Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart speaks candidly on his issues with the transfer poral, NIL

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited January 12 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart speaks candidly on his issues with the transfer poral, NIL

ATHENS — Kirby Smart knows he has to tread carefully when speaking about the transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

I like a three year commitment to include participation in bowl games. All players, scholarship and walk ons eligible for NIL. No TP during that commitment unless there is a Head coaching change. At the end of three years, red shirt years count, the player is free to enter the TP and also the HC is free to "fire" the player. I'm also dead set against "opt outs" for any player unless necessitated by injury......I still can't comprehend the hubris of ole Marv standing on the TOS side lines watching his team get waxed by Mizzo.....what a dip-sh__!

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The transfer poral? What’s that?🙂

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe if you're not playing in a bowl game, you should not be on the sideline watching your team play, unless you're injured and can't play, I get tired of those players getting a free trip to a bowl game and not playing, it's not fair to those that play in the game, then you have the camera man showing him all through the game, taking away from the game being played.

• Options
    BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like being eligible for the NFL. You’ve got to be there for three years before you can make any moves. Unless, it is for family reasoning.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe old days of stacking up your Freshmen, Red-shirt Freshmen, and Sophmores waiting in the wings behind the Juniors and Seniors is over.

WHat made BAMA so successful was having 4 and 5 star players at every position just sitting on the bench, growing and honing their skills, and biding their time until the upperclassmen were done and they simply got inserted. The"Process".

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So let’s have coach and staff involved with the next decisions. Not some paper pusher who thinks it sounds better.

CKS has some good ideas. I’m sure other coaches do also.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

The tsf portal should take place after the season has been completed. I like Smart’s suggestions, too. There should also be a limit on the number of tsfs a player can make.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Clearly something needs to be adjusted w/NIL and the TP to give coaches some roster stability yet still maintains the freedom of choice that the courts/gov't insist is essential. CKS's idea is interesting. Is it practical or reality? IDK. Typically, it would seem, the majority of players that UGA recruits/signs are some of the most talented in HS. You could assume most would be on the NIL($) track vs the educational (student athlete) track. Are the one's that are on the student athlete track foundational program pieces?

There have been rumblings that one of the main reasons for Saban's retirement was frustration with dealing with HS players over NIL, re-recruiting his own players every year and the resultant roster instability from NIL and TP. That, in itself, sounds like a full time job beyond the actual coaching part of the job.

Before this year I would have expected CKS to retire as UGA HC. But you can tell by CKS's recent comments that the extra weight of NIL/TP management is impacting his job/life satisfaction. Now, as bad as it (NFL) is, the NFL has to be looking better than it did. If only because the NFL has a system by which to manage the team. There are rules and they apply equally to each team. CFB, as it stands now, is chaos.

Of course I hope CKS stays at UGA until he retires from coaching. But something needs to change in CFB sooner rather than later to fix the mess that the gov't created for the NCAA to try and manage.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like CKS's idea too. I think what he's saying is there needs to be a binding contract between the school and player. As it sits now there is nothing to protect the schools investment in a player. That sort of instability has to be a nightmare for coaches.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

NCAA should start going after schools and collectives that are tampering with players before they enter the portal.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12
  • Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 12

This is similar to what I mentioned in an earlier post that universities already do with Early Decision/Early Admit/Regular Admit, etc. With the addition of the ability to "earn" NIL with performance (or lose it, also), this seems to be very defensible vs processes well-proven in the academic side of college. That's been review legally 1000s of times. You don't get to keep scholarships if you don't maintain performance, and you can earn them with improved performance.

Agreed with all below that "something" has to happen or, over time, it completely undermines the success of the vast majority of college athletes who never make it to the pros. Also, those who DO make it, but last for only a short period. IMHO, too little attention in all the media discussion is spent talking about how all these athletes benefit, as opposed to the Manning's, Penix's, Nix's, Railoa's, etc. getting to cash out.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

My understanding is that the collectives that provide NIL money are independent entities not associate with the school; therefore, they can have players sign contracts based on staying at the school, eligibility or having to pay the money back if they transfer. The problem is that no player would sign with a collective that required that when others don't. It would just become a negotiating point between the collective and the player and deciding how badly they wanted that player. The two or three year commitment sounds good, but the reality is that coaches leave for "greener" pastures all the time. The Washington HC has been there two years and is reportedly negotiating with AL right now. I'm sure he didn't tell his 2024 recruits that just signed or their parents he'd be leaving this year. Either college football is going to have a free market system for everyone (coaches and players) or no one.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe NFL is a tough row to hoe IMO. Very few Bellicheks in that world. MOst coaches get 3 years to produce and their out. At least Kirby can stay in one place instead of moving his family around constantly. Learn from Nick's short stay in MIami.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

First, I wish the ncaa hadn’t caved to the courts to allow immediate playing eligibility to second and subsequent transfers (except grad transfers). Second, transfers after freshmen year should be free. That 18-18 yr old kid doesn’t know what he’s getting into, when he signs, until he actually gets there. Homesickness, campus size, classes, practices, coaching staff; all these things may be more than he expects, and he finds it doesn’t suit him. Subsequent years he should know, so then transferring makes him sit a year. I’ve previously said I don’t mind non-cfp bowl opt outs as I view it as the start to next spring practice allowing the next players up to have a chance for some real game experience. As far NIL, I don’t like the collectives. They stink too much like big market cities vs small markets in pro sports. I don’t know what the solution is for them, but they need to be controlled to eliminate high priced bargaining for players.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree with Coach Smart that if a player signs with a school it should be for a certain length of time say 3 years, then you could transfer after that. That would do two thing probably more but it would let the coaches and the school know what they had to work with and the student would have to make his commitment to a school knowing he was going to be there for three years. That makes a lot more sense to me. Of course waving big bucks at an 18 year old who hasn't had much upbringing in responsibilities or much money in their lives is going to jump at the chance. Look at all the interviews and the kids say they want the NFL and that is what they are all working toward, that's where the money is. I certainly don't begrudge anyone wanting to make as much money as they can that is capitalism. Just take the time and hash over your options near and far. I wish all of them the best in life. GO DAWGS

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Several years ago, when the specter of NIL was first talked about, I did an informal calculation of monetary benefits of a "full ride" athletic scholarship at Georgia for a Georgia Football team member. Tuition and Board is only a very small percentage of what is received by the player. The additional benefits available over what the rest of us got from our money on the academic side includes, but not limited to, is access to a TEAM of full time tutors assigned to assist the student athlete. There assistance goes much farther than most realize. No, they do not take tests for the student or otherwise "cheat". But the system is certainly gamed. The tutors have in depth information on each course taken and the instructor/ teacher. Work assignments can be structured to ensure acceptance and a passing grade. Tutors also act as editors of papers, research assistants, motivators for the students. Imagine what your parents would have to pay to ensure your college education.

As to the athletic side, the athlete gets the best nutritional, body development, medical treatments available in this country. Imagine what the cost would be to have Kirby Smart and other coaches work with you to make you the best possible player at your position. The sad fact today is "player development" is so much more important to the average scholarship player and his family today than the traditional academic education. As a parent I spent hundreds of dollars each year on personal trainers for my son's development when he ran track in high school. That was over 20 years ago. Of course the value of the Georgia Bulldog's coaching staff alone could easily be considered priceless.

At the time, when all is considered, I came to a very rough conservative value of $275,000 PER YEAR for the average player. So I have always been unsympathetic to the idea players need compensation. In addition, the above, in scholarship form, these benefits are TAX FREE. I would expect NIL is subject to state and federal taxes. I wonder, if one day, the IRS will wake up and see the value of an athletic scholarship to a PROFESSIONAL Player to be taxable compensation?

You know, besides a possible signing bonus, minor league professional baseball players can spend years with low compensation, living out of a suitcase for a "someday" chance at the "bigs"

Presently, the massive compensations being paid to the best players creates a vast gulf between less gifted team mates. The stupidity of all this is so easily apparent. Please note CKS is really calling for making college football a professional system of paid players.