Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football ranked No. 1 team by ESPN in its ‘Way-Too-Early’ Top 25 rankings for 2024 season

SystemSystem Posts: 11,048 admin
edited January 9 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football ranked No. 1 team by ESPN in its ‘Way-Too-Early’ Top 25 rankings for 2024 season

The 2023 football season came to an end on Monday night, with Michigan beating Washington 34-13 to win the national championship. Georgia ended the 2023 season ranked as the No. 4 team in the final AP Poll.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Based on Schlabach’s rankings, Georgia will face the No. 2 (Texas), 4 (Alabama), 7 (Ole Miss), 17 (Tennessee) and No. 19 (Clemson) ranked teams."

UGA needs to get ND back on the schedule as often as possible. They seem to always start the season ranked in the top 10. Two areas of consistency with the darling of the North East media are:

ALWAYS over-rated, and ALWAYS very beatable.

GO DAWGS!

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anywhere close to this and the SEC will have 50%of the payoff spots.

• WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MontanaDawg I think you will see a big jump with our younger guys and our DL this coming season. There is no way that Kirby will let 2024 replicate 2023. This D reminds me the 2020 defense, where we lost some guys but others are coming back and we have some young studs that are coming in to compete. The back 5 is a little worrisome a bit losing Bullard and Tykee Smith as both have tremendous skillsets. But we will be ok I think. But I honestly think we will end up with one loss nest regular season and playing with a huge chip on her shoulder.

• Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Football games have always been won or lost at the line of scrimmage. Always. I agree we need to get better up front. At times this year our OL/DL looked like they were on roller skates. I guarantee CKS is well aware of the problem and will make it a very high priority for improvement.

Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We had trouble with several teams on the LOS this year. Missouri and Alabama really played us to a draw or beat us on the LOS. Need to get bigger and badder up front. The only way to do this is to hope TID, Hall, JJ and the transfer can really step up. Moving Mykel outside will help as well. Stack and Bri need some help from the younger guys. Who knows maybe Thomas and Ajonye can provide some quality reps?

On offense the center position really is key. We need to be more aggressive in our run blocking. Definitely a drop off this year in line play. If we are going to win it all we must change that.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once again The Joe Moore folks got it wrong....The Washington Huskys????.....I'm beginning to see this award as a curse.....last night the Yard Dawgs were slow, weak and totally over matched....MontanaDawg,....Last night, The Huskys O-Line was about as stiff as week old nana puddin. Next year, The Dawgs look to be fine to start but several will need to fill some big shoes......quick, strong, and able to maintain blocks without holding is the goal to allow Carson, et al check downs.....quick and strong to open lanes for our RB's.......Joe Moore, Thanks, BUT NO THANKS!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

"Awards" go North.

"Trophies" go South.....unless cheating and corruption are involved.

As long as humans select the recipients....bias will be involved.

As long as Billions of dollars are floating around, in a giant cash-grab....corruption will be involved.

With all the "free money" floating around CFB...and, now...High School Football.....it's hard to imagine 100% honesty and integrity. It would be a first. Lol....and, in this case there are no guardrails....no checks and balances....no police.

It's the "Wild West" in CFB and Kirby Smart is the leader of a proud Indian Nation. You might beat em...but, you'll never break em.

IMO....4 evenly matched teams were selected to compete for a "Trophy". This was done, to ensure 3 competitive CFP games...and, to appease people like Stephen A Smith and other Disney/ESPN Sports personalities calling for "No more TCU type games at all costs".

Meaning....if possible, "Pencil Whip" the only team capable of "blowing out" the Michigan's and Washington's. The UGA Bulldogs! With them, out of the picture...the Committee was assured of 3 competitive games by 4 "upper 2nd tier" programs. That's right...2nd tier.

It's like a former UGA Golfer said a couple of days ago....they applied the "injury guideline" to FSU in leaving them "out"...but, falied to do so with UGA. Which would've kept em "in"......[You give Kirby Smart 30 days to prepare and recuperate team health.....he'd kick the crap, out of all of em. They played hurt, injured and thin at key positions with Freshmen covering for veteran leaders, in the SECCG. Dropping UGA 5 spots for a 3 point loss under those conditions...with those guidelines was BS.]

I was not impressed by ANY of the teams, I saw in this playoff. In fact, I was more impressed with the way the officials discreetly influenced the CFP's outcome.

"They" gave the "Trophy" to Jim Harbaugh, before the season started...."they" just didn't tell anybody........till last night. Lol....does anybody really think, they saw the best team in CFB play, last night? I'm curious.

This is a devalued, deflated Championship. Many on Social Media [not Dawg Fans]....are calling for an asterisk by Michigan's name on the Natty list. And....they are calling for the NCAA to vacate Michigan's Natty. I think it's hilarious. With all that goes into the CFP....it feels like, before the first BCS season...."rigged".

This kind of mess is going to happen with the 12-team format, as well. Money talks...and, you know the rest. Lol

UGA is still Champion in my book.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was not impressed by ANY of the teams, I saw in this playoff. In fact, I was more impressed with the way the officials discreetly influenced the CFP's outcome.....does anybody really think, they saw the best team in CFB play, last night? I'm curious.....Glad you asked BigDawg, as far as the ACC officials, I now have no idea what constitutes holding.....now if it was up to me, I would have preferred to see The Dawgs play Bama in The Sugar Bowl and Oregon play The Ohio St in The Rose Bowl with the caveat that teams can only play provided there are no opt outs other than for injury. IMO, the Natty would have been played by Georgia and Oregon and we would have our 3-Peat.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know that....you know that....ESPN Sports Personalities know that....and, the CFPC knew that when they drew a line through UGA's name. Crooked, IMO.

I think one of these on-going investigations, will turn up dirt that can be used, to blow up the CFP format [no matter the # teams]....and, replace it with a "real playoff" [32+ teams, 5 games total for the 2 top teams]. Same as every other sport and level of competition.

The criteria for making the playoff should be "in writing" and made crystal clear for Coaches, Players and Fans. There should be NO debate....that leaves room for bias and cheating.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I still remember the end of 2007 season when UGA was snubbed by the voters for the BCS NC game in favor of LSU. UGA end up destroyed Hawaii in Sugar bowl and the voters gave UGA a 2008 pre-season #1 as a consolation. UGA had a very tough schedule in 2008 and didn't really do well that year (losses to Alabama, FL and GT). I see some similarities here. Hopefully our 2024 season won't play out like the 2008 season.

I like the 32 game format and as far as conference champions go just do it like they used to a long time ago. Pick the highest ranked team within a tie breaker system or name co champs. That frees up another week of games getting us easily to the 32. I mean who was 32 this year? So it is like a tuneup for the top teams to play anyone outside the top 20 but it gets more teams involved and the bowls can sponsor the different games. Plus how cool would it be to play in the Pop Tart bowl 1 vs. 32. I'm digging it.

Dawgs were the best this year. Michigan are frauds.

I hope not. However, this is the toughest schedule UGA has ever had. Ever. 3 top 10 teams on the road. Unheard of.

Luckily we have the team on paper to win them all. We just need the injury bug to leave us alone this year.