Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Do UGA fans support basketball -- really?

MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 27 in Basketball

Everyone talks a good game, but you just don't see a lot of talk or support on social media.

This game here, was a thriller!

Comments

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I suspect many on this board are simply not as excited about the sport of basketball as they are about football. Once UGA becomes a tournament regular, that might change.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Not a big basketball fan. Never was interested in the game. Baseball the same way unless actually playing......College Football about it other than watching Cricket on ESPN+ when I can't sleep

• Options
    RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have low expectations for them.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The best look for a basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I absolutely support our Bball team and I’m excited about them. I just don’t yet know enough about them to have strong opinions. I’m working on learning more.

I watched the FL game and was impressed with the comeback. I will be very excited if we can make the tournament.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They (UGA Men's BB, and the fan support too) will all eventually improve.... UGA fans rooting for men's basketball for years, and years, they have been so let down just too many times to even try to remember....

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That game in Gainestown was a bummer. It's all about the players, and we don't have enough really good players. A killer shooter, a bully on the boards or a defensive frustrater would be a good add. The guys are all good college level players and they play pretty well together, just need a stopper. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 4

I went to some of the games when I was an undergrad… because we had ‘Nique! 🤣

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What you are looking for is improvement. Georgia doesn't have the history in Bball to go from rags to riches.

The fact White has at least people taking about the tournament and this team in Year 2 is encouraging. White is known as a recruiter too so lets see who he can bring in.

Seems headed in the right direction for sure.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought baskets were for picking peaches :)

• Options
    csdawg12csdawg12 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Hey Boomer, the stadium was filled. Does UGA Athletics support the fans? Garbage take

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was a bit before my time, but weren't the first "baskets" actually peach baskets?

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well thought this year might be the year we make the dance but can’t go on a losing streak like this and make it in. We are a year away. Need a dawg down the stretch that can score and guard play has to be a bit better on the road. Needed that W last night. Still think White is moving in the right direction. Has had some good wins this year. Beating Scar on the road is looking really good right now. They may be best team in SEC.

• Options
    BackHomeBackHome Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 9

I never missed a game in school, and I still like UGA. We weren’t world beaters then either. But over the ensuing years, my interest in basketball spectating generally has declined. I’ve taken the family to some games for the atmosphere.

For more than a few years recently, the product on the floor wasn’t what I would call entertaining. It almost hurt me to watch. That seems to be changing at least.

Long season, lots of games, ok. But I think the player turnover in basketball has hurt the game for me, or let’s say my enjoyment of it anyway. It feels like a nonstop pickup league with almost entirely new players on the team year after year. One and done, transfers, etc- I mean yes, we cheer the school, but I also like feeling these guys might be as into it as much as I am.