Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: All-everything Georgia HS quarterback Julian “Ju Ju” Lewis reclassifies to 2025 class

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited January 16 in Article commenting
imageBREAKING: All-everything Georgia HS quarterback Julian “Ju Ju” Lewis reclassifies to 2025 class

This Sentell’s Intel rep has the latest with 5-star QB Julian “Ju Ju” Lewis. The 247Sports Composite has quickly re-ranked him today to the nation’s No. 5 QB and the No. 61 overall prospect for 2025. Rivals.com has elevated him to the nation’s No. 1 overall QB and No. 2 overall recruit for the cycle.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

watching Ju Ju's film I only have one thing to say..****! Sign this kid...his skills are off the charts!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the tape of this kid… Not a bunch of bells and whistles, inserted arrows and circles... just play after play of him effortlessly slinging the ball all over the field, all on a dime. What a coup it'd be to flip him from USC and bring him home where he belongs. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not directed at the young man.I think it’d be great to get him at UGA. No this is just a general comment. I guess with NIL now it’s gonna be How Much does a player cost ?? And How Much do we want to invest him ?? And lastly How Much IsThe Other School offering him ??

It’s just So sad to see CFB get to this level. Can’t knock the kids, really. If someone were waving $3 mil at me at age 18 I’d take it to !! Even though if he chooses the Wrong school ( him and any other recruits) it could ruin the Much Bigger money of the NFL because. of going lower in the draft. But anyway in this young man’s case Yeah he’s a sure nuff QB/Athlete so it’d be great to reel him in.

Just sad because I remember a time when guys came to UGA exclusively because they wanted to be a Dawg. Those days are rapidly departing not just for UGA but All CFB. 😥

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC? Help me understand a kid who has no desire to play for a NC?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whatever our chances of flipping him may have ever been, it seems like this could only hurt? Bumping his signing up a year would make our QB room a little more crowded for a little longer than it would have been if there were another year for things to space out a bit.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Caleb Williams had USC in a position for the playoffs a year ago, but they had no defense. Same thing happened this last season. They have finally put together a very good defensive staff and with the expanded playoff, I think they absolutely have a shot in the next few years.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@wpony714 "I think they absolutely have a shot in the next few years"

Yeh, but it's all projection. Maybe this and maybe that.

I think he's going there to be developed by the coach for the next level which there's nothing wrong with that I suppose, just me, but I would want to play for a team with a track record and a coach that I know would be competing for a NC. Why speculate about maybe going to the NC if we canget all the cards to fall our way?

I'm sure the whole Southern Cal vibe thing is cool and all. THe girls and such. He looks like he could fit in well there. Maybe he's just not into playing for it all.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe his goals are more personal? Make the most NIL, be coached by LRiley, win a Heisman and be a #1 overall NFL pick (Mayfield, Murray, CWilliams)?

UGA not having DRaiola on the roster is now an advantage for UGA. It makes flipping JLewis from USC a little easier and UGA more appealing. Still expected to take a boat load of NIL to land the #1 QB in the '25 class.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly. The kid is entitled to have HIS OWN REASONS for not necessarily wanting to play for UGA. I know it may seem strange to most Dawg fans, but not EVERY 5-star player in Georgia likes UGA or wants to play for us. And that's OK. It doesn't make them ****, or bad kids or afraid of competition, or anything else negative. They just want to do something else, somewhere else, with their lives. I do agree @UGADad20 that Raiola's decision helps us with 2025 prospects (which was always my biggest issue with his late flip, it kept us off the trail for top 2025 QB's), but now the question is can we reel Lewis in? Is he even willing to be reeled in? But I guess as long as he doesn't transfer to Buford for his senior year, we have a chance. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

His tape looks very, very good. Who wants to spend 3 or 4 years being called a Trojan? Come to Athens and be a Dawg!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

NIL needs to be capped at around $500K per year and paced into a trust until graduation or being drafted. The only way an athlete should be able to have access to the funds prior to meeting one of those criteria should be for a family emergency or if for some reason the sports career coming to an unexpected end.

NIL is creating a system of have and have nots before the kids even get to a pro career. Money is going to destroy CFB.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can someone explain to me how he's going to go from being a junior next year to being a senior just by saying it is so?

Aren't there a large amount of credits he would need to graduate?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 16

You and @reddawg1 bring up a good point beyond just football development. Maybe he wants to live the LA lifestyle and has show biz/announcing aspirations after football? Wasn't it Christen Miller or Mykel Williams that initially was interested in USC for the off the field possibilities? From an entertainment industry standpoint is it better to spend 3-4 yrs as a big fish in LA or Athens? Especially for a high profile QB who is likely to be the face of the team and have a lion's share of attention/opportunities.

From a pure football standpoint there may be no bigger/better opportunity for a QB commit than UGA. After Beck leaves the position is wide open.

• Options
  • Options

In Riley's first season, USC went 11-1 and then missed the playoff after losing to Utah in the CCG. His unwillingness to fire his bestie, Grinch, is what cost them a shot this season. He's replaced Grinch with a very good staff and USC has never had a problem attracting skill players on offense. With 12 teams, I have no doubt that with a good QB, USC can and will make the 12-team playoff. And therein lies the difference....I said make the playoffs, not necessarily go to the NC game. Only 2 get to do that.

Note....there are "girls" all over the country. That isn't a consideration.

A lot more players classify the other direction and delay entrance to college. To go early, they only need to inform the NCAA and they have to have completed the NCAA's 16 required core courses. After that, they can complete classes online. Once their stated graduation date has passed, they can still have one outstanding class to complete if necessary.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apparently @99nout , and I got this from another site so not speaking it as gospel, kids in Georgia (and perhaps other states) can get lots of extra credit(s) by taking online courses in addition to their regular in-person high school classes. Apparently, many kids do this to bump up their graduation timelines (think about all of the high school players who can and do enroll in college early, right after Christmas). I'm assuming it's much the same process, but the kid just has to take more courses. Again, there are likely some Georgia educators or somebody on this thread who understand the process better than me, but I had the same question elsewhere and that's the answer I got. Hope that helps. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He committed to USC, back when people still thought, Lincoln Riley was "the bomb" and a "QB guru". Give him a break....Lol.

I'm betting, he secretly wants to be a Dawg, regardless of the NIL situation. He's gotta convince the people in his "circle"....once he's settled on it, in his own mind. You know, there's dollar signs, in some of those eyes.

I think some of these kids are starting to get the "pic" (tic). If you become a UGA Bulldog....you become part of an extremely valuable "network" of former Dawgs. They rival some of the great Fraternities from Ivy League Schools. It's like going through life, with an "Ace up your sleeve.". That's worth more than mere money. 😁

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Am I the only one not interested in where a recruit goes out of hs anymore? If they don't get the playing time, NIL isn't renewed, etc., they'll be in the portal and playing for us the next season. Most of the elite kids don't care about development coming out of hs these days, they want to be in the league in 3 years and to get paid.

The college football I fell in love with growing up is dead. Long live the almighty dollar.

Now that I'm sufficiently depressed, I'll at least end on a high note...Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’ve got some great ideas there. I agree. But getting the powers to be to actually get off their duffs and Do something positive will be like pulling teeth.

You know giving an 18 yr. old say $3 mil straight out might actually be Dangerous in a way. It would take someone much more mature some serious considerations of what’s best to do with that kind of money. But not many 18 yr olds out there are into “serious considerations”. There are some exceptions.

But a young feller could actually get himself in trouble with that kind of money to toss around. I bet when these young guys actually get the money and the word gets out, I bet they find themselves with many more “friends” they didn’t know they had !!

I sure Hope that the NCAA will develop some reasonable guidelines like those you spoke of. It’d be better all around. But I won’t hold my breath waiting for the NCAA.

• Options
    nanadawgnanadawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

The reason these players can matriculation early is two-pronged. First, as someone said below, they can get extra credit through Georgia's virtual school. Another route is called Joint Enrollment. If a player's SAT and grade average meet a certain threshold, the student can complete his high school diploma by taking and passing college level courses. The student gets college credit for the work as well. I call it double dipping. I know all this because I taught high school for 8 years and my daughter was enrolled in Joint Enrollment in lieu of her senior year in high school. She loved it. 😍