Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Sentell’s Intel: Why KJ Bolden already seems wired right to excel playing for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 25 in Article commenting
imageSentell’s Intel: Why KJ Bolden already seems wired right to excel playing for Georgia football

This Sentell’s Intel rep has the latest with Georgia freshman safety KJ Bolden. He finished the 2024 recruiting cycle ranked as the nation’s No. 1 S and the No. 13 overall prospect on the 247Sports Composite ratings. The On3 Industry Ranking rated him at No. 1 and at No. 12 overall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 26

Williams....wasn't it?

Oh wait....that was 2 years ago. Lol.

There's always somebody that "apparently", got away. Then....the Dawgs go on to make it an insignificant nostalgia piece, that Sportswriters occasionally reference....as if it were fact.

I don't believe either Smart or Downs were interested in each other. Neither, expressed any real interest in the other.

That was a Sports Media drum beat, using "the law of probability" and "rumor" as drum sticks. They created more stories by being "wrong"....than they would have if they "printed" the truth.

IMO....ESPN did it....[created a false connection between Downs and UGA]....to embarrass Kirby Smart and UGA. I.e.,...."He lost a major recruit to OSU and Ryan Day.". He didn't "lose" anything he "tried to get". The truth is....Downs never got an "offer" from Kirby.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come on man, we can admit he would have been a great addition to the team. Smart sure seemed a willing participant in that little post-game catchup that they had.

And it wasn't just national media covering the portal recruitment. Every local source I can think of thought he was coming to Georgia, and still insist that it was practically a done deal before the megabag at the 11th hour. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. It's fine. Georgia still has great players, including arguably the best safety in the country.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watching the highlights embedded in this article, he is such a smooth athlete. On offense and defense he finds the ball. As a safety he looks willing to strike the ball carrier. On returns he is elusive and seems to be gliding as he outruns his pursuers. From other articles, it is obvious he is a great team mate and others want to play with him. Thank you Kirby for your persistent attention to this young man. Looks like he will be a tremendous addition to the Dawgs.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So excited to have KJ on this team!

Prediction: Freshman All American

He's going to be great and make us forget about that other guy. Starks, Aguero, KJ, Ellis, Everette

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 26

Usually, it is very difficult to predict which 1-3 freshman will make significant contribution (i.e. winning, starter level contributions) on O or D. But IF UGA is to attain the level/standard of previous championship defenses somebody has to step up big at S, OLB and DT.

Understandably, CKS did not want to upset the UGA NIL standards by giving CFB FA CDowns what amounted to a blank check. W/o Downs, when you look at the S (not star w/Aguero) position, you see MStarks and no one else ready to compete at the JBullard and TSmith level. That is scary.

The lack of proven, quality depth across the secondary is scary. There is young talent (1, 6, 12, 12, 8) capable of stepping up. And some experienced players (14,17, 20) to fill in spot game reps to rest the starters. But to make any assumptions that the '24 D will be better than the '23 D (or '22, '21) assumes that many players will play markedly better than they did in '23. Not impossible but 3, 22, 23 and 10 will be big shoes to fill.

Unless UGA pulls someone else from the spring TP, KJ will have to be counted on to step up and play this season on D. A LOT. Saw KJ play numerous times. He often/always looked to be the best player on the field. So he is definitely capable.

I would not be surprised (in fact I expect it) to see UGA pull another S from the TP in the spring. CKS likes his SEC TP additions and anyone coming from the spring TP must come from outside the SEC (or be a grad xfer) to be eligible this season. This (KJ) is 1 time it is less difficult to predict. 1) need 2) skill.

I said it last year. IF CChambliss is your starting OLB you don't have a championship level D. That looks to be corrected in '24. IF DDS (#14) is your starting S you don't have a championship level D in '24. Lotsa players will need to make significant improvement in '24 to return to the D standard UGA set the last 3 seasons.

I thought KJ would play some WR this season as well as S (and possibly CB). But now, with the lack of star level S talent, the need is for KJ to focus on getting to starter level at S.

• Options

I have a feeling, bringing in T-Rob to coach DB's is gonna make all the difference in the world. I thought they should've had 2 or 3 times the number of turnovers, they had last season. Bama's DB's have been known to be "ball-hawks" and and play aggressively.

IMO....The Dawgs have all the material they need to build a "Championship Defense"....with 4 of the best architects and contractors in the business...[Kirby Smart, Muschamp, Robinson & Schumann]. I expect a lot, not because of any "one player"...but, because of the collective team and their player-enforced standard.

• Options

C'mon E_Roc...."local media" picks up their stories from "national media". It was an ESPN Reporter that "broke the story". And, speculated on the Finebaum Show.

Lol...but, that's neither here nor there. I think everybody in Georgia "expected" him to pick UGA. When he went with OSU...and, his Dad said what he did [unfortunately]...you would've thought that family, blew the whistle on Todd Gurley's autograph signings.

It's all an unfortunate mess...and, unnecessary, IMO.

Yes....Downs would make any team, better....except, maybe UGA. There's only so much room on one team for "star-power". The Dawgs have more than their share of "that", with the likes of KJ Bolden & M. Stark holding down the fort at safety and the #1 CB recruit coming in.

T-Rob will have em ready to play Championship football, by the time they get to Tuscaloosa. You can bet on that.

It would've been nice to have him back there...but, not at the expense of KJ Bolden. IMO...he's just as versatile and talented...yet, he has 3 years eligibility vice 2.

Personally....I think Downs made the best decision for HIM. He will be playing in a pass-happy league, with lots of interception opportunities. As a one-of-a-kind. He'll stand out in a league that doesn't "really" believe in defense. Lol

• Options
    edited January 26

Oh another "feeling". How's that been working out for ya? I didn't realize a S coach who will help Schumann coordinate the D could have that big an impact on all 3 levels of the D.

CKS has said it too many times to count. Players make the plays that win games.

I hope that TRob doesn't teach what he taught at AL. In a year of DB's grabbing and holding (I called it after the 1st week last season) Alabama' s 2 1st rd NFL CB's and their 2 future 1st rd S's were the grabbiest. That won't fly with the talent currently at UGA or the refs.

UGA has mostly the same coaching staff that was outcoached in the SEC CG. There are a lot of good coaches. Players make the difference. Just like I said before. There is a lot of talent, much of it inexperienced, at UGA. Multiple players will have to take big steps forward to even live up to last year's defense.

• Options
    edited January 27

Just sit back and watch. As usual. Lol

IMO...Coaching wasn't the issue in the SECCG. In fact...that may have been their best coaching effort of the year...even though they lost.

They kept the score close, using Freshmen and Lame Veterans all over the field. Timing and communication was disrupted...but, dealt with. They were plugging up holes as they found em, hoping they would spot em before Saban.

I thought they did a helluva job, all things considered. But...you're a "fan"...you wouldn't understand. Lol

• Options
    edited January 27

"IMO". We know what that has been worth. LOL

"they kept the score close" to a team you said "will lose 4 or 5 games" in '23. Ya that's the UGA standard CKS has been preaching.

The "lame veterans" you mention were 4* and 5* players who had been coached up by your apparently unmatched coaches for multiple seasons.

"timing and communication was disrupted". LOL That's what happens when you are out-schemed and out executed i.e. outcoached.

"hoping they would spot them before Saban". The same coach you said had lost it and couldn't compete w/CKS anymore.

Are you ever right about anything? I have a feeling the only "lame veteran" fan around here is you.

Every time you open your mouth here you embarrass yourself.

• Options
    edited January 27

Lol....a helluva lot more than your simple point of view. But, to each his own.

When Kirby said, "It's scary, what fans think they know."....he was talking about people like you. Lol

You're just cryin' cause your Tide team is "done". I don't blame you, for wandering into other successful teams' websites from time-to-time. Just to get a whiff of success.

Feel free to come on back and get schooled, anytime.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that KJ will not only meet the standard set by Starks but exceed it....."take over the field" and in so doing will make Nitro Tuggle a "Pickens" receiver cause steel sharpens steel!

• Options
    edited January 29

There is not a single football point in your comments. (as usual)

You think you have enough knowledge to school someone but you don't. You are only grand in your own mind. It is clear to everyone here every time you run your mouth.

Again, Sherlock, I am not an AL fan. I am a UGA fan. I just knew that AL was not a "4 or 5 loss team in '23" . It was pretty obvious that the team with the #1 blue chip player ration that was coached by Saban would be a top 3 team. Just like AL with a top 2 or 3 blue chip ratio and a #2 '24 recruiting class will be formidable in '24. And not "done" . Yup, you are really schooling people. LOL