Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Connected Georgia brings fire to Orange Bowl prep, aims to ‘finish the year out right’

SystemSystem Posts: 11,058 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageConnected Georgia brings fire to Orange Bowl prep, aims to ‘finish the year out right’

ATHENS — The stakes have changed, but the Georgia football standard remains the same.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could see this game in the celestial numbers for UGA...70.... to whatever for FSU, if any score at all. Dawgs are really gonna win this one.

• David1David1 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our players are fired up. Their players are opting out. I don’t think it’s going to be close. Go Dawgs!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Georgia team is a week away from traveling to Miami, yet we don't know what that team will consist of. I reckon it shouldn't matter, as Georgia's depth and preparation should enable them to have a "statement game", no matter who makes the trip. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

You can count on FSU giving UGA a few points in this one.

I was hoping FSU would show up ready to play...with ALL of their players. Really disappointed in what I'm seeing out of FSU.

As much as i hate to say it...FSU is definitely not Championship material. So, maybe getting them out of the competition was for the best.

I still say The Dawgs are one of the 4th best teams...if not the best in the Country. Bama caught UGA, on a bad day, with a cast on it's leg.

This is a no-win situation for UGA's '23 legacy.

1]........If FSU beats em...it's gonna look "real bad" in contrast to previous seasons and that will be anchored down by an unfriendly/biased National Media. The Dawgs will lose some recruiting juice and FSU will gain some...not to mention a share of the Natty. Plus it would prove the CFPC "right" in their selections.

2].........If UGA wins ..no big deal, it's expected. Cause they're one of the 4 best teams in the Country. Lol

3.].......If UGA beats FSU by 60 points....no big deal, it's expected. Cause they're one of the 4 best teams in the Country, they've done it before...and...it would prove the CFPC "right".

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

There's a significant downside to losing. I'd say a very significant downside to losing.

Winning is always positive, always good, and is never associated with any downside.

Let's not be silly and pretend otherwise.

A statement win over FSU will hammer in the most important points. The corrupt, stúpid, political, full of crap committee did not pick the four best teams or even the four most deserving teams. Instead they jumped through historically unprecedented hoops to reward teams they deem important. In reality, it's not a legitimate playoff tournament. In reality, it's a tv show for which the powers that be crave high ratings.

The Dawgs have a chance to prove their case. Ranked Number One all year, and universally acclaimed all year to be head and shoulders better than anybody else, they're still the best team in the country. After beating FSU and with a little help from Lady Luck in the playoffs, this will become obvious to those most informed and objective observers if not outright acknowledged universally.

We all know we got beat with one leg in a cast. Even then it took a bad game on our part to beat us. However, nobody but me and you cares a wit about any of that. Fact is we lost! Now it's time to start a new streak and to demonstrate that our one lose was an aberration.

This is a very important game for the Dawgs!

Go, Dawgs!

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes that is all true. Still would like to win. This actually reminds me of the Richt team that just missed being in the NCG and went down to the Sugar Bowl and thumped a very good but overmatched FSU team. I think that was in 2002.

13-1 and an Orange Bowl trophy would be nice and get some of the bad taste out of our mouths.

edited December 2023

I didn't say..."there's a downside".

I said..."there's no real upside".

And, yes...winning is always good.

But, I was talking about legacies...and, those are fickle...depending on "National Media Narrative". Afterall...it was "National Media Narrative", that pushed. FSU and UGA out of the Top 4.

I've seen that same sort of National Media Narrative push teams into the Natty over UGA and other more deserving [better], teams...over the decades. And, I'm betting you have, too. I don't forget. Lol...this isn't an anomaly....ESPN owns CFB.

"The CFP".......ESPN's concert....ESPN's music. We just listen to it...and, this year, the music stinks...IMO.

edited December 2023

Couldn't agree more. I also have a stone in my shoe, regarding the 2007 and 2018 seasons.

And, the fact Bama has been to the CFP/BCSCG more than any other team that "didn't win their Conference Duvision"....which just happens to be the reason they kept UGA "out" in 2007.

And, fyi...in 2007, the SEC East was stronger than the West [Florida, UGA, Tennessee...with exception of LSU and Auburn. LSU had an easier path, is alls I'm sayin'. Lol

Why do ya suppose "that" is?. Lol...that was the only time, I ever saw CMR [or any other UGA HC] lobby for position. But, it was a weak attempt...IMO. Herbstreit thought they should be in it, because they were playing the best football in the Country at the end of the season. They were flat out "Dominant", by the time they got to the Tech game.

In 2007...they were, indeed, the best team in the Country....but, not the most deserving. In 2018...they were one of the best teams in the Country...AND...deserving. But hype ruled the day...and OSU [or Oklahoma (?)] was pushed in [by ESPN, etal]....over at least the 2nd best team in the Nation, at the time [UGA].

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We absolutely need to show up for this game, and I think we will. The seniors sure should have PLENTY of motivation as noted above, and there is simply no reason not to finish strong. It appears we're going to have most starters taking the field for this one, and I expect a better performance than we had against Bama. It will all depend on our prep and mindset come the 30th.

If winning is an integral part of Kirby's culture at Georgia then I can't imagine that he won't have this team ready.

GO DAWGS!!

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's still difficult not to have memories of the "No Show Sugar Bowl" in 2019, but if there's one thing I'm sure of is that Kirby & Company will do what ever it takes to forever never to repeat that debacle. The Dawgs will win but I expect The Noles to put up a fight initially. Style points will matter to the final ranking...ie: control both lines, drive, score and no punts plus our signing success will insure that we are at least #2 when Bama wins the Natty.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What matters to those assigning the final rankings may be mysterious, but it can't hurt us to be perfect against FSU, or as close as possible to perfect. Style points matter, but winning is vital.

It's not easy winning most of our games. Beating FSU won't be easy, but maybe the Dawgs can make it look easy.

Go, Dawgs!