Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Carson Beck confirms he’ll play in Orange Bowl, unsure about future beyond that

Comments

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know there is always talented players that are capable of greatness. However Georgia's schedule along with the new open format for the SEC combined with teams specializing in portal loading will create a perfect storm for UGA to navigate. Then the extra game added as a “play in” game for the playoffs.

personalky I would prefer GS over Beck based only on what we are told, it’s possible RP might have a better college game than GS. I’m just going to let the coaches decide who starts. But prefer a current Dawg and not a portal player

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Brooksie This comment is Above a 5 star rating !!! Copied & Pasted: Isn’t it great that we, as fans, can speculate all day long and it really doesn’t matter if we are right or wrong

iAmen Bro. !! We ALL have our opinions. I’m Very opinionated as Yall well know. But in the end it doesn’t make much if any at all impact. I guess if I were a multimillion $$ donor to UGA I might get a little time in someone’s ear that Does have some authority. But I’m Far from being in that position.

I’m very interested in Gunner Stockton. Only because my wife and I moved to his home county going on two years ago. I’ve never seen him play the first snap in HS, so I can’t offer personal testimony.

I Can tell you this the people up here are Very high on him. Most say he’s The Best QB to ever come through their school. I Know and appreciate that when you look at a HS you have to consider what classification it is. But don’t be to quick to dismiss some of the smaller schools. Herschel Walker. Just sayin.

As a transplant here it looks like Rabun HS is a pretty competitive school. Seems they are in the thick of competition for their classification on a fairly regular basis. Folks here are very proud of another graduate from Rabun HS, Charlie Woener TE that played at UGA. I’d have to look and see but I think he’s still in the NFL.

I had the great pleasure of speaking by phone with Gunner’s Dad a some months back. A Very nice gentleman who himself was a football player and is in the Ga.Southern Hall Of Fame.

I Really enjoyed talking with him and he’s Super Proud of his son Gunner. He said Gunner is SO proud to be a Dawg, and was gonna give his all for the team. Our conversation was back in the summer, said Gunner felt he had a good spring camp and was excited about the future.

Like All Dawgs fans I want what ever ( also Who ever) is best for UGA. Hope Beck comes back. But if not I sure hope to see Gunner get a shot. Like Beck did he’s waited his time. Go Dawgs !!

Also I don’t think the Dawgs will be as bad as some seem to think. ALLOT of young guys got real game snaps this year due to injuries. At present Kirby has the number one recruiting class in the country. We’ve seen that Kirby and staff are pretty dawg gone efficient at coaching up young guys.

I know, I know they’ll Still be freshmen. But at least they’ll be Top Quality freshmen hand picked to fit the UGA culture. Then there’s the TP. Yeah allot of guys left. But that door swings both ways !! I’m curious and anxious to see what/who will happen when Kirby dips his net !!

I’m Confident in Kirby that he will be very selective and only bring in guys that fit the UGA culture. Lastly all the other teams have guys leaving to go to the NFL, hitting the TP, or their time is over etc. So things will smooth out as we go.

I’m Believing that Kirby will have the Dawgs right back in the thick of things pursuing Elite and Excellence !! Now to set the stage our Dawgs need to crush the Noles !! Go Dawgs !!

On Raiola, I think it’s an admirable and noble thing to want to follow in your father’s footsteps. I’m not knocking him for that. Or really Anything it’s His life. But IF he decides to go to Nebraska I think he will have made a Terrible mistake.

I think some people on the Nebraska side of things see him and are Telling him that he can resurrect the program to Greatness. And I think that’s grossly wrong. Yes they will be better off With him than Without him. And his presence there will probably put two maybe three more games in the win column vs the loss column. But Nebraska is gonna need Waaaay more than just a fabulous QB to bring it back to the forefront.

Some in my view Selfish people are telling this kid that he’s the cornerstone of that program coming back to greatness, and in my view it ain’t gonna happen. Oh he’ll make some waves there. And the fans There will be tickled with the added wins and a chance to play in The Who Cares Bowl sponsored by Fast Freddie’s Rentals. But as a whole it’ll Still be a losing program.

And though it’s not fair really HIS performance in many ways will be based on the Program’s performance and thus his NFL stock will drop drastically. After a couple of years there it’ll be Dylan Who on the CFB landscape ??

I would sure Hope that his father doesn’t have a heavy hand in this, But, well uhm Yall know. And as I understand it his uncle is a new O line Coach there ?? Is that correct ?? Y’all suppose ole Unc might have aspirations of promoting to OC ?? Later on maybe even HC ??

So if ole Unc helps reel in the #1 QB in the nation to help do some extremely Deep sea diving to bring that program back to the surface, sure makes ole Unc look good don’t it ?? Long story short this decision could cause this young man to go from Hero to Zero in short order. But he’s gotta do what he feels best, because in the end it’s after all His life.

He sure better STOP and think on this a moment. But IF he has family pressure it’s hard for him to do, as he might think they will see him as a traitor if he follows through with his original Commitment and goes to UGA. We’ll see what happens …..

On Beck, in my view he needs to come back one more year plain and simple. He only has One year as being THE Man under center for the NFL to consider. All the other snaps prior to that as a backup don’t hold near as much value. In those efforts all he was tasked with doing was preserving a win.

He never Had to come in because of injury that I can remember. If he did ( my memory ain’t what it used to be) it was only for one or two series, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

NFL will want as much film as possible to see how he operates while carrying Responsibility on his shoulders. And in my humble opinion, One year is not sufficient for them to draft him way high and dole out millions upon millions of $$$.

That’s Not wishful thinking on my part Against Beck. I just think it’s Realistic thinking. Come back, have a Stellar year, Then go and command much more $$$ Just my thoughts. But like Raiola he’s got to do what HE thinks is best it’s his life to live.

But like Raiola he sure better Stop and Think, if it were Me I would Surely include Prayer in that life changing decision !!

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 115 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck will probably return for next year. If he entered this year's NFL draft the earliest he would go would be the second round. He has more to gain by playing at UGA next year than going pro. Raiola is a different story. He seems to be an opportunist, so wherever he goes he could easily be a portal guy for a couple of years and then if he is any good goes pro. We still should be in pretty good shape regardless and field a decent team next year, maybe not as loaded as the last three years with leadership, but good nevertheless. There are more opportunities for guys to get playing time being a younger team. Next year will be very interesting with the SEC change up and the mayhem of the portal.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I said..."Nobody heard of [those guys]....outside of Georgia."

You need to start reading the whole post before you dive bomb somebody. Reading is fundamental. No wonder you've been half wrong about everything. Lol

Of course...recruiters, coaches and media have heard of those guys. It's their job. I was talking about the fans that don't keep up with UGA...or Recruiting.

Cook is the the only name, that I heard mentioned in Nation Sports coverage Because of his Brother...Dalvin....not, because of his play.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The 17 who've entered the portal haven't opted out of orange bowl?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20

Yeh, I am high on DR and I have stated so. Hurts to lose the kid, but the good thing is looks like he's headed to Nebraksa instead of BAMA or some other SEC team. Prettiest, most effortless release for sure and he does exhibit great composure. ANd he doesn't have to have his feet set, as you said. In fact, he from film I've seen sometimes doesn't even set his feet when he's in the pocket with no rush.

HIs demeanor on the field reminds me of the first time watching Jalen Hurts play at BAMA as a Freshman. Like he never looked flustered or shaken and as you said , the game was moving in slow motion for him. Even when scrambling and being chased out of bounds he always looked like he wasn't even breathing hard.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

EVERYBODY heard of BBs in '21. Anybody who follows recruiting heard of JCook and TWalker before '21. "Nobody heard of"? You mean the average CFB fan? Right. The average CFB doesn't really know **** from shinola about CFB. Which explains why you didn't know about those guys.

Please tell me all the things I've been wrong about, Mr "Marcus Washington is gonna be Kobe Bryant". Mr "SBIV is gonna win the Heisman and be a 1st Rd draft choice".

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

"Great composure". That is the best description of DR. Very polished QB w/all the physical tools you could want. Every play looked like a practice rep. And that was against GHSA 7A competition.

Tough to lose a great prospect so late. Kept UGA from recruiting another highly ranked prospect. It is what it is. The TP makes a quick fix possible at pretty much any position. There will be another TP window after Spring games if UGA needs to add another QB.

Teams like MS are killing it in the TP. Kiffin is managing the MS team like it is an NFL team. Have to wonder how that is going over with the players already there. IDK if you can pay EVERY (85) player. Logic dictates that there is only so much money and so many players you can pay. Teams may only be able to pay a handful of top players. Does that create a high tide of the next level of talent that raises all boats as those players spread out looking for a payday? Seems so.

Will make it more difficult for UGA (or any team) to stockpile talent like AL was able to do during its dynasty period.

edited December 2023

Either, you aren't very sharp and have problems retaining information....or, you are deliberately misquoting me, trying to get a rise. If it 's the latter...you're messin' with the wrong one. If it's the former...I'm gonna break it down for you one more time.

Just cause, it ain't our first time doin this '"UGADad20 Don't get it" dance. And, good news!! I found a way to get through to you.

I'm going to repost my comment below and highlight in bold the pertinent information so that you might digest it, with my thoughts in mind....not yours.

BTW....We [Players & media] heard of Herschel Walker from li'l ole Wrightsville, long before he ever got to Athens. But we had no idea, his athleticism would translate to the SEC gridiron, that fast and that effectively.

Herschel was just as dominating on the CFB Field as he was in HS...from his 1st carry to his USFL Contract signing.

Nobody saw that coming. NOBODY, including the UGA coaching staff. The same can be said for Bowers. They may have secretly "hoped"...but, there's just no way to know for sure. Til you hand him the ball, in Knoxville. I don't think he liked Tennessee or Bill Bates very much. Lol

You are welcome to go back and revisit the comments around the league in...'19, '20...early '21....and the '78, '79 & '80...Savannah Morning News and AJC. Or just talk to some of the former players, coaches and people close to "The Program". They'll tell ya the same thing, though opinions vary some, in that area....that was the word.

Relevant info in BOLD on previous post>>>>>>>

[[[ I said..."Nobody heard of [those guys]....outside of Georgia."

You need to start reading the whole post before you dive bomb somebody. Reading is fundamental. No wonder you've been half wrong about everything. Lol

Of course...recruiters, coaches and media have heard of those guys. It's their job. I was talking about the fans that don't keep up with UGA...or Recruiting.

Cook is the the only name, that I heard mentioned in Nation Sports coverage Because of his Brother...Dalvin....not, because of his play. ]]]

And. BTW...I never said Washington was gonna be Kobe Bryant. You're the one that made comparrisons and I said he COULD BE a "KOBE BRYANT OUT OF HS FOR ALL WE KNOW". It's been done.

YOU...said... that players coming out of High School at an earlier age and reclassifying one class back, [like JT Daniels]...weren't ready for SEC Football. That was just one of your many faux pa's . Lol

And, I was a helluva lot closer to projecting Bennett's final tally than you were....so, I don't see why you would bring that up.

Lol...you didn't even think Stet would make the Heisman Top-10...and thought he would be drafted in the 6th or 7th round...if not declare UDFA Staus and tryout as a preferred invite to one of the desperate NFL Teams.

[[ IDK if you can pay EVERY (85) player. Logic dictates that there is only so much money and so many players you can pay. Teams may only be able to pay a handful of top players. Does that create a high tide of the next level of talent that raises all boats as those players spread out looking for a payday? Seems so. ]]_____ugadad20

If you "pay every player"...you have to include everyone...not just the guys on the field. A lot goes into maintaining a CFB Program, the size of these Power 5 Teams.

I think they should pay all the volunteers that are depended on to make GameDay a memorable experience for Fans and Players, alike. If they're gonna pay one...pay em all for the grueling work of being an entertainment vehicle for the masses.

Or...they could just go back to playing football and going to school. I think they should open the NFL Doors to some of these kids coming out of HS, that think they're "All That!" and can produce at a high level without development. Let em take their chances in the pros, if that's what they want.

And, if that's what some of the Fans want....they can watch the NFL. I'm long past holding Athletes up as some kind of hero to be worshipped [about 50 years past]...though, there have been several actual "Heroes" to play the game.

"Equity" or "Equality"....which is it that our society wants to embrace.

Equity guarantees everybody gets an equal piece of the pie, regardless of their contribution or production.

Equality means that everyone is given an equal opportunity at getting as much of that pie, as they can get...determined by their contribution and work ethics.

BTW...talkin' about James Cook earlier...I just found out...he had 180 yds on 25 carries, with 2 receptions for 42 yds and 1 TD yesterday. That's the kind of back he was, for the Dawgs. I think Bell might be "that guy" for Bobo, going forward.

Can't wait to see B-Rob and Bell lighting it up with "Thunder & Lightning", next year. Wonder what they're gonna get paid?....NOT!. Even those guys....if they think they're NFL-ready...go get paid. If not....stay and learn something at UGA. That's the way I see it.

"Will make it more difficult for UGA (or any team) to stockpile talent like AL was able to do during its dynasty period."_______ugadad20

You've never spoken truer words. Gotta give credit where it's due. Lol