Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama ‘safe’ hire on paper Kalen DeBoer is ironic and risky in reality

Comments

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

If he can keep the current players he could do well. He has won with a lot less talent. How many 5 star recruits did he have? One or two? Obviously he can coach having lost 12 games in 9 years according to one reporter. We can only speculate at this point in time and that is ok. Some will be wrong and some will be right. Time will tell.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

3 years max and it all comes down to can you do it in the SEC?: Bama couldn't get the top 3-4 on their list and settled on this guy.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Columbus-1000% correct my friend and you are a true Dawg. Georgia is the premiere University in the country and will be for the next 10 years.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Talk about a tough act to follow! Can you imagine being the coach to replace Nick Saban? All in all, I think DeBoer is about as good of a hire as Alabama could have made at this point.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All Kalen DeBoer has done is win.

You can't argue with success. If he can keep most of the current roster intact then he's off to a great start. If he can't then he can always hit the portal himself. He's proven that guys want to play for him. I'm not worried and neither should Bama fans at this point. Just regurgitating other SEC coaches under Saban's tree to takeover does nothing for the program.

Kalen needs to do things HIS way, under his terms, and create his own program. He knows how to win, and if he can't do it at Bama then he'll be replaced. He'll just need to keep the Bama boosters at bay from trying to tell him how to run his program, because they probably want him to be a Saban-clone. Instead, a fresh perspective and new look may be just what Bama needs. Let's give him a chance.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It will be interesting to see which coaches DeBoer brings with him from Washington and who is let go at Bama. I may be wrong, but I think his OC and DC have been with him throughout his head coaching journey. I believe Bama tried to hire his OC (Grubb) last year before they had to settle for Rees. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here’s Hoping that he’s a massive fail and that Kirby and our Dawgs beat the brake shoes off of him and Bama every time we play them.

Also Hoping that we not only retain the best State Of Georgia players but get All the best players that Bama used to get. Wishing him the worse. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Retrospectives are all we have as metrics for the future. DeBoer knows he has gargantuan "shoes" to fill. I am also confident he will Golden Parachute to safety if this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity goes "south." We should know in a couple seasons.

• Options

Yep. Agree. This is my humble opinion as well. Hopefully we’re right and he’ll be a big time fail !! I’m not gonna wish Good things for Bama they are our Rivals.

Dawgs fans should’ve seen the comments on Their board after they “won” the SECCG. They were Laughing and commenting about knocking us out of the 3Peat. They are some of if not The most arrogant fans in CFB.

And hopefully like UF they will have to change coaches like socks !! And sink into the abyss like UF. Winning at WA does Not equate to winning in the SEC in particular Bama.

And I’ve got a feeling that he’ll think he Owes some of his coaches from WA and let some of the current coaches at Bama go. There by cutting ties in recruiting even more. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I know is WAshington beat Oregon twice in the same year. I thought ORegon had the better team. It's hard to beat really good teams twice in the same season. Washington and DeBoer got the best of LAnning and a 6th year(?) QB. I don't know what CKS could learn from LAnning? How to get beat?

• Options

I don't know that Saban did BAMA any favors quitting(retiring) when he did. THe timing wasn't good for his old team IMHO. Basically gave his AD one week to get people interviewed and to make the hire to try to hold the recruiting class together.

One has to wonder if the outgoing legend wants someone to come in and win in the way that he did. Not saying he's got a grudge at all but there's just a little bit of that ego in all of us.

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good article. I wish him luck and think he will need it. Following Saban is going to be extremely difficult job. WThe SEC and UGA need Bama to be strong. I'm a Dawg fan, but think we and the SEC need strong rivialries.

• Options

Lockesley? I can hear BAMA fans say. Talk about no your no sizzle.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent" - Lao Tzu

While I agree with all that are hoping Bama doesn't thrive under this guy, I'm not so sure it's wise to underestimate him, even in Year 1. I'm also positive Kirby won't. Further, after reading the text of Saban's interview in which he detailed making the decision 5 minutes before his speech to the team, I'm not so sure we wouldn't prefer Saban a few years out, as (by his own words) he felt he is losing his edge and not meeting his own standards.

This article gives a pretty in-depth profile of the guy, and I'll admit I knew very little of this. His flexibility based on the team he gets appears to be a strength.

Again, I'd like to be as certain as many of the DN commenters here that DeBoer will be a flop (fingers crossed!), but I think I'd wait and see for a while before writing him off... he's not to be taken lightly, I fear 🤔

• Options

I’m just Hoping and Wishing him utter failure. Only time will tell how well he does. He’s going into a real meat grinder trying to replace Saban with ultra demanding Bama fans. It’s pretty obvious though that he wasn’t Bama’s first choice. Hope the Dawgs beat the brake shoes off him and get all his best recruits Yearly !!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your last sentence may be the biggest issue. His OC and DC (Grubb, Inge and Morrell) have been by his side at I think 4 universities. I believe several of them were actually teammates of DeBoer’s when they were in college. There is clearly extreme loyalty and trust between these guys and they have had amazing success on both sides of the ball (love that term because a football has more than 2 sides 😉). They are all really good coaches and Grubb was the #1 candidate for OC at both Bama and Texas A&M last year. If DeBoer brings these coaches with him he will have to bump some really good recruiters/coaches currently at Bama. I did some research on these Washington coaches and none of them have connections in the SE. In fact, about the closest any of them have been to the SE is at Indiana for a year and Montana. It will take a heck of a lot of time to build relationships with HS coaches in the SE at a level equivalent to folks like Kirby, Muschamp, Bobo, etc. Stay tuned because this will be a huge issue over the next few weeks. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

I’m wondering if the many, many “coincidences” with officiating left with Saban ?? You know those game changing “coincidences” that seemed to occur like clock work in highly contested games on a seemingly regular basis and Not just with the Dawgs.

Perhaps and Hopefully the “coincidences” will be greatly reduced with Bama’s new HC. For UGA’s sake and for that matter the rest of the SEC I hope that will be the case. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m confident he’ll last longer than the last time Alabama hired a coach from the state of Washington (Mike Price from WSU, of Destinygate fame), but you make great points about how difficult it can be for outsiders to be successful in the SEC. Another example is Bret Bielema, who had a solid record at Wisconsin, but didn’t come close to replicating that at Arkansas. Not an apples-to-apples comparison with Alabama obviously, but Arkansas is not in a bad spot geographically for recruiting, and Bielema couldn’t get it done, his best record being 8-5. Maybe Glen Mason knew what he was doing after all when he had second thoughts about the Georgia job. 

• Options

Yep. Agree. Some of the former coaching staff are Already jumping ship. TIME. That’s the thing. Bama fans are Extremely Demanding, Much More so having had Saban. The new HC DeBoer might not be given the Time necessary to Fully get His system installed meaning also type players he wants. In about Three years, Bama fans will be Demanding a Ntl. Title !! He’s got a Very High mountain to climb !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Dawgs fans should’ve seen the comments on Their board after they “won” the SECCG. They were Laughing and commenting about knocking us out of the 3Peat. They are some of if not The most arrogant fans in CFB.".......As you well know navydawg, The gospel according to Kirby..."Humility is only a game away".....For sure Bama has 259 days til The Dawgs make the trip to Tuscaloosa, given they handle Western Kentucky, USF and Wisconsin Weasels.....IMHO Greg Byrnes has thrown red meat to every SEC opponent! .....At Tenn, at LSU and at Okieville is looking like humility smiling and 8 and 4 given our success in Tuscaloosa might be notice to Coach DeBore that renting might be a good option!