Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia’s toughest opponent in 2024 not Alabama, Tide radio host sounds off

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited January 16 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia’s toughest opponent in 2024 not Alabama, Tide radio host sounds off

ATHENS — The most demanding SEC college football season in history is on tap with Georgia on the pole position.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

You got the Seminoles story wrong. They tried to offer NIL money to Amarius Mims when he was already at UGA; they wanted to pay him to TRANSFER.

• Options
    GrumpyEGrumpyE Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

@ugachris it was during the time Mims was in the portal, technically he wasn't signed.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s not so much a coaches’ salary problem, nor a common sense problem. It’s a Jimmy Sexton problem. As agent for all these coaches, he is so much more intelligent than the professional university administrators he negotiates with, it’s not a fair fight. Consider, many of the administrators that Sexton haggles with for these coaches in contract negotiations are the same people who make up the playoff committee!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, our toughest 2024 opponent is Texas. They could be the next Bama going forward. Sark has done an amazing job and has a solid roster for next season including Isaiah Bonds, who they just picked up from Bama. Evers will be back at QB, and they return at least 4 starting offensive linemen. They do have some roster gaps to fill, but I think they are definitely in a better position than anyone else in the SEC besides the Dawgs and Ole Miss.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MontanaDawg Texas had an elite D-Line this year and it is gutted for next year. The SEC is a LOS game and UT doesn't have the beef on the defensive side of the line. I think next year's UT would be at least a touchdown underdog to this year's squad.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Georgia’s toughest opponent in 2024 not Alabama, Tide radio host sounds off”

Georgia’s toughest opponent year after year seems to be the injury bug. If CKS and staff can find the solution to that problem, UGA will be a big problem for all of these tough opponents.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

The order should be:

Texas

Ole Miss

Clemson

Bammer

Ole Miss maybe should be above Texas but jitters of playing in Austin may get our guys.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MikeGriffith why did the gump homer say Pruitt was better than Kirby? I'm not going to dig up his podcast to find out but I'd like to know how laughable his take is. Esp considering Pruitt is now coaching high school.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of them was very instrumental in winning 4 Natty’s for Alabama; and it wasn’t Jeremy Pruitt!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt who? That guy is a dumpster fire. Who cares what some Gump says anyways?

Kirby has 2 Natties and 2 SEC championships. What does Pruitt have? A show cause ruling that's what...

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 16

Jimmy pulled off one of the most masterful sales jobs EVER in the Bama/ Debore hiring.....Greg Byrnes was caught flat when Saban woke up and finally wrapped his head around what Mrs Terry had been whispering in his ear every morning this season. There is no way I'm buying Saban's approval of this hire....He was just ready to "put a lid on it".....Debore is an ok HC....a very fortunate HC willing to work just enough to rise above the poor to mediocre competition he's thus far faced. He was smart enough to recognize that Penix was good enough to beat most teams in the PAC 12....given he remains at WA next year I say he would not have made the 12 team play offs as TOS, Oregon look to be the leaders in the BIG whatever. Given where he's been, there is no way he knows the meat grinder he's signed on to.....The Debore family has traded the cool and rainy climes of liberal whackadoodle Seattle for HOT and HUMID "Heart of Dixie" Tuscaloosa.....Add Debore's total lack of concern in the recruiting arena and the Bama hire looks like scooter in the Tour De France/PAC 12 Indiana in the SEC........and that my Dawg Nation Brothers is why I'm looking more at Texas and Ole Miss next year!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 16

Still a lot of grey areas surrounding the TP. Hopefully the coming year brings some structure and clarification. The US government/court system is driving a system with no restrictions on player movement or payment.

It is not tampering if somebody(anybody?) throws NIL $$ at a player in the TP it seems. The question is/was "was Mims enticed into the TP with promises" (tampering)?

UGA's toughest opponent in '24 will be the same as it was in '23. Injuries. However, w/the additional playoff games, the break between SECCG and the playoffs will be shorter. Creating less time to "get healthy". Makes winning the SEC (bye) even more important in '24. Conference game losers will have to play an extra game and have less rest.

FSU perceives Norvell as a "top CFB coach". Didn't want to lose him and replace him w/????. Not sure you can put the UGA/FSU beatdown totally on him. Norvell has been active in the TP. FSU has signed (so far) 5 players from AL, and 1 each from UGA, FU, LSU and Mia.

@99nout I saw that part of the MG interview on monday night. The AL "insider" (I thought it was somebody from Duck Dynasty) said that CKS killed it on 1st and 2nd down but gave up more conversions on 3rd down ("3rd and Kirby") than Pruitt did. To me the slight was a planned moment of "controversy" to prop up MG's show. And also to promote MG buddy Pruitt for an analyst spot on AL's staff. Look at CKS and then look at Pruitt. One is a CEO the other is a truck driver. (Before you say it nothing wrong with being a truck driver. It just isn't a CEO of a multi million $$ corporation. Anybody that makes a living supporting themselves deserves respect and admiration, no matter what they do (legally)). AL fans have to try and sell themselves something other than their current reality.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Does college football have a problem with coaches’ salaries, or common sense?"______@MikeGriffith

Not their money....not their problem.

Therein, lies the rub. No incentive to change or reel in the blatant greed. You pay a coach "10 mil a year"...and Fans cry, "why don't you pay him 12?". Lol

Fans, Taxpayers and Alumni are the only people who's interest it is...."to fix this mess". The absurdity and vulgarity hasn't hit em hard enough yet....but, that worm is starting to turn....with the price of a cheeseburger reaching nearly $10. Lol

IMO....That's the real change in CFB. Competition has shifted from the gridiron on Saturdays....to off field competition between Jan and Aug. [Recruiting, Coaching hires, facilities, logistics, etc]....it's about who spends the most "trying", not what they do with it, between Sep and Dec.

It may be "a business"....but, it's not exactly a "results driven business". It's more about growing a fanbase and feeding them a morsel of "hope" every now and then, to keep em coming back. Kind of like the Entertainment Industry.

It sure as hell, ain't about Football....IMO.

• Options

Agree 100%. Let's look at Washington for just a sec.

Didn't Washington's HC get fired in 2021 for "not getting vaccinated? That means...Deboer took over a stocked program and took somebody else's players to the dance in '23. It's been done [huh, Urban?]. IMO....he doesn't get all the credit for '23's success.

I "will" give him credit for Michael Penix, assuming it was his coaching that pushed Penix to elite QB status.

Now....let's see him build a program, in the SEC, after all the transfers and NFL declarations....and, NO quarterback, to speak of. Time will tell...whether he's another "Bryan Hanson"....or a "Bryan Kelly". My money is on Harson....Lol.

I don't have much faith in HC's like Deboer and Lincoln Riley, when it comes to transitioning from the PAC12 to the SEC. I'm just amazed that Deboer & Washington were able to beat Dan Lanning & Oregon....not once, but twice, this year. That could say something. We'll see.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options

Lol....you're right....my bad. I don't really keep up with the "left coast", much....and, my memory ain't what it used to be. I'll have to start fact-checkin' myself.

I still think Deboer is the "setup man" for a Lane Kiffin or Dan Lanning to take over, in 2 or 3 years [if not sooner]. Gotta give those Bammer' Fans some red meat to chew on. Tire em out a little bit, before throwing the "real guy" into the arena.

That being said....Deboer may surprise the hell out of all of us. I don't know a whole lot about him. But, his resume' wasn't that impressive, to me....even after doing a little digging for context.

Go Dawgs!