Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See MG article today. "Not brought in to be a benchwarmer". WE have all heard CKS say over and over "the best player plays". Meaning the guy that works hardest and performs best in practice plays. (as it should be) And they ALL get reps at practice to show what they can do. One reason UGA needs a 4th quality QB. So they can basically run 2 practices at once. The cream usually rises. And UGA takes every recruit it values no matter who is already there.

I said it plainly multiple times. Never said anyone was better than anyone. Not sure how many more times I need to say it. At UGA the cream will rise to the top. If GS is the cream he will rise to the top. Never said he wasn't or Maiava was. Only that he would get the chance to prove what he is. Just like any player on the team. SBIV beat higher odds.

Yet you keep worrying about Stockton leaving. Good players leave UGA every season. That wasn't as much of a concern when everyone thought Raiola was coming. CKS recruits over everyone. You stay, show what you have, fight for a position, chips fall where they may. Maiava, Raiola didn't want to. My guess is some (a lot of?) money was involved. That's CFB. We'll see if GS and Puglisi do.

As for your GS stats they were against very small GA HS's. Kinda like 7A JV teams. Or kinda like Mt West stats vs SEC stats? According to Rivals GS was the 174th rated prospect. The 12th rated duel or pro QB prospect. His rating took a late tumble because of the level of competition and questions over his actual height. Hopefully he'll be everything you hope he'll be. I said in my original post that "GS has a high ceiling as a CFB QB". GS has nothing to worry about if he is as good as you think he is. I like his mobility and toughness.

CKS on the other hand likes to hedge his bets and tip the odds in his favor. CKS LOVES putting competition on every player. Helps to push and motivate him. The '24 UGA teams lacks experience especially at QB2 and QB3.

That's why Puglisi will RS this year. He will not be ready to play at the SEC level 9 months after a private school HS career in CT. Certainly not for a team in contention for a national championship. Don't be surprised if CKS brings in another QB from the TP. My guess is that GS won't be surprised.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree !! And Agree some more !! Especially with the last thing where you said that’s four that really want to be Dawgs. To MS that matters. One of the reasons I’m high on Puglisi and Colton Ginn the preferred walk-on. Ginn could have been starter at quite a few D2 schools and quite possibly some lower tier D1 schools.

Beck waited his time and after this year chose to forego the NFL he should be considered a DGD. Gunner was initially SC but Kirby and Company flipped him. He Could have left UGA in a mess and left when BVG did ( Not knocking BVG) but he didn’t he chose to Stay and wait his time. Just like the word Commitment Should Still mean something the word Loyalty ought to mean something to. Just my opinions .

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Apparently afraid of competition, and wants to start immediately..best of luck at an overrated USC program..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Smart post. You get it. May not get the experienced QB to back up in '24 ( 2 or 3) and compete in '25 now considering how late the add will be post spring. But CKS did it w/ JTD so it could still happen. This guy had a high ceiling and multiple years (in case UGA doesn't get a top '24 QB recruit). And not so good (Raiola) that Stockton would've been scared off. He would've been a good pick up. Maybe something better happens in spring? IDK.

CKS wanted things settled on the team. And he picked up good TP players. He didn't want uncertainty heading into spring. It would've been nice to add Overton and/or Judkins if this were fantasy football. But it is not. Lotsa rumblings that Judkins was a locker room problem this year, doubled his NIL asking price and was asked to leave. Overton would have cost ($$$) AND he was a package deal with his brother. That means giving up an extra scholarship.

I like the moves so far. Kid wants to play. He will immediately at USC. Will be fun to watch how well he does.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I also said Repeatedly that Whoever and Whatever was best for the school. And about the small HS thing. Gunner’s school was 2A. Herschel Walker went to a 1A as did Brock Vandergriff who just left.

And about my “worrying” about Gunner leaving No I’m not as theirs nothing I can do about it. It’s like Worrying if Both the #1&2 QBs get injured. It’s football people get injured. And it’s pretty realistic that Gunner or later on even Puglisi could leave depending on what’s going on.

Why don’t we take a look at Maiava’s HS stats ?? He was ranked a 3 star. Gunner a 4. Some sites ( you failed to note) had him as a 5 star. And for the sake of discussion let’s say some guy comes in from the TP and is Clearly and Drastically Better than Gunner. OK that’s fine. But If and it Could, prompt Gunner to leave then it’s right back to Only Three scholarship QBs.

What has myself and numerous other Dawgs here scratching our heads is Kirby has a Preferred Walk-On in Colton Ginn that just led his 4A Perry HS to a State Championship Win. Why not use him as the 4th guy ?? He should be plenty adequate to run that level. As for Mike G. he can and Does speculate just like the rest of us.

So some have questioned does Kirby trust Gunner or a lack there of. Well Mike Bobo his OC, highly touted Gunner, was just on here at DN not long ago. So that wouldn’t jive with any rumors of distrust.

Gunner has a Two Year now going into three year leg up on Any QB coming from outside the system. So not to sound like a broken record but he has Two years more of the UGA playbook, He’s practiced against UGA’s Defense including the One’s, and understanding that Yes it’s been mostly garbage time I Know that, but he has had Real game snaps at the SEC level and lastly he’s a pretty good QB in his Own right.

ALL and I mean ALL I’ve been trying to say is that I would Hope Kirby would be Very selective in Whoever he gets out of the TP. As Whoever that QB is will have a Very high mountain to climb or I would think so, to Match Gunner’s knowledge of the UGA playbook, plus Defenses have tendencies, Dawgs are no exception, I would think that Gunner knows those tendencies much better than a new guy coming in.

Now you think I’m lobbying for Gunner. I Sure Am !!! But I lobby for the Dawgs first !! You Seem by your earliest comments to be lobbying for Maiava over and above Gunner. That’s Why you received so many replies from so many other fans, not Just me. And My reply was respectful to you.

To your credit you came back and Clearly clarified your comments. Perhaps your having a bad day today. I’m sorry that’s happening if it is. But No One including You likes to be talked Down to. There are three ways talk Up as if your intimidated, talk down as if a person is Less than you, and the last which is Much More preferable to Most people, talk Across, as if we’re equal. All this “ You people” and “Need less Cheerleaders and more objectivity”. While that might hold truth, stating it that way is not gonna enamor people to your comments or thoughts. No One likes to be talked down to.

I’ve Never and never will Unless I’m offered a nice job in it, tried to portray myself as a CFB expert, or Coach, or have Insider knowledge. I’m just a long time fan nothing more. I Do learn from people on here all the time. Now if some program sees my comments and says Hey this guy is Really savvy about CFB let’s hire him !! Then I’ll call you and tell you about the pigs with wings flying around my house.

I’m sure he WILL Be but Kirby needs to be Careful on the steps he takes with the QB room. Personally speaking For Me, I think we’d be just fine with the three scholarship guys we have and the preferred walk-on. Because if Beck & Gunner Or Beck & ?? From the TP Both got injured ( and Gunner has hit the TP) the season is pretty much shot with the very talented but very inexperienced Puglisi anyway. Peace.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We fans don't know the entire stories of any of these kids. We don't know them personally and we certainly don't know why they do what they do, how they feel about what happens, or anything about them except what some writer writes and maybe what we see on some recruiting site videos. Everyone on this thread is just speculating. I admit that I was happy with the reports that this kid was coming to UGA, and I'll not be wishy-washy now and bash him because he (apparently) has changed his mind. So it goes. And if Kirby Smart believes he needs a fourth scholarship QB, then I trust that. So what if any of us think the three we have now are "good enough," or that this walk-on everyone is so high on is going to be the second coming of Stetson Bennett. Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. But Kirby says he'd like a fourth one so, you know, I'm hoping he gets him. And if Gunnar Stockton, or Ryan Puglisi or Carson Beck has a problem with that, or is challenged by that or whatever, then let doorknob hit you . . . I'm rolling with Kirby over the suggestions of any player or fan or media person.

I do agree with those who say, though, that we need a better word than "committed" for these kids. Maybe we could go with "declared." That's factual and only means the person has stated their intent to do something, not that they are actually going to do it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It turns out he didn't want to be here for whatever reason, doesn't really matter. If he doesn't want to be here I certainly don't want him here either. We are better off with people who want to be Dawgs than with those who are afraid of real competition for starting positions.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's just a lil itty bitty scared kid. You big bullies don't understand the kids got feelings, alright?

Whatever, he just wanted to get paid to be a backup and this way he is closer to home. That's not Dawg material. C'YA!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maiva Looks sort of stiff to me and robotic. Nothing against him personally. Wish him the best. He did what's best for him I reckon.

I like the walk-on much better! He's just a little light in the britches at the moment. GIve him a couple of years in the weight room and nutrition and just growing into his frame. Reminds me of a Trevor Lawrence in appearance. Not saying he'll be him.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior