Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Caleb Downs commits to Ohio State

Comments

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why do we keep glorifying these recruits rejection. There are plenty of outlets to announce their betrayal of your home state team. Its not like we needed him. He rejected us twice and he only considered us because a better offer hadn't pop up yet. OS shows up with money in hand and breath a sigh of relief. I'm not saying we should have shot our shot but hey do you announce to the world you were rejected by a girl if your friends weren't there to see it. SMDH

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 19

Nobody cares. For most of these players, CFB is a stepping stone to something bigger. Do they want to win in college, sure, but the main thing is the main thing and that is the NFL and the wealth that comes from it. OSU has like 50% more pro-bowlers all time than UGA. If the goal is NFL success, OSU is a better place to go than most. That's also ignoring the fact that OSU has just as many titles in the past 20 years as UGA has. They aren't a poverty program.

Losing Downs hurts, but UGA was never winning that battle. They probably aren't going to win that battle for most top level portal recruits either. Kirby is much more focused on HS recruiting and not portal recruiting.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The one that got away twice. I believe money had a lot to do with this, the love of which is the root of all evil.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Haha thanks for the downvotes guys. I’m just here as a Dawg fan who also wants to see Ohio State eventually fall like the Patriots finally did

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me....the faulty words in your statement, were "most kids".

It's far from "most kids". Out of the thousands of kids playing DIV1 CFB....only a very small percentage will even be "afforded" an NFL opportunity. And, of those....only a few dozen "may" still be around in 3 or 4 years.

This "money thing" only effects a small talented group [~300] of athletic football players out of HS each year. And, only about 50 of those will get over 100 thousand in NIL money....maybe.

They are currently required to stay in College for 3 years before getting a job in the NFL.....under some delusion that they are Amateur Athletes and Students....and, "they should get an education". THAT will be the next "Domino" to fall....IMO.

"That's also ignoring the fact that OSU has just as many titles in the past 20 years as UGA has. They aren't a poverty program."______@rxmaster

I don't look at it that way. I look at trends. UGA & Texas are trending UP....OSU and USC are trending DOWN....and, UA & UM are starting over.

I don't care how many they won "yesterday"....I only care how many they'll win "tomorrow". OSU ain't winning nothing....yesterday or tomorrow....under Ryan Daye. So, you can carry their flag if you want to....but, you'll see a big Red "G" passing by you on the "All-Time List" in the next 15 to 20 years.

It's a new day, with an expanded playoff. It'll be won on the field and not in a polling booth. Lol

Do you know how many Natty's UGA would have won if they'd played the first 100 years under the CFP System...vice the old biased Polling/Formula system?. Which was controlled, mainly by Northern/Midwestern Sports Media, btw.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The crazies are out tonight. Grown men obsessing about where a kid goes to school. It's really pathetic.

• Options
  • Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guy chose Columbus Ohio over Athens GA to play football for the next two years...Have fun living in that SO and playing for a guy that can't win anything other than beating crap Big zero teams and oh yeah James Franklin at Penn State.

Go Dawgs...

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he was playing the schools against each other. Telling osu he could get x at UGA and going back and saying "they upped your offer." I don't think Kirby gets in bidding wars but kids negotiators do what coaches do to get a raise.

• Options

I got a question....Other than the sports media world and high-dollar "flapping-gums"....who said, "Caleb Downs wants to come to UGA.".....OR....."Kirby Smart is recruiting Caleb Downs to UGA.".

Did those words ever come out of either mouth [or, fingertips, Lol]?

Is ???.......Everybody just assuming, that's the case....when there could be a number of reasons that Kirby has passed on Downs. He passed on Will Anderson. Never offered him a scholarship....and, he was right down the road.

Kirby could be protecting the "culture" he built in Athens, by NOT bringing him in. UGA already has "stars" at that position, and maybe Downs wasn't willing to discus a position change, to Corner.

In any case....everybody should still be happy with where the Dawgs are, right now....especially in the defensive backfield. Getting Downs would've just been a Cherry on a very rich cake. Nice....but, unnecessary.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

3 new sentences (with errors) and a C&P. Good work C.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yawn. No more controversy over him now. I think we have some pretty dawg gone good players in our secondary room. We Might already have a Caleb Downs type player or Two that just haven’t had the opportunity to Show their skills yet. This could be a blessing in disguise. Anyway he’s not coming to UGA. Let’s do battle with what we have. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

When di osu win a title? Who has the most player drafted in the last 3 years? Clue It aint osu with the whiney coach

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would’ve been nice to get him, but as someone already said, you can’t get everyone. And it wasn’t a position of need. For this story, I’m more concerned about the atrocious lack of proofreading-

“Georgia has once again spurned the Georgia Bulldogs, as the safety committed to Ohio State.”

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So can we finally stop reading that old and VERY tired comment about how he doesn’t play like a freshman? Good grief, I am so sick of seeing that in every article.

Let’s waste no more space on this kid as he has nothing to do with the Georgia program.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me the real story is all of the predictions by so called experts that he was going to come to UGA. Sort of like Dan Lanning was in Tuscaloosa the day after Saban's retirement, when in fact he was in meetings all day at Oregon and went home to watch a movie with his kid. Too much fake news and pure speculation just for clicks. It sure sparked a lot of conversation on this forum, myself included. Bottom line, we don't know what Kirby did or didn't do to bring him here. Just last month we were celebrating Kirby flipping KJ. I see plenty of talent in the safety room. Let's enjoy what will probably be Starks last year. I envision a early rotation at the other safety position between Dan Jackson, with his experience, and KJ with his off the charts talent, until KJ takes the reins for the majority of the snaps. With KJ in early, maybe he is ready day 1 against Clemson, like Starks against Oregon. As far as T Rob, I agree with a prior post, he was brought in for the future as a top recruiter and possibly the next DC if Schu ever leaves. His title already is Co DC.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s always disappointing when a talented young man chooses another university. But in the end, we wish them well and move on.