Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

So, Yet Another Discussion On Cutting The Satellite/Cable Cord...

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I live on a dirt road in very rural south GA. They are in the process of running fiber at the moment. I couldn’t believe it, I’m pretty excited!!!

@ghostofuga1 I’ve ran into the same problem with Direct. I like their service but it has absolutely become too expensive, when there are seemingly much cheaper options. I’m close to making a change also. Haven’t decided exactly what yet, but as soon as I switch to fiber I’m going to switch to something different. My best friend keeps telling me how much he loves YouTube TV. Definitely going to look into that.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

Don't know if it's still available but a few months back, Peacock aka Paramount+ offered me a years subscription for $24. Jumped on that deal as it helps fill the void when I cancel Hulu live in a few weeks. Might add that Hulu live has gone up to $85 a month. Gone are the good ol days of just a few years ago when it was half that.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome, nice to hear that. Yeah, I can’t wait! I’ve talked with the guys that are installing it and they said it should be up and running before the end of the year!

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

we have Hulu live. It’s been great and haven’t missed a thing. You can get unlimited devices too which is good for us and like being able to watch on tablet or phone when traveling too. Never miss a big sports event. And it automatically saves you favorite teams so I never have to record a Georgia game. We do have fiber at home though. We cut the home phone and the cable but have high speed fiber with Hulu. Saved us about 150 a month with no drop off

• Options
    BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I switched to YouTube TV a year ago because of price. I pay 59.95 for same channels I paid 150 for with direct. A little loss of some of the functionality of the direct box, but nothing I can’t live with

• Options
    Bsampson0317Bsampson0317 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

Step 1: Order an HD 4K Firestick

Step 2. Stop paying for cable.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

comment addressed

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Downloader, then... a certain app is 160 a year. Get everything, VOD sports, current movies, etc.. Do your own research.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We got rid of cable years ago and I watched games at a local bar which got more expensive than cable. We now stream with FUBO and a couple of others. I don't know if we are even saving money at this point.

• Options
    deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can you watch the Braves games on the streaming service?

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can watch cricket games in Pakistan (I don't, but I can); Braves games are a snap.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A few weeks ago I added up all the Hulu live fees I've had for the last 5 months of CFB starting in Sept and ending later this month. Came to $330 and that of course does not include my internet service. I did pause Hulu for a few weeks which otherwise would have bumped up the total by about $85. For some perspective, I cut the cord around 4 years ago when the streaming cost was almost half what it is today.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Use one of my son’s connection to Direct TV streaming, an OTA antenna and a PLEX server (loaded with the wife’s favorite old shows that Comcast charged $2 each for).

Xfinity Superfast WiFi costs $102/month. Not fiber - which they tried to upsell me. Routinely get 600-700Mps down and 100-150 up.

Saving about $150-170 a month and get all the same channels.