah allot of guys left. But that door swings both ways !! I’m curious and anxious to see what/who will happen when Kirby dips his net !!

I’m Confident in Kirby that he will be very selective and only bring in guys that fit the UGA culture. Lastly all the other teams have guys leaving to go to the NFL, hitting the TP, or their time is over etc. So things will smooth out as we go.

I’m Believing that Kirby will have the Dawgs right back in the thick of things pursuing Elite and Excellence !! Now to set the stage our Dawgs need to crush the Noles !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

On Raiola, I think it’s an admirable and noble thing to want to follow in your father’s footsteps. I’m not knocking him for that. Or really Anything it’s His life. But IF he decides to go to Nebraska I think he will have made a Terrible mistake.

I think some people on the Nebraska side of things see him and are Telling him that he can resurrect the program to Greatness. And I think that’s grossly wrong. Yes they will be better off With him than Without him. And his presence there will probably put two maybe three more games in the win column vs the loss column. But Nebraska is gonna need Waaaay more than just a fabulous QB to bring it back to the forefront.

Some in my view Selfish people are telling this kid that he’s the cornerstone of that program coming back to greatness, and in my view it ain’t gonna happen. Oh he’ll make some waves there. And the fans There will be tickled with the added wins and a chance to play in The Who Cares Bowl sponsored by Fast Freddie’s Rentals. But as a whole it’ll Still be a losing program.

And though it’s not fair really HIS performance in many ways will be based on the Program’s performance and thus his NFL stock will drop drastically. After a couple of years there it’ll be Dylan Who on the CFB landscape ??

I would sure Hope that his father doesn’t have a heavy hand in this, But, well uhm Yall know. And as I understand it his uncle is a new O line Coach there ?? Is that correct ?? Y’all suppose ole Unc might have aspirations of promoting to OC ?? Later on maybe even HC ??

So if ole Unc helps reel in the #1 QB in the nation to help do some extremely Deep sea diving to bring that program back to the surface, sure makes ole Unc look good don’t it ?? Long story short this decision could cause this young man to go from Hero to Zero in short order. But he’s gotta do what he feels best, because in the end it’s after all His life.

He sure better STOP and think on this a moment. But IF he has family pressure it’s hard for him to do, as he might think they will see him as a traitor if he follows through with his original Commitment and goes to UGA. We’ll see what happens …..