Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Michael Penix Jr. overcame odds, injuries, SEC rejection on journey to CFP Championship Game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,669 admin
edited January 8 in Article commenting
imageMichael Penix Jr. overcame odds, injuries, SEC rejection on journey to CFP Championship Game

Michael Penix Jr. should take a victory lap around the NRG Stadium field before the CFP Championship Game kicks off tonight.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The key to the Huskies being in the Championship starts with the Seattle NIL Collective offering some financial incentives and convincing Penix and about 6 other key players to come back this year and try to play for a chance at the Title. It obviously worked. Good for Washington, good for the players, and that's the way college football works today...like it or not.

GO Huskies!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 8

I honestly don't have strong interest in Penix, or a natty game/outcome in which both teams would have a higher likelihood of losing to than beating Georgia. But while we're on the subject of quarterbacks, I hope Georgia doesn't run Stockton or Puglisi off by bringing Maiava in from UNLV... he's not THAT good, and happy let him stay out west. Portal a stud with experience in next winter if Gunner and/or Ryan don't show the development you expect in 2024. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tennessee screwing someone over? Surely not!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great article…….I’m sure all Dawg fans will have a keen interest in it.

You’re doing the “DawgNation” and it’s readers proud…..good work!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 8

The key for tonight's game is the Big Blue D....if they can keep Penix from leaving the pocket and extending plays/time to throw 50 yard bombs, the Wolverines can run it so much the Husky's will be chasing their tail all night and McCarthy will hit a few long passes.....No worries, Penix has enjoyed a fairy tail year and IMHO be the first QB off the blocks come draft night....he's definitely the best when you weigh skills and character.

As far as The Dawgs pursuing Maiava, I share your concern khummel.....I've seen a few tapes/games against crappie teams and he looked ok but there is no way in Heaven or hell he would ever beat out Gunner much less Pugs....Plue he's a Hawaiian....why would he risk it to come around the world to play when Lincoln The Loser and The USC busted rubbers are salivating for him and he's only 5 hours from home???? Kirby and Bobo need to scratch that QB itch and be THANKFUL our QB line up is the best in D-1!......Again, We NEED HEAD HUNTIN PLAY DISRUPTIN SAVAGES ON OUR D-LINE!!!!!!

P/S....I for one would like to see more from ole Jackson Muschamp....GOOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Enjoyed this background. Great story. Hope penix can get his feet set amidst this Michigan pass rush. If he can set his feet 20+ times, they’ll win. He’ll need to make a few plays on the run/with his feet though.

God I don’t want to see blue and maize confetti rain.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aside from watching CB, Penix throws the prettiest passes I've seen in awhile! THat one TD he threw against Texas somewhere between 30 and 40 yards(not exactly sure) was a pure seed. HIs hand to the receiver in roughly 1.5 seconds.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My impression of Michael Penix and Coach DeBoer is that they are light years ahead of the Blues Brothers in the ethics department. I worry more about the healthy availability of Washington's only experienced (and quite good) RB. Washington will hold its own defensively with Michigan's running game (better than Bama I suspect).

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know what you mean Mike G, but Penix will only take a victory lap after the game, *if* they win.

Here’s hoping they do. While Georgia fans know there’s only one true “Dawgs” team in college football, if Washington and their porous D can beat Cheatin’ “Mighty” Michigan, I for one will happily sign off on a Dawgs West Coast variant (but they’ll always be the Huskies to me).

Go Huskies!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Huskies Defense sure better ramp it up !! Go Huskies !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

I take back every positive I said about Penix....Husky's had no business in this game.....and they never were.

Now if the NCAA will come through and **** Big Blue of their Natty and declare The Dawgs the Nation Champions....Karma will have been fullfilled!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Too bad his OLine sucks and got exposed against Michigan.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

I am not sure '23 WA could beat '22 TCU. There was nothing impressive about WA. Player penalties, lack of execution, poor coaching game plan. Penix went from mid 1st rd to late 2nd early 3rd rd tonight. He was sped up and under pressure but didn't execute. Surprising since the WA OL won the Joe Moore. Only having 1 RB who was banged up limited WA.

Pass rush speeding up the QB is the key to beating a good QB. CBeck was only pressured in 1 game in '23 and UGA lost. #1 area for CBeck to improve on in'24.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PRessure on the QB and limiting the rushing; has anything changed? Defense wins championships, generally.

THe Washington bread and butter was the downfield passing game. When you don't have time to allow your receivers to get deep then your more dependent on pin point passes in the short and intermediate range. Michigan did to Washington what they did to BAMA and that was they didn't allow the QB's to sit back and wait for a player to come open deep down field. And even if they did come open the QB's minds were so frazzled they just couldn't dial in their throws.

I've watched Penix enough to know that he is a very good passer and not a guy who is just an athlete playing the QB position. Now he is older and more experienced than Milroe, so he should be a better passer. We'll see how Milroe develops.

Time and comfort make good QB's great! Put pressure on even the best and you can win.

Most of the time Michigan was able to bring pressure with just their front four. SOmething we haven't been able to do. Credit to Michigan for finding the best D-linemen or coaching them up, or both.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Am I the only guy who was cringing when Washington didn’t get Penix out late in the fourth quarter after the game was obviously decided. He looked to be in serious pain. I couldn’t believe they didn’t get him out to prevent further injury. That why I wouldn’t hire the Washington coach to coach a football team. Yes, I know his name is being put on the list of possibilities to follow Saban, but I wouldn’t hire him. You can’t risk a player’s future like he seemed to do in the natty.