Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What made Brock Bowers the best player in Georgia football history

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited January 3 in Article commenting
imageWhat made Brock Bowers the best player in Georgia football history

Brock Bowers doesn’t want to be remembered as the best player in Georgia football history. He doesn’t much care whether he is the best tight end to ever play college football, even if the numbers back that up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brock Bowers is the best Georgia player over the last 41 years. I loved everything about what he brought to UGA, and I’m guessing we’ll never see another player like him. Best tight end to ever play! Thank you, Mr Bowers!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 3

Seems like just yesterday you committed to UGA.These 3 years have flown by. It's been a pleasure watching you as a Bulldog. Best of luck in you future Brock..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    DAWGNUTZDAWGNUTZ Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

ATTITUDE, DESIRE, ABILITY, WORK ETHIC, GOOD PARENTING.

DUDE!!! DGD!!!

Glad that I got to witness this young man thrive in today's culture. Makes me believe there's still hope.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love Brock Bowers, but don't get carried away. Herschel Walker was and is the greatest football player ever to wear a University of Georgia Bulldogs uniform. He single-handedly won a national championship and almost two more with a somewhat better than mediocre. No need to inflate Brock Bower's outstanding career... We should retire his number, most definitely. But Herschel is the King and always will be. He was a better athlete than Jim Thorpe.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to compare Walker and Bowers. Both were key players that could and did impact the game's outcome without a doubt. Both played through injuries and fought like Champions. Bowers helped bring home 2 Nattys to Hershel's one. Hershel had many more opportunities to touch the ball than Brock. Back in the early 80s our offense revolved around Walker and the run game. Now our offense is multi-faceted but Bowers is a key part of that.

They are both GOATs for Georgia Bulldog football in my eyes.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brock was a great and amazing player with us but to compare anyone to Hershel is just absurd. Brock would tell you that. Just more Conner nonsense. Georgia has had many "greats" but there will never be another Hershel. Conner is just a kid that is running his mouth.

• Options
    keetl21keetl21 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Slow your roll, BB was great, but HW was the second best player to ever play college football.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If there was an impact player to be recognized for their contribution to the 2021 Natty it would probably not even be on the offensive side of the ball. Take nothing away from Bowers, who I think is an amazing player and athlete and certainly helped bring home those Nattys, that 2021 championship team was a defensive juggernaut! No one on either team (2021 or 2022) was even close to making the individual contribution to success that Herschel made.

• Options
    Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kudos to Bowers. Way up there on the list for Greatest Dawg. Herschel is not only the Greatest Dawg but maybe the Greatest college player ever.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 3

Brock Bowers is not the greatest football player in UGA history. He is probably the greatest UGA player since HWalker. HWalker won a CFBNC w/his QB completing 1 pass in the championship game. Walker was a marked man who put the team on his back. As good as BB was/is he never came close to doing that.

But what would you expect a 20 something CR to know about football history? His lack of perspective shows every time he opens his mouth.

When you consider "the greatest" you have to factor in durability and availability. HWalker had 5X the touches BB had in the same 3 year timeframe. 5X the touches at the most punishing position in football. BB couldn't make 1/5th of the touches w/o serious injury. That alone separates the 2 players. End of discussion.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think HW was a great DAWG and so was Bowers . Both provided the fans with numerous positive memories.

I hesitate to use GOAT label as there have been numerous DAWGs going back to Trippi that are worthy of our admiration without feeling it is necessary to rank them. Simply listing their accomplishments should be sufficient without feeling the need to rank any of them as the best best or next to best etc

In closing I will offer one comparison. Bowers was probably a better passer than HW

Thank

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was ther back in 1980 as a 23 year old die hard UGA fan. I remember the Herschel Walker days and while BB is my favorite player to play at UGA since Herschel, I've got to tell you that Herschel Walker "madness" was a thing back in the day in south Georgia and so I assume all over the state of Ga. . Go in any store or meet anyone on the street, black, white it didn't matter and it was OMG Herscehl Walker!! It was all anyone talked about! There was just such excitement for him. Not seen anything like it since. THe Herscel phenomenom.

Giving BB second place to Herscel is a huge compliment and not a put down to him in the slightest, believe me.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To get open, Brock has to beat whoever is lined up over him at the line and then possibly a Line Backer or Safety depending on the coverage. During an era where college and pro football was about the running game and running backs were the marquee players, EVERYBODY knew Herschel was going to get the ball 35-40 times and RARELY did any team stop him. Back then most teams played a base 4-3 defense, so Herschel had to get past 4 down linemen and then 3 Line Backers, and then had to deal with Safeties and Corners who were not 12 yards off of the line of scrimmage. I love Bowers and very happy he was a Dawg but STOP!

• Options
    DH82DH82 Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Nicely put and I feel exactly the same. I was at UGA during Herschel’s time and saw it all in person. Unless you actually lived and witnessed Herschel in person you probably can’t get a real feel for how great he was. At the time, the world had literally never seen anything like him. When he showed his speed against TX A&M and then SC it was almost unbelievable. There will NEVER be another like Herschel again. Bo was very good and there have been other good ones but they still don’t measure up to Herschel. And then the Sugar Bowl game with a shoulder that had been dislocated and put back in place during the game! Without Herschel, Dooley never wins a NC. There were other good players on that team but without Herschel that was an average team. Having said all that, I loved watching Bowers play and I love his attitude. Man, what a DGD! I place him number two all-time Dawg. I wonder who will be the next one?

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In the pantheon of Georgia Football Greats....Walker, Bennett, Sinkwich, Trippi, Pollack, Sapp. Hoage, Scott, Hartman, Stanfill, and at least 100 more, where sheer numerical accomplishment is and will be forever difficult to beat, Brock Bowers has raised the #19 to the very top of consideration by a more important metric. Though his statistical victories as a blocker, rusher, and receiver have set a standard for all future Georgia TE's, Brock sits atop of Georgia's hallowed gridiron legends for a more important metric. This metric is the foundation on which The Dawg Culture is based and the linchpin on which Dawg success, whether it be athletic, or academic rest. Brock Bowers will always be the personification of the most important culture characteristic instilled by Kirby Smart......everyday "work hard and always do the right thing"!

Brock, you will be missed but your legacy will inspire every Dawg for years to come......GOD'S speed my friend.