Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This right here! I got a group chat with buddies and darn it if I don’t have to tell them once per week, “that’s interesting; but it’s not exciting for us til they enter Butts-Mehre, get issued their pads, and they lace up their cleats/lock in their chin strap and get to work on those Woodruff practice fields.”

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

His QBR is down because of the INT's. As young players tend to force the ball. (and some older players ;) The fact remains that he had more passing yards and the same completion % as SBIV did in '21 as a 3rd year starter. Maiava also has more passing yards and a higher completion % than Will Howard did in his 4th year starting at KS St. Will Howard is the TP QB every team was hot for that is transferring to start at Ohio State.

According to Sports-Reference.com Maiava's freshman QBR is 147.1. SBIV's career QBR is 160.9. Maiava's QBR is higher than Will Howards in 3 of his 4 years at KS St including his 4th year as starter. Not a bad start for a freshman.

His freshman rushing total of 277 yards is more than SBIV had in any single year at UGA.

Regardless of the level of competition ( or level of his OL, RB's and WR's) that is a solid start to build on and grow from. Admit it, the kid is a player. Why would CKS take his commitment if he wasn't? Maiava's starting experience at UNLV was a higher level than SBIV's 1st year starting experience at JC.

This player has the same path to starting as any player on the UGA squad. Never said he was better than anybody. But his path to QB1 is clear. Be better than everybody else. That's how CKS runs the team. Didn't we all learn that watching SBIV's path to QB1?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like I said on another thread I’m Dawgs TEAM first fan. Gunner Stockton fan second ( after Beck as he Is the starter). But there’s No guarantee or even close that this kid from UNLV would have out performed Gunner. Maybe Kirby was thinking of making Him the #3 guy not the other way around ??

All I’m saying is ANY QB that Kirby reels in better Clearly out shine Gunner and down the road Puglisi to else it will be prompting them to leave. Neither Gunner nor Puglisi is gonna set on the bench and watch guys come in and bypass them. They’ll leave and No one could blame them.

Kirby knows Far better what he’s doing than I do, I’m no football coach or expert. But I have a reasonable dose of common sense. If I’ve already been at a school busting my butt in class and in practices, learning the system etc. and even more so Have had some real game snaps even in garbage time in the SEC. And some guy from the TP comes in and just bypasses me I’m gonna feel snubbed and leave. Why would I stay with no inkling of Ever being The Man no matter how long I stay ??

SO these things said a TP guy better Show Clearly in practices he’s the better QB. Stats from another school in an inferior conference don’t really tell much about how he’d be in the SEC.

SO let’s say a guy from the TP comes in and Does show that he’s Clearly better than Gunner. And promotes over Gunner. Well I won’t be shocked if Gunner hit the TP. Which would put the Dawgs right back at only three scholarship guys.

OK so the TP guy comes in and Really shines Big Time, then God Forbid ( and I sure mean that) Both Beck and the great guy from the TP get injured. So then your down to the very talented but Inexperienced Puglisi. Season is pretty much shot at the point. Same scenario as Beck and Gunner Both getting injured. So I don’t understand Kirby’s logic on this at all.

If it’s Just to spread the ball around to UGA’s second, third, and fourth string Defenders the preferred walk-on guy should be able to handle those duties. I know it was vs a very thin FSU, but they Still had most if not All their Defensive guys in, and Gunner shredded them using primarily Second and Third string guys from the UGA O.

My advice to Kirby just be Extremely careful in your selection as Gunner shows Huge potential and was rated as such coming out of HS. I’m gonna support Any player that is a Dawg come game day !!

• Options

@UGADad20 Using Maiava’s stats vs Stets is not much of an indicator in my humble opinion. Vast difference vs SEC Defenses than Mt. West Defenses. Just sayin…..

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

How many times do I have to say 1) "Never said he was better than anybody" and 2) if any player wants to start he has to be better than the other players at his position? Not that hard to understand.

Only disagreed with @GoodOlDawg and @BigDawg888 that he could never be QB1. That is not what CKS tells the kids he recruits. At UGA a player has the same chance as any other player. Obviously CKS saw enough to bring in the player. He has 3 more years to grow. We all saw how much SBIV grew over 3 years. "Clear path to QB1. In '25. Clear path to QB2 in '24 IF".

Regardless of what you think of his stats, the numbers are the numbers. Against the people he played against and with the players he played with his completion % and passing yards were the same or better than more experienced, highly thought of CFB QB's. As a FRESHMAN starter he showed a lot of promise. There is more evidence that he can do it at the CFB level than there is evidence that the UGA back up QB's can do it at the CFB level. THAT's why he was being brought in and that's why CKS is very likely to bring in another more game experienced QB in the 2nd TP window.

How about SBIV's JC stats? 56% completion %, 1840 yards passing, 16 TD's, 14 INTS 148 yards rushing. Maiava's UNLV stats were better than SBIV's JC stats.

"OK so the TP guy comes in and Really shines Big Time, then God Forbid ( and I sure mean that) Both Beck and the great guy from the TP get injured. So then your down to the very talented but Inexperienced Puglisi." @navydawg You'd be in the exact same place you'd be in if you didn't bring in a TP QB and 15 and 14 got hurt.

It is typical of team's "fans" to trash a kid that flips his commitment. Not right but typical. A few days ago "fans" were excited about the potential this player brings to the team. Then he flips and he's garbage. Okay. CKS thought enough of his potential to take his commitment.

I don't need to be a cheerleader here. There are enough cheerleaders here already. This site needs more objectivity.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DIdn't see where anyone was trashing his talent. Maybe his wishy washyness, maybe I missed it.

• Options
    edited January 10

No need to get snarky with me as You did here: You people on this site think UGA has cornered the market on talented players. UGA. With seemingly All your fellow Dawgs fans on this Site. Now me. I’m Not putting words in your mouth if you Actually read my comments.

And yeah the Numbers are the Numbers in the Very Tepid Mt. West Conference. What’s that prove ?? Let me help you, pretty much nothing.

I tried to be respectful to You. So there’s no need for you to go snarky at me. And if you want numbers he was a 3 star out of HS ( probably Why he ended up at UNLV) Gunner was a high 4 or 5 star.

And you Repeated your words please allow me to Repeat mine. I Said Whoever and Whatever is best for the TEAM in now three different threads. But the possibility of Gunner leaving on that account is Real. See BVG now at KY. And if Gunner did so basic arithmetic shows the Dawgs would be right back at only Three scholarship QBs again.

Ive Never tried to portray myself as an Expert or Coaching Level or In The Know on here. But I Do have my fair share of common sense. It’d be asking the kid from UNLV or really Any QB from another system to come in and get the O down to the level Gunner has as he’s now going into his third year at UGA though he was redshirted.

So vs Any other QB he’s going into three years of knowing This system, and has practiced against the UGA Defense including at times the One’s. And though Yes his snaps have with the exception of the Orange Bowl been in garbage time, he does have SEC snaps. These things were All I was saying and Shouldn’t have been offensive. 🙄 P.S. And your Assuming that’s why he was brought in. What if he was Only the #3 guy at the start of the season ?? NO ONE Including the DN beat writers know the Exact Why that Kirby was willing to bring him in. All Kirby has stated is he feels more comfortable having 4 scholarship QBs. Kirby Has Not said we want another QB we’re sure hoping is Better than Gunner. That would be an Assumption on Anyone saying that IF and Until Kirby actually says that. And if Kirby Does say something like that look for Gunner to Leave putting them right back to Only three scholarship players. Oh and if your gonna use “objectivity” how about removing the Heavy slant you Tend to use. Else you might get feedback from us Cheerleaders.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I agree!

Colton Ginn has all the tools (see his HS championship game) and reeeeally wants to be here!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 1000%! with you and @GoodOlDawg !

We should have more than enough to fill the bill for QBs and Colton Ginn would be my pick!

Go Dawgs!

• Options

Totally agree. Those are my sentiments as well. Just my opinions nothing else. Kirby needs to do whatever He feels is best for the team. And I’m confident he will do his level best in doing that. What I Don’t see him doing is Saying or Even implying, we’re bringing in another scholarship guy because we don’t have faith in Gunner Stockton or Puglisi.

Kirby HAS stated he feels better with having Four scholarship QBs on the roster. That Does Not Mean that a guy from the TP will automatically get the #2 or #3 spot. He’s gonna have to Clearly Earn it. There IS a risk here as Gunner probably thinks he’s the #2 guy unless he does something wrong to lose it. He probably figures and rightly so that if he Continues to bust his butt in class and on the field he will have earned the #2 slot.

He Could have transferred when BVG did which would have left a big hole at the position because then you’d have only Two scholarship QBs. But like Beck he stayed. And he’s patiently awaiting his turn. SO if Kirby fetches someone from the TP that someone needs to be Clearly better. If Not it would show that Kirby and UGA place little value on Loyalty.

THIS said it’s gonna take an Extremely Quality guy to come in and knock Gunner out of the way as even though he redshirted he’s now entering his Third year in UGA’s system. Meaning going on 3 years knowing this system, 3 years going against the UGA Defense including at times the Ones and even though in garbage time going on 3 years of SEC real game snaps, Not the grossly inferior Mt.West Conf.

Now IF and that’s a big IF a guy could come in and Clearly Show consistently that he is Indeed better than Gunner, I don’t think there’s a soul that could knock Gunner for himself entering the TP and thus putting UGA right back at Only three scholarship QBs.

Last thought , Mike Bobo raved about Gunner in his comments. So either Bobo is deliberately misleading Dawgs fans OR Gunner in His view is a pretty solid QB. That’s all I know. Which ain’t much. 😀 Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

"They are just MW numbers". Tell me you don't understand football without telling me you don't understand football.

Football is a team game. Those MW numbers were earned behind MW OL with MW WR , TE, and RB as weapons, MW coaching, and MW facilities. The numbers aren't earned in a vacuum people. He was coming to play here with a better line, better weapons and I would hope better coaching. The windows are tight in the SEC because the WR and CB are both top notch talent. They are still tight in the MW because neither are particularly good.

Cody Schrader didn't seem to have any issues at Missouri despite having played outside the mighty SEC before he got to Mizzou. The reason Michael Penix struggled in the title game is not because he is not a talented QB, the reason was because he, as well as his surrounding cast, played a TEAM who was better almost across the board at every competing position.

• Options

I’m just throwing this out there as pure and wild speculation. It has NO validity on an official level at all !! But Yall don’t suppose that KS and Bobo are thinking of trying a Wild Dawg play more often in the system ?? A play where Both Beck and Gunner are in ?? In that scenario the possibility of Both QBs getting injured would be increased. I Know it’s a flight of fantasy.

But I can’t envision Kirby risking running Gunner off. Even IF a guy comes in and Proves Consistently that he IS in fact better than Gunner that would be taking a risk of running Gunner to the TP. Which would result in being right back at Three.

But and If it’s explained to Gunner ( and Beck) look we have a new play we want to incorporate into our system involving Both of you being on the field. BUT because of the risk of Both of you getting injured we need to bring in another scholarship QB to play in that event. Something like that would make more sense to me. I Could wrap my head around something like that.

• Options

Purely for reflection purposes this is Gunners HS stats:

High School: Rabun County HS, coached by Jaybo Shaw…selected to play in 2022 All-American Bowl…247Sports.com four-star prospect…ranked as the #7 quarterback prospect nationally, the #12 prospect in Georgia and the #102 prospect nationally…PrepStar Magazine five-star prospect, #5 QB prospect, #5 prospect in Georgia and #63 prospect nationally…ESPN.com four-star prospect, #4 dual-threat QB prospect, #7 prospect in Georgia and #90 prospect nationally…rivals.com four-star prospect, #2 dual-threat QB prospect, #4 prospect in Georgia…DawgPost four-star prospect and #4 prospect in Georgia…selected as the 2021 Georgia Gatorade Football Player of the Year… named to 2021 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11… led Rabun County to 11-2 record and GHSA Class 2A quarterfinals in 2021 senior season…completed 71.3 percent of passes for 4,134 yards and 55 touchdowns with only one interception for Wildcats in senior season…also rushed for 956 yards and 15 touchdowns on 137 carries…led Wildcats to 12-2 record and GHSA Class 2A semifinals in 2020 junior season…amassed 13,652 career passing yards, 177 passing touchdowns, 4,372 rushing yards and 77 rushing touchdowns in four-year career…holds state records in career passing touchdowns, passing yards and rushing touchdowns…helped Wildcats reach Class 2A quarterfinals in first two seasons…named to MaxPreps All-America First Team for baseball in sophomore season and named to Second Team in junior season.

• Options

With all due respect Cody Schrader is a RB. Your talking allot less responsibility at that position vs QB. And in my humble opinion the type Defenses the QB faces Does matter. Another measuring stick is this how many guys go into the NFL from the Mountain West vs the SEC ? I’m NOT saying the kid from UNLV couldn’t have made it and done well here. I AM saying that Gunner Stockton who I honestly Believe is a very good QB himself has a Two year head start on Any QB coming from the TP in This system and that matters. Also even a little facing SEC Defenses is better than none I would think. TIME is gonna tell the whole story as Kirby seems pretty intent on getting a QB out of the TP. And as I’ve said over and over Kirby knows Far better than I do. I just hope he doesn’t cause the bird in hand to fly off attempting to catch the bird in the bush !! Just my opinions nothing else.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad he is gone. Would of been a huge distraction for Gunnar. Now we really do need another qb but we should pick up a couple next year. One of the walk ons we have coming in is pretty talented and had offers.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y'all three are spot on, IMO.

I don't fault Maiava. With his family chipping in (and probably not used to being in the media spotlight), he stumbled a bit and was indecisive. They're trying to make the best decision for the opportunity of a lifetime: to compete for starting QB at an elite program with a chance to go pro. He's just a kid. Muddling his way through that kind of life-defining journey isn't a crime.

He's also probably making a rational choice. Caleb Williams' departure and Malachi Nelson's transfer gives Maiava an opening to pick up playing time next year. That opening was much narrower at Georgia, where he'd start off as the No. 3 guy with a solidly ensconsed Heisman candidate set as the starter.

The mayhem of the portal hasn't treated us so well this year. Since Judkins came out and signed with Ohio State, I've wondered whether different timing would have left us with the top running back rather than Etienne (not that I'm displeased about Etienne at all). And we weren't able to pick up any those former five-stars at Big Jimbo's A&M firesale.

Maiava looked like a lucky break: A more accomplished QB than I would have expected us to attract given our QB depth chart. It's not surprising that he decided to go to a place where he's more likely to play more.