Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

UGA football: Looking back in order to move forward

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 7 in Article commenting
imageUGA football: Looking back in order to move forward

Looking at the Dawgs’ 2023 season can provide clues to what we can expect in 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BillKing enjoyed your article. I look forward to reading them on Sundays.

Do you think we'll ever get away from having 1-2 marquee games always played away from Athens - this year, Clemson and FL? The UGA brand has never been more solid. Not sure why we need to play these games at neutral sites. Think it would be better for Athens and recruiting to move them to Athens. Never hear from Athens Clark County Gov on this topic - especially related to the FL game being in Jacksonville. Seems like all interested parties (other than ACCG) are trying to influence the decision. Would think for economic reasons, ACCG would be pushing a deal to make it a home/home game.

Happy New Year!

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great Article I enjoyed reading. Agree that UGA never gets a break with SEC scheduling matters but proud that Kirby marches on without pouting getting ready for the next challenge. Also a little concerned about how DL can get back to level of Natty teams but trust they will rise to the challenge.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Message sent that regular season games do NOT matter.

And now with the 12 team playoff, you think those regular season games and that brutal schedule Georgia has is going to matter?

With the corrupt precedence set by the corrupt committee this past season, Georgia should be able to lose to Alabama, lose to Texas, and lose one more, and still be in the top 12!

Ooops, wait a second. I made a mistake. I meant to say Alabama, and include the name Coach Nick Saban in there with that. THEN they would be included in the 12 team playoff with 3 regular season losses. Because they will have beaten an undefeated Georgia by 3 points in the SEC championship game, and as we all can see from this past season, those regular season double digit but defeats mean NOTHING if you can win the conference championship game!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As Dawg fans, we know....."it is what it is"......you got to beat every SEC team and the officials by out scoring your opponent and not making or slightly giving the impression of making mistakes that will always be called.....given that, I am not in the least concerned about out scoring our opponents in 24. My concern is defensively holding our opponents to under 10 points.....we have the foundation in Stackhouse, Tyrion, Xzavier, and hopefully Brinson, we need the sophomores, red shirts and freshman to step up and show out.....I'm lookin for head huntin savages....get one or two and our schedule will be more than manageable and the Ref's will have to work overtime to find a reason to pitch the laundry.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we all know we get the short end of the stick from the refs when we play Bama.

It's every time we play them and the ref is usually looking squarely at what Bama gets away with.

The question is can we play nearly mistake free football and over come that?

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The prejudice by SEC against UGA and for Bama goes back decades. The only way to fix this is an impartial independent review of the performance of all officials after each game and fire anyone caught cheating. At this point the corruption is second only to that of the federal government.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 8

Incredible that none of you, including Bill King who can do better, realize the reason we are going to Tuscaloosa back to back is because Bama came to Athens back to back in 2008 and 2015.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 8

Just Google our future schedules for the easy answer. In the next 10 years, home and homes are coming with FSU, Ohio State, and Clemson (2 separate home and homes with Clemson), along with other P5 opponents UCLA, Louisville and NC State. Had them scheduled with Texas and Oklahoma, of course, until expansion happened.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Officiating across the board is dismal. Watching the Miami-Bills game last night, the refs blew several calls. THe one that gets missed most often is pass interference. Sometimes they "let them play" and then other times it's a slight touch that get's called. Personally, I believe the refs let BAMA's D-Backs play, and then some. THey just don't want to go through the arse chewing Saban is going to dole out if they call it.

Maybe someone will go back and analyze our games with BAMA and see how few times pass interference gets called against BAMA when it should of.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

A 2-loss Texas somehow outranked UGA in the final AP poll, with the Dawgs in 4th place. In the Coaches poll, Georgia was the higher ranked team, taking 3rd place, with Texas in 4th. Bama was 5th in both polls. All hail the coaches and the No. 3 Dawgs! https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/football/ncaaf/coaches-poll