Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

South Carolina defensive lineman Xzavier McLeod announces transfer to Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageSouth Carolina defensive lineman Xzavier McLeod announces transfer to Georgia

Georgia wanted to get better on the defensive line. Bringing in South Carolina transfer Xzaveir McLeod helps accomplish that, as the defensive lineman announced he would be transferring into the Georgia program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I see you Xzaveir McLeod!

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

I take it we had no chance with Walter Nolen? See I'm confused because it seems like none of the as Nick Saban coins it "big name free agents" wants to join the Dawgs

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SR_JR

How do you know Nolan (and other “big name free agents”) didn’t want to join the DAWGS? Not everyone who WANTS to join gets SELECTED to join, just like a bunch of great “players” doesn’t necessarily make a great TEAM.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This McLeod kid is a good’un! Solid height and weight and had the agility to play basketball…..

Jordan Davis anyone!?

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I doubt Georgie would have had any trouble landing Nolan if they'd been willing to give him the keys to the vault. But that's never been their approach since NIL took off, and they're not going to change for one guy.

Georgia does have DLs who can generally hold their own out there, they just aren't the individual game breakers we've gotten used to seeing over the last few years. The main thing they need is quality depth to give guys like Stackhouse, Brinson and Ingraham-Dawkins an opportunity to stay fresh throughout the game/season. Having guys like Jarrett and Hall take a step forward in their sophomore year, and bringing in a guy like McLeod could very well go a long way there. Plus there's always the possibility that one of the incoming freshmen will do well enough to at least be rotated in at times, providing even more depth. I think they're mostly really enrollees?

Anyway, there's enough in the cupboard that I understand why the staff didn't feel the need to throw things out of whack in going after a portal target like Nolan.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Absolutely agree. Indeed..."a conglomerate of great players...DOES NOT make a Great Team".

USC, A&M and Colorado are probably the most glaring examples of that very point. Good post!

That misinterpretation of the game of football..by so many, including the CFP & ESPN, is what led to eliminating FSU from the playoffs. They hinged FSU's entire undefeated season on ONE PLAYER out of dozens....as if they didn't have the talent and coaching to fix that problem in a whole month.

And, the Dawgs looked better, in the SECCG loss to Bama in '23, than they did in the '21 SECCG...yet the Dawgs made the playoff in '21 and stomped a mud hole in Michigan's chest. But...I digress. Lol

All those teams that "collect talent" rather than "coaching" the talent they have, are doing...are "hoping" they can individually outplay a group of players operating as a team. Alabama tried that, in '21 & '22, before Saban pulled em back to their roots.

That's not a strategy and "Hope" ain't a plan....which is why Kirby's leavin' em all in the dust.

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Serious question.

Returning DL? Who is returning? I heard Brinson is. Not sure if that is true. If it is that would be huge for us.

Also, I know Jamaal was hurt this year. Unfortunately for us he was the space eater we were hoping would develop by end of year. Too much to ask for a Freshman but hopefully will shine in the bowl game. We've got some good talent on the DL coming back but the numbers are light.

Would like to see a projected depth chart for the DL next year. This to me is our biggest question mark with the schedule we have coming up. Need our incoming DL dudes to start lifting and eating and learning if we are going to make a run in the playoffs next year.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So he wasn’t good enough to play for South Carolina, but he’s good enough to play for UGA? Plus, 285 lbs? Obviously, I’m missing something here. At least I hope I’m missing something here.

Kirby keeps saying we gotta be HUGE on both LOS. 285 lbs ain’t huge for a DL. One must assume our S&C program can get him up to at least 300 lbs, hopefully.

• Options

"We've got some good talent on the DL coming back but the numbers are light."______BD888

Yep...I see the makings of a great defensive front. Brinson my very well "start"...if you want to call it that. Either way...he'll be in the rotation.

I think they are constructed a little different than in previous years. They don't seem to be placing as much value on size. Speed seems to be thr order of the day. Which makes me think, they may be shifting to a different style of defense.

A defense that relies more heavily on the DB's locking down receivers...fast DLs stunting more, on the inside and blitzing more from the edge. What that type defense hones in on, is shutting down the "passing game", while conceding a few more rushing yards.

I, for one, can't wait to see what Kirby, Will and Schumann are putting together for next year's run. The 2024 football "team and scheme" is far from revealed...IMO.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Remember Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt? Great coaches...Coach em up.